Fastpass+

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Posts: 5531
Joined: Sep Sat 04, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Fastpass+

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Mon 10, 2014 6:32 pm

It was, sort of an improvement on the original, a good improvement on the elevator drop system concept. The story telling mechanics were tighter, and the drop is more of a surprise I suppose, but they did not add the random drop profiles to the DCA version so if you ride it today, tomorrow, or 3 years from now it will be the same as the day it opened. That being said, it also hasn't really lost any effects since opening, unlike many attractions.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18485
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Fastpass+

Post by Amy » Feb Mon 10, 2014 9:02 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:It was, sort of an improvement on the original, a good improvement on the elevator drop system concept. The story telling mechanics were tighter, and the drop is more of a surprise I suppose, but they did not add the random drop profiles to the DCA version so if you ride it today, tomorrow, or 3 years from now it will be the same as the day it opened. That being said, it also hasn't really lost any effects since opening, unlike many attractions.
I didn't realize the DCA version drops were not randomized ~ I kind of thought all of the towers were upgraded to include that option. I only was able to ride once this past trip while my brother went a few times so I of course didn't have a chance to notice...

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Posts: 5531
Joined: Sep Sat 04, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Fastpass+

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Mon 10, 2014 9:36 pm

Nope, only the DHS one was modified (possibly because they aren't all the same system). They sort of can't randomize the drops either since there is only one shaft with one car loading while the other is running as well as a firmer script may have also limited that option.

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Posts: 839
Joined: Oct Wed 26, 2011 10:00 am
Location: Brava Centauri

Re: Fastpass+

Post by dstrawn9889 » Feb Mon 17, 2014 4:59 pm

yup, the line really does move faster here then the clips i have seen at DCA... and that first time rider jumping when the car rolls forward out of the lift elevator. my DD and DS expressions were PRICELESS! and when i told them that there are no tracks between the shafts... and that the 'car' charged by induction, so there was no physical connection to the tower except the rubber of the wheels on the concrete...
Image

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18485
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Fastpass+

Post by Amy » Feb Mon 17, 2014 6:30 pm

dstrawn9889 wrote:yup, the line really does move faster here then the clips i have seen at DCA... and that first time rider jumping when the car rolls forward out of the lift elevator. my DD and DS expressions were PRICELESS! and when i told them that there are no tracks between the shafts... and that the 'car' charged by induction, so there was no physical connection to the tower except the rubber of the wheels on the concrete...
:lol: So mean! But so funny! :lol:

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Posts: 839
Joined: Oct Wed 26, 2011 10:00 am
Location: Brava Centauri

Re: Fastpass+

Post by dstrawn9889 » Feb Mon 17, 2014 10:23 pm

mean? it's the truth. the elevator and cars are two separate machines, the car is an electric 'tug' if you will that charges in the lift elevator. it is wire-guided, so no tracks, and it gets all of its music audio via wireless signal ques. what in that information is mean? now if i were to tell them that there are motors that PULL you down the drop shaft, and if the lift motors there don't stop you would hit the ground faster than terminal velocity, and would be a mess to clean up... that would be mean.
Image

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18485
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Fastpass+

Post by Amy » Feb Tue 18, 2014 8:05 am

dstrawn9889 wrote:mean? it's the truth. the elevator and cars are two separate machines, the car is an electric 'tug' if you will that charges in the lift elevator. it is wire-guided, so no tracks, and it gets all of its music audio via wireless signal ques. what in that information is mean? now if i were to tell them that there are motors that PULL you down the drop shaft, and if the lift motors there don't stop you would hit the ground faster than terminal velocity, and would be a mess to clean up... that would be mean.
:lol: Ok, so not mean...let's call it extra information they probably didn't need to know right in the moment then ;)

fancyfeet
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Posts: 137
Joined: Aug Tue 24, 2010 12:09 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Fastpass+

Post by fancyfeet » Feb Sat 22, 2014 2:00 pm

That's too bad they are doing away with the fastpass kiosks. They should remain an option for those who don't want to plan all their options ahead of time. I was going to plan a couple fast pass +'s but after hearing this, will try to plan more. :(

