Ellen's Energy Adventure - WRONG!

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Posts: 2833
Joined: Jan Fri 21, 2011 8:47 am
Location: Greenwood, IN

Ellen's Energy Adventure - WRONG!

Post by cy1229 » Oct Thu 02, 2014 10:12 am

OMG! I don't believe I haven't caught this before. Listening to the Requests Stream this morning, I hear the ride-through of EEA and that they're saying dinosaurs are the source of petroleum!

KILLING ME!

Petroleum is the result of marine plants and animals pre-dating the dinosaurs by several million years! Here's a link. http://www.fe.doe.gov/education/energyl ... ormed.html

Now I hate that attraction even MORE. Sorry, this one's really bugging me. Disney, and ESPECIALLY Bill Nye, should have gotten it right!

Gah. I'm such a nerd.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18491
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Ellen's Energy Adventure - WRONG!

Post by Amy » Oct Thu 02, 2014 10:58 am

Maybe this exerpt from the script will help you feel a bit better ~ EEA does mention plants, they just sort of fudged on the timeline a bit with the dinosaurs...
Ellen in Dream: Uh ...yeah, this is fun. So where's the energy?

Bill Nye: Oh, it's all around you. You see, these plants and animals are soaking up energy from the sun. When they die and get buried, time, pressure and heat will cook them into the fossil fuels we rely on today like, uh, coal, natural gas, and oil.

Ellen in Dream: Wait a minute. You're telling me that we're filling our gas tanks with, well, with dinosaur soup?

Bill Nye: Well, not exactly. But dinosaurs did live when fossil fuels were developing in the earth... eh. Dinosaurs are just cool! Let's check 'em out!

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Posts: 2833
Joined: Jan Fri 21, 2011 8:47 am
Location: Greenwood, IN

Re: Ellen's Energy Adventure - WRONG!

Post by cy1229 » Oct Thu 02, 2014 11:01 am

Amy wrote:Maybe this exerpt from the script will help you feel a bit better ~ EEA does mention plants, they just sort of fudged on the timeline a bit with the dinosaurs...
Ellen in Dream: Uh ...yeah, this is fun. So where's the energy?

Bill Nye: Oh, it's all around you. You see, these plants and animals are soaking up energy from the sun. When they die and get buried, time, pressure and heat will cook them into the fossil fuels we rely on today like, uh, coal, natural gas, and oil.

Ellen in Dream: Wait a minute. You're telling me that we're filling our gas tanks with, well, with dinosaur soup?

Bill Nye: Well, not exactly. But dinosaurs did live when fossil fuels were developing in the earth... eh. Dinosaurs are just cool! Let's check 'em out!
Nope, not much better. They need to change it to read "dinosaurs lived while fossil fuels were developing deep underground." Then it works.

But thanks for trying.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Posts: 2744
Joined: Apr Mon 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: Ellen's Energy Adventure - WRONG!

Post by theBIGyowski » Oct Thu 02, 2014 11:28 am

party pooper!
Image

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Posts: 2833
Joined: Jan Fri 21, 2011 8:47 am
Location: Greenwood, IN

Re: Ellen's Energy Adventure - WRONG!

Post by cy1229 » Oct Thu 02, 2014 12:41 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:party pooper!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry.

I'm like that. When I'm watching a movie that has BAD SCIENCE as its basic premise ("The Day After Tomorrow" and "I Am Legend" come to mind) it just ruins the movie for me. I can't help it.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Posts: 2744
Joined: Apr Mon 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: Ellen's Energy Adventure - WRONG!

Post by theBIGyowski » Oct Thu 02, 2014 1:02 pm

cy1229 wrote:
theBIGyowski wrote:party pooper!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry.

I'm like that. When I'm watching a movie that has BAD SCIENCE as its basic premise ("The Day After Tomorrow" and "I Am Legend" come to mind) it just ruins the movie for me. I can't help it.
Yeah...the only thing I liked about "The Day After Tomorrow" was the tornado scene where the reporter gets hit by the sign.

The special effects were cool...but the science was ridiculous. And that pretty much goes for 99.9% of all movies that use science as a basis for the plot.

The exception to the rule being Back to the Future...of course.
Image

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Posts: 2833
Joined: Jan Fri 21, 2011 8:47 am
Location: Greenwood, IN

Re: Ellen's Energy Adventure - WRONG!

Post by cy1229 » Oct Thu 02, 2014 1:04 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:
cy1229 wrote:
theBIGyowski wrote:party pooper!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry.

I'm like that. When I'm watching a movie that has BAD SCIENCE as its basic premise ("The Day After Tomorrow" and "I Am Legend" come to mind) it just ruins the movie for me. I can't help it.
Yeah...the only thing I liked about "The Day After Tomorrow" was the tornado scene where the reporter gets hit by the sign.

The special effects were cool...but the science was ridiculous. And that pretty much goes for 99.9% of all movies that use science as a basis for the plot.

The exception to the rule being Back to the Future...of course.
Of course. :lol:

And Star Wars.

And Star Trek.

Because they're cool.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Posts: 641
Joined: Nov Wed 28, 2007 10:29 pm
Location: Too far from Walt Disney World

Re: Ellen's Energy Adventure - WRONG!

Post by Sharonofwindham » Oct Thu 02, 2014 6:49 pm

cy1229 wrote:OMG! I don't believe I haven't caught this before. Listening to the Requests Stream this morning, I hear the ride-through of EEA and that they're saying dinosaurs are the source of petroleum!

KILLING ME!

Petroleum is the result of marine plants and animals pre-dating the dinosaurs by several million years! Here's a link. http://www.fe.doe.gov/education/energyl ... ormed.html

Now I hate that attraction even MORE. Sorry, this one's really bugging me. Disney, and ESPECIALLY Bill Nye, should have gotten it right!

Gah. I'm such a nerd.
I get it! It's just painful to think they could get something like this wrong. Disney seems to do so much research for their attractions. Always determined to be spot on. Always disconcerting when they aren't :shock: :?

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Posts: 2744
Joined: Apr Mon 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: Ellen's Energy Adventure - WRONG!

Post by theBIGyowski » Oct Fri 03, 2014 8:48 am

People don't go on that attraction for the science knowledge...












They go to see Alex Trebek with a mustache. 8-)
Image

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Posts: 2833
Joined: Jan Fri 21, 2011 8:47 am
Location: Greenwood, IN

Re: Ellen's Energy Adventure - WRONG!

Post by cy1229 » Oct Fri 03, 2014 10:54 am

theBIGyowski wrote:People don't go on that attraction for the science knowledge...

They go to see Alex Trebek with a mustache. 8-)
Or an air-conditioned nap. :lol:

If you go back to the original EPCOT Center as it was pitched... it was a place of innovation and learning (albeit sneakily but so what, learning is learning). It was designed to show how future innovations might look. And, it was done in a more realistic way than the stuff in Tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom. Thus, the accuracy is important in this context.

Of course, now it's kind of all thrown out the window with Mission: Space, but still..................

Ok I'm going to let it go now.

Maybe.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Posts: 250
Joined: Aug Fri 23, 2013 10:49 pm
Location: N of the 49th

Re: Ellen's Energy Adventure - WRONG!

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Oct Fri 10, 2014 6:02 pm

The science in Mission Space is the centrifuge :) Granted I've only ridden it once (and the non-spinny side at that), so I don't remember the story line or the bad science. I just like that it uses what real astronauts train with.

lonepalm
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Posts: 233
Joined: Jul Thu 09, 2009 10:20 pm

Re: Ellen's Energy Adventure - WRONG!

Post by lonepalm » Nov Mon 03, 2014 7:59 am

I guess the only "defense" I can come up with is that at the time of the script being written, it was commonly thought that it was dinosaurs? Perhaps it wasn't figured out until after...? Or, it was simply just not consulting with experts :)
Image

Proud bandwidth donor to Subsonic Radio!

Check out disneyparksinfo.com and wdwthemeparks.com!

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Posts: 2744
Joined: Apr Mon 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: Ellen's Energy Adventure - WRONG!

Post by theBIGyowski » Nov Mon 03, 2014 11:31 am

the expert was probably Bill Nye...who we know today is not really all that smart when it comes to earth science
Image

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Posts: 2833
Joined: Jan Fri 21, 2011 8:47 am
Location: Greenwood, IN

Re: Ellen's Energy Adventure - WRONG!

Post by cy1229 » Nov Mon 03, 2014 1:18 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:the expert was probably Bill Nye...who we know today is not really all that smart when it comes to earth science
Bill Nye isn't an expert on anything except explaining science to kids and teenagers. I know he has a degree, but I don't remember in what he specialized. Regardless, no one could know everything about all things science.

It was known long before EEA was Imaigineered how oil, gas, and coal were formed. I think it was just someone being a little lazy in checking the facts.

To be honest, it would have been more interesting to have a "ride-through" of an "ocean" of the interesting plants and animals from that period. Everyone has seen dinosaur exhibits, but how many have seen renderings of the plants and animals that stretch back hundreds of millions of years before THEM?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Posts: 2744
Joined: Apr Mon 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: Ellen's Energy Adventure - WRONG!

Post by theBIGyowski » Nov Mon 03, 2014 2:36 pm

cy1229 wrote:
theBIGyowski wrote:the expert was probably Bill Nye...who we know today is not really all that smart when it comes to earth science
Bill Nye isn't an expert on anything except explaining science to kids and teenagers. I know he has a degree, but I don't remember in what he specialized. Regardless, no one could know everything about all things science.

It was known long before EEA was Imaigineered how oil, gas, and coal were formed. I think it was just someone being a little lazy in checking the facts.

To be honest, it would have been more interesting to have a "ride-through" of an "ocean" of the interesting plants and animals from that period. Everyone has seen dinosaur exhibits, but how many have seen renderings of the plants and animals that stretch back hundreds of millions of years before THEM?
I like where you're going with this.

OK...think about this for a second...

WDI decides to revamp the entire Universe of Energy attraction...razing it to the ground along with the Wonders of Life Pavilion. They then create a new pavilion dedicated to energy and the ways engineers and scientists are coming up with energy for the future. It will be big enough for a headliner attraction as well as maybe 1 or 2 other A or B ticket attractions as well. Heck...you can even bring Ellen back in some capacity in the pavilion since she is still very much relevant in pop culture. You'd want to be as objective as possible of course...making sure you leave politics out of everything. The physical footprint of the new pavilion would be about the same size as The Land including Soarin'.

You don't even have to keep it themed with energy...but with energy being very important this century...I think it would be a great way to both educate and inspire the next generation like EPCOT was originally intended to do.
Image

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Post Reply