Ticket prices and profit seeking

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Posts: 2744
Joined: Apr Mon 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: Ticket prices and profit seeking

Post by theBIGyowski » Feb Fri 27, 2015 3:49 pm

Disney decided to price the 2-BR bungalows out of the majority of Americans' price range...because they know the wealthiest of the wealthy will pay it. It's not that much more expensive to stay in an actual bungalow in Fiji...where the water below you is crystal clear and you have lots of beautiful fish swimming below as well.

They could have easily made it $1,500-$1,800 per night and that would have weeded out the average Joe's...but the price they're going to ask is on par with Golden Oak.
Image

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18489
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Ticket prices and profit seeking

Post by Amy » Feb Fri 27, 2015 9:53 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:Disney decided to price the 2-BR bungalows out of the majority of Americans' price range...because they know the wealthiest of the wealthy will pay it. It's not that much more expensive to stay in an actual bungalow in Fiji...where the water below you is crystal clear and you have lots of beautiful fish swimming below as well.

They could have easily made it $1,500-$1,800 per night and that would have weeded out the average Joe's...but the price they're going to ask is on par with Golden Oak.
I wonder how many will actually pay that price though ~ most people don't pay the rack rate for hotels do they? And this will be points based for people on DVC right?

GTodaro
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Posts: 8
Joined: Jul Thu 15, 2010 2:18 pm

Re: Ticket prices and profit seeking

Post by GTodaro » Feb Sat 28, 2015 9:18 am

Absolutely....
I have gone to WDW and my memories are if real flowers in the flower beds... Hand cut at least twice a week..
Live bands all over the park...
Live groove bands in the Coke Terrace...
They're cutting the wrong corners and really. .. starting to become like any other park...

Polynesian Princess
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Posts: 1061
Joined: Oct Sun 11, 2009 3:35 pm

Re: Ticket prices and profit seeking

Post by Polynesian Princess » Feb Sat 28, 2015 3:28 pm

Amy wrote:
theBIGyowski wrote:Disney decided to price the 2-BR bungalows out of the majority of Americans' price range...because they know the wealthiest of the wealthy will pay it. It's not that much more expensive to stay in an actual bungalow in Fiji...where the water below you is crystal clear and you have lots of beautiful fish swimming below as well.

They could have easily made it $1,500-$1,800 per night and that would have weeded out the average Joe's...but the price they're going to ask is on par with Golden Oak.
I wonder how many will actually pay that price though ~ most people don't pay the rack rate for hotels do they? And this will be points based for people on DVC right?
I assume these will be added to the ever growing list of rooms that aren't included in the discounts.
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Posts: 5531
Joined: Sep Sat 04, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Ticket prices and profit seeking

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Sat 28, 2015 5:48 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:I'm not following that development, are those on par with a high end suite (usually aside from space/amenities they also have a view or something)?
Well, I suppose that would depend what you consider to be high-end. But for point of reference, I priced out a place to stay that wasn't where I am currently. The resorts here on Maui were charging $600 a night, on average, for a 1-BR suite. That's actually IN Hawaii. Not sure what I could get for $2500 a night but I bet it's more than a 2BR bungalow.

In fact, maybe I'll see.
At the same time, there is more competition for said units on the Island. I would imagine accommodations like the ones used at the Polynesian would be limited.

I would imagine the pricing for now is due to the high demand as the prices are a function of that, so they may have a steady occupancy rate that the company is comfortable with. Years later it will probably drop, but I would imagine they would never want to allow DVC stuff in for discounts on new properties as it would be like leaving money on the table. Why get a portion when someone else is willing to pay full and the DVC member would still accept any other location that has the discount.

Thumper1
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Posts: 357
Joined: Apr Sat 21, 2012 7:18 am
Location: Yorktown,Virginia

Re: Ticket prices and profit seeking

Post by Thumper1 » Mar Sun 01, 2015 3:12 pm

I think the prices are a bit steep, but it won't stop me from going again! I'm so in love with WDW that I will pay their prices!! :mickey:

Marty Moose
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Posts: 75
Joined: Oct Thu 02, 2014 7:24 am
Location: North central Indiana

Re: Ticket prices and profit seeking

Post by Marty Moose » Mar Mon 02, 2015 11:45 am

Me, too Brerrabbit. I just wish I didn't have to sell a kid in order to take the rest!
"Park's closed. Moose out front should have told ya."

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Posts: 5531
Joined: Sep Sat 04, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Ticket prices and profit seeking

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Mon 02, 2015 10:36 pm

Which is why they do not have to resort to the "Buy a day get the year free" campaigns.

Thumper1
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Posts: 357
Joined: Apr Sat 21, 2012 7:18 am
Location: Yorktown,Virginia

Re: Ticket prices and profit seeking

Post by Thumper1 » Mar Tue 03, 2015 2:42 pm

Marty Moose wrote:Me, too Brerrabbit. I just wish I didn't have to sell a kid in order to take the rest!
You just gave me a good laugh for the day!! :lol:

Blackie Pueblo
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Posts: 640
Joined: Jun Mon 13, 2005 11:47 am
Location: Port Richey Fl
Contact:

Re: Ticket prices and profit seeking

Post by Blackie Pueblo » Apr Thu 09, 2015 11:28 am

I love Disney so much that I drive my wife crazy. But I am really feeling that the high ups are so into making money they are making the parks for those in the upper financial stutus. It's heartbreaking to know that there are some families that will never experience the magic. I truly believe it will be only for the rich and like he said in Jurassic Park, "We can charge a thousand dollars a day, two thousand dollars a day and people WILL pay it!" As long as they do the prices will continue to rise. It's only a matter of time before they build a wall around the area and the select few will be flown in to enjoy the parks.

It would be amazing since many of the other Amusement parks often follow Disney and raise their prices, if Disney set them up and then for six months to a year lowered prices back down to like fifty or sixty dollars. Do you know how much money they'd make???? Of course I don't think I'd want to visit the parks during that time but still....

Post Reply