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Posts: 2744
Joined: Apr Mon 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: Fastpass+

Post by theBIGyowski » Feb Fri 28, 2014 12:24 pm

fancyfeet wrote:That's too bad they are doing away with the fastpass kiosks. They should remain an option for those who don't want to plan all their options ahead of time. I was going to plan a couple fast pass +'s but after hearing this, will try to plan more. :(
you can still get your FPs when you get the parks...you just do it at specific locations now instead of the attractions themselves

you'll just be doing the same thing all of the off-site guests are doing...who don't have a clue of how to do it...thus creating incredible bottlenecks
Image

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Posts: 5531
Joined: Sep Sat 04, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Fastpass+

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Fri 28, 2014 2:26 pm

Don't you also have that option if you have the app?

The only problem with it is that the supply has been diminished greatly by the people booking in advance. While it may not have been so bad in betas, since the number of users was lower, it is going to be really bad once the system is fully rolled out and the peak time comes.

I also wouldn't be surprised if off-site and guests who book closer to their trip date end up taking issue with not having as many choices.

kelpseaweedkelp
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Posts: 229
Joined: Nov Thu 21, 2013 2:10 pm
Location: Far Rockaway, NY

Re: Fastpass+

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Mar Thu 13, 2014 12:13 pm

Hey all! Recently went to WDW with my extended family of 12. I was really skeptical (and kind of p*** about the 1 big ride 2 small a day in one park!) of the MagicBands and 3 FP+ thing, but it worked out very well.
I planned out the trip and dining reservations about a month beforehand, but changed FP times the day before each park sometimes - no problem. If you know your way around, it was actually great - for example, did Kilimanjaro Safari and then walked right over the lunch reservation at Tusker House. At EPCOT, walked to Test Track first before the lines formed (bc FPsed Soarin') and got on everything.
Most of my family had never been to DWorld (I used to be a FL resident so was around for the development of the original FP and remember how magical that was!) so they were just blown away with how we just walked on ride after ride. I think whatever algorithms they are using for FP+ cuts down lines too in general, especially towards the end of the days and during Magic Hours - things were 15-20 minute waits everywhere and it was CROWDED.
All in all, I didn't mind it and thought it was an improvement over gathering all your passes to get the paper tickets and having to be somewhere at a random time. I think if you don't know your way around its probably tricky bc you spend a lot of time walking, but if you do know and know good times to hit some rides you couldn't FP+, it makes things quite relaxing.
Also the MyDisney phone app that has live updates of waiting times is AWESOME - so freaking useful to not have to, for example, walk all the way to that little kiosk at MGM to see the wait times.
Also! One of my nephews kept freaking out right before rides so would miss the FP+ window - the cast members were perfect about letting him and one of us on again after the window, no problem.
Another nephew lost his bracelet, and that also was a quick and easy fix - he just got a temp card and they sent a new band to the hotel (we stayed on property).
All in all, kinks to work out but thumbs up.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18485
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Fastpass+

Post by Amy » Mar Thu 13, 2014 1:01 pm

kelpseaweedkelp wrote:Hey all! Recently went to WDW with my extended family of 12. I was really skeptical (and kind of p*** about the 1 big ride 2 small a day in one park!) of the MagicBands and 3 FP+ thing, but it worked out very well.
I planned out the trip and dining reservations about a month beforehand, but changed FP times the day before each park sometimes - no problem. If you know your way around, it was actually great - for example, did Kilimanjaro Safari and then walked right over the lunch reservation at Tusker House. At EPCOT, walked to Test Track first before the lines formed (bc FPsed Soarin') and got on everything.
Most of my family had never been to DWorld (I used to be a FL resident so was around for the development of the original FP and remember how magical that was!) so they were just blown away with how we just walked on ride after ride. I think whatever algorithms they are using for FP+ cuts down lines too in general, especially towards the end of the days and during Magic Hours - things were 15-20 minute waits everywhere and it was CROWDED.
All in all, I didn't mind it and thought it was an improvement over gathering all your passes to get the paper tickets and having to be somewhere at a random time. I think if you don't know your way around its probably tricky bc you spend a lot of time walking, but if you do know and know good times to hit some rides you couldn't FP+, it makes things quite relaxing.
Also the MyDisney phone app that has live updates of waiting times is AWESOME - so freaking useful to not have to, for example, walk all the way to that little kiosk at MGM to see the wait times.
Also! One of my nephews kept freaking out right before rides so would miss the FP+ window - the cast members were perfect about letting him and one of us on again after the window, no problem.
Another nephew lost his bracelet, and that also was a quick and easy fix - he just got a temp card and they sent a new band to the hotel (we stayed on property).
All in all, kinks to work out but thumbs up.
Sounds like they worked out really well for y'all. I can only imagine trying to keep 12 people moving through the parks smoothly :shock:

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Posts: 2744
Joined: Apr Mon 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: Fastpass+

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Thu 13, 2014 3:14 pm

kelpseaweedkelp wrote:Hey all! Recently went to WDW with my extended family of 12. I was really skeptical (and kind of p*** about the 1 big ride 2 small a day in one park!) of the MagicBands and 3 FP+ thing, but it worked out very well.
I planned out the trip and dining reservations about a month beforehand, but changed FP times the day before each park sometimes - no problem. If you know your way around, it was actually great - for example, did Kilimanjaro Safari and then walked right over the lunch reservation at Tusker House. At EPCOT, walked to Test Track first before the lines formed (bc FPsed Soarin') and got on everything.
Most of my family had never been to DWorld (I used to be a FL resident so was around for the development of the original FP and remember how magical that was!) so they were just blown away with how we just walked on ride after ride. I think whatever algorithms they are using for FP+ cuts down lines too in general, especially towards the end of the days and during Magic Hours - things were 15-20 minute waits everywhere and it was CROWDED.
All in all, I didn't mind it and thought it was an improvement over gathering all your passes to get the paper tickets and having to be somewhere at a random time. I think if you don't know your way around its probably tricky bc you spend a lot of time walking, but if you do know and know good times to hit some rides you couldn't FP+, it makes things quite relaxing.
Also the MyDisney phone app that has live updates of waiting times is AWESOME - so freaking useful to not have to, for example, walk all the way to that little kiosk at MGM to see the wait times.
Also! One of my nephews kept freaking out right before rides so would miss the FP+ window - the cast members were perfect about letting him and one of us on again after the window, no problem.
Another nephew lost his bracelet, and that also was a quick and easy fix - he just got a temp card and they sent a new band to the hotel (we stayed on property).
All in all, kinks to work out but thumbs up.
DW and I didn't go to DHS on our last trip...but in the other parks we did notice that the FP waits weren't too bad in the evening...which is when some of the E-ticket attractions used to get really, really backed up.

Really and truly...as long as you don't have to use the FP+ Kiosks you are ok. It's the people who have to use the kiosks that will hate the new system.
Image

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Posts: 250
Joined: Aug Fri 23, 2013 10:49 pm
Location: N of the 49th

Re: Fastpass+

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Mar Thu 13, 2014 7:01 pm

I completely agree about the wait time list on the app. It's super handy. I was checking it all the time! Can't say I like the tiered system, or maybe just didn't know the good times for what I couldn't fastpass, but I would definitely recommend the app.

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Posts: 1283
Joined: Apr Tue 29, 2008 3:13 pm

Re: Fastpass+

Post by Sleepy90 » Mar Fri 14, 2014 2:27 pm

We had go use the booths because the app is not available to us as yet. No real problems in using the booths as long as you know what you want before you arrive.
I still do not like the system though I hate to be structured.

As for the fastpass window times we twice had people turned away in front of us for Big thunder first one was too early and the second had missed the window by around 15mins. Sorry folks you can not come on.

Joe lost his band in bugs life I picked up band but when we got back to the hotel found out it was not his. What is the odds two people lose their bands on the same ride. Hotel lobby deactivated his band and gave him another no problem everything sorted in around 5mins. :D

Post Reply