I like the new safari at AK story line or lack of one.

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
jgarmer
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Posts: 32
Joined: Mar Mon 02, 2009 8:05 am

I like the new safari at AK story line or lack of one.

Post by jgarmer » Oct Fri 25, 2013 8:49 pm

The poacher story was never a favorite of mine glad its gone. Good bye Big Red and Little Red not missed.

joe

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Posts: 5531
Joined: Sep Sat 04, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: I like the new safari at AK story line or lack of one.

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Fri 25, 2013 9:12 pm

This is kind of like the beheading video argument on facebook, on one hand it is an unpleasant reality to face at an amusement park, on the other it is a real world problem that needs to be addressed.

jgarmer
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Posts: 32
Joined: Mar Mon 02, 2009 8:05 am

Re: I like the new safari at AK story line or lack of one.

Post by jgarmer » Oct Fri 25, 2013 9:51 pm

It just can across as hokey and preachy. They do those great Earth movies and then they pass that off as entertainment. A leftover elephant from the jungle cruise looked out of place and no more shaky bridge either like they were leftover parts from backlot tour. We are here to see animals people. Can't wait to see CameronLand when its done. Sorry they never did the DragonLand.

joe

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Posts: 5531
Joined: Sep Sat 04, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: I like the new safari at AK story line or lack of one.

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Fri 25, 2013 10:53 pm

It is a very first world, if not just American, thing to be against having a message that makes the viewer feel bad. This is also why Epcot did not work as an educational theme park. The guests don't want their fun contaminated by other influences. Though, I have a feeling the reason that they ditched the elephant scene, and possibly the bridge, was to maximize ridership and possibly cut down on staff.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18485
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: I like the new safari at AK story line or lack of one.

Post by Amy » Oct Sat 26, 2013 6:57 am

Wizzard419 wrote:It is a very first world, if not just American, thing to be against having a message that makes the viewer feel bad. This is also why Epcot did not work as an educational theme park. The guests don't want their fun contaminated by other influences. Though, I have a feeling the reason that they ditched the elephant scene, and possibly the bridge, was to maximize ridership and possibly cut down on staff.
I had read somewhere that the bridge was changed because it was too expensive to keep working safely and properly.

DaRkNeSs
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Posts: 247
Joined: Feb