EPCOT Imagination

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

sag746
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Posts: 60
Joined: Jun Mon 11, 2007 1:00 pm
Location: Miami Florida

EPCOT Imagination

Post by sag746 » Dec Wed 31, 2014 1:18 pm

I really wish they would bring back the original Figment and Dreamfinder. That ride was cool. The new version is so boring.
Hope you have a great day

bcgm3
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Posts: 85
Joined: Jul Thu 09, 2009 10:59 am
Location: Rockledge, FL, USA
Contact:

Re: EPCOT Imagination

Post by bcgm3 » Jan Mon 05, 2015 11:12 am

Amen, brother.

I have sooo many fond memories of the original attraction. It's like nostalgia overload.

I can vividly remember being no older than 4 or 5, getting an invisible UV-ink handstamp when leaving the park for a nap or something, then coming back and doing Journey into Imagination. There was black light everywhere in there and I felt like an integral part of it with my glowing hand stamp. The animatronics were so on-point, as articulate and engaging as anything at Magic Kingdom, maybe moreso. It had it all! There were lighthearted funny parts, somber parts, scary parts... Then when you got off the ride, it got even BETTER -- You got to run amok in that incredible glass double-pyramid, everything was hands-on, and so creative. The giant coloring book projected on the wall on second story, the musical lights room... The rainbow tunnel. I could go on and on about this one.

So few people I know got to experience the original, and only know the latest iteration. To them, it's that ride where you have to smell skunk.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18498
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: EPCOT Imagination

Post by Amy » Jan Mon 05, 2015 12:53 pm

bcgm3 wrote:Amen, brother.

I have sooo many fond memories of the original attraction. It's like nostalgia overload.

I can vividly remember being no older than 4 or 5, getting an invisible UV-ink handstamp when leaving the park for a nap or something, then coming back and doing Journey into Imagination. There was black light everywhere in there and I felt like an integral part of it with my glowing hand stamp. The animatronics were so on-point, as articulate and engaging as anything at Magic Kingdom, maybe moreso. It had it all! There were lighthearted funny parts, somber parts, scary parts... Then when you got off the ride, it got even BETTER -- You got to run amok in that incredible glass double-pyramid, everything was hands-on, and so creative. The giant coloring book projected on the wall on second story, the musical lights room... The rainbow tunnel. I could go on and on about this one.

So few people I know got to experience the original, and only know the latest iteration. To them, it's that ride where you have to smell skunk.
Great memories bcgm3! It is sad that most people associate the skunk smell with Imagination ~ I still remember that delightful floral smell it had ~ one of my favorite Disney smells. I swear for a few years you could still smell it in the attraction after they redid it, but not anymore :(

sag746
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Posts: 60
Joined: Jun Mon 11, 2007 1:00 pm
Location: Miami Florida

Re: EPCOT Imagination

Post by sag746 » Jan Mon 05, 2015 7:59 pm

years ago, when my boys were like 6 and 8, now 34 and 36, we would go on the "Figment" ride and after its end, would run into Dreamfinder holding a Figment puppet. He would talk to the kids and even chase them while laughing. His voice even sounded like the Dreamfinder's in the ride. Great memories.
Hope you have a great day

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Posts: 2744
Joined: Apr Mon 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: EPCOT Imagination

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Thu 08, 2015 12:34 pm

yep...the current version of Imagination is loud and stinks

DW won't ride it because of those two things. I would love if they brought back Dreamfinder, but I don't trust the current folks at WDI to do it justice and we'd probably all hate it.
Image

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Posts: 295
Joined: Oct Tue 09, 2012 6:08 pm
Location: Los Osos, California (a.k.a. 2,714 miles from the Polynesian)
Contact:

Re: EPCOT Imagination

Post by JenMuse » Jan Thu 08, 2015 1:23 pm

I still think the ride could be salvaged if they returned to the imagination theme of the original ride (collecting inspiration) and converted the vehicles into buzz light year style cars with a wand for capturing ideas (instead of shooting Zs) then you get a picture at the end with all of your inspiration images.

And yes bring back the imagination playground with all the hands on stuff. And the rainbow tunnel! So much fun!
  • 1980-93: Fort Wilderness
    1996: All-Stars Movie
    1999: rented a private home
    2008: Hilton Grand Vacation Club at International Drive (HGVC)
    2009: All-Stars Music & Pop Century
    2010: HGVC at I-Drive
    2011: Anaheim Hilton (DisneyLand)
    2012: HGVC at I-Drive & Caribbean Beach Resort
    2013: HGVC-Parc Soleil & Port Orleans Riverside AND Anaheim Hilton
    2015: Old Key West & Saratoga Springs

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18498
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: EPCOT Imagination

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 08, 2015 6:51 pm

JenMuse wrote:I still think the ride could be salvaged if they returned to the imagination theme of the original ride (collecting inspiration) and converted the vehicles into buzz light year style cars with a wand for capturing ideas (instead of shooting Zs) then you get a picture at the end with all of your inspiration images.

And yes bring back the imagination playground with all the hands on stuff. And the rainbow tunnel! So much fun!
An interactive Imagination ~ that would be pretty neat!

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Posts: 2744
Joined: Apr Mon 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: EPCOT Imagination

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Fri 09, 2015 10:06 am

so you're saying...use your imagination...on an imagination-themed ride

brilliant!
Image

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

aboden
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Posts: 218
Joined: Aug Tue 05, 2008 1:43 pm
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:

Re: EPCOT Imagination

Post by aboden » Jan Sat 10, 2015 5:41 am

I understand the need to update rides but I agree the new version has less to do with Imagination but with senses. I wish they would re-open the top area. That was a blast!
"Please stand clear of the doors/Por favor mantengan se alejado de las puertas"

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Posts: 250
Joined: Aug Fri 23, 2013 10:49 pm
Location: N of the 49th

Re: EPCOT Imagination

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Jan Sat 10, 2015 2:06 pm

bcgm3 wrote:
I can vividly remember being no older than 4 or 5, getting an invisible UV-ink handstamp when leaving the park for a nap or something, then coming back and doing Journey into Imagination. There was black light everywhere in there and I felt like an integral part of it with my glowing hand stamp.
Absolutely! I miss the hand stamps. Peter Pan was perfect for trying to figure out what the stamp was too.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18498
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: EPCOT Imagination

Post by Amy » Jan Sat 10, 2015 4:34 pm

ImagineerWannabe wrote:
bcgm3 wrote:
I can vividly remember being no older than 4 or 5, getting an invisible UV-ink handstamp when leaving the park for a nap or something, then coming back and doing Journey into Imagination. There was black light everywhere in there and I felt like an integral part of it with my glowing hand stamp.
Absolutely! I miss the hand stamps. Peter Pan was perfect for trying to figure out what the stamp was too.
I always like figuring out what the hand stamp was too ~ and not just when I was a kid ;) :lol:

aboden
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Posts: 218
Joined: Aug Tue 05, 2008 1:43 pm
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:

Re: EPCOT Imagination

Post by aboden » Jan Mon 12, 2015 3:46 am

Amy wrote:
ImagineerWannabe wrote:
bcgm3 wrote:
I can vividly remember being no older than 4 or 5, getting an invisible UV-ink handstamp when leaving the park for a nap or something, then coming back and doing Journey into Imagination. There was black light everywhere in there and I felt like an integral part of it with my glowing hand stamp.
Absolutely! I miss the hand stamps. Peter Pan was perfect for trying to figure out what the stamp was too.
I always like figuring out what the hand stamp was too ~ and not just when I was a kid ;) :lol:
As a kid I was always scared to wash my hands with that powdered soap in fear of washing it away, I wanted to keep it lol.
"Please stand clear of the doors/Por favor mantengan se alejado de las puertas"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18498
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: EPCOT Imagination

Post by Amy » Jan Mon 12, 2015 7:28 am

Ah, but the powdered soap left a residue around your nails that also fluoresced under the black lights. I don't know how effective the powdered soap was, but I'm sure I washed my hands at WDW better than anywhere else so I could make my hands glow. Plus I'm sure I avoided washing the back of my hand where the hand stamp was as best I could :lol:

bcgm3
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Posts: 85
Joined: Jul Thu 09, 2009 10:59 am
Location: Rockledge, FL, USA
Contact:

Re: EPCOT Imagination

Post by bcgm3 » Jan Mon 12, 2015 1:56 pm

You all get it! I don't know many people who remember this stuff. I can barely remember that soap, myself... Though I definitely tried to stave off washing that hand after leaving Disney as long as I could. What a trip.

sgrfunk
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Posts: 83
Joined: Apr Thu 26, 2007 3:08 pm

Re: EPCOT Imagination

Post by sgrfunk » Jan Sun 18, 2015 4:43 pm

Yes I agree I miss the old version with Figment and Dreamfinder. It was more about the imagination and dreaming up big ideas. The new version really has nothing to do with the imagination and more to do with the five senses.

Post Reply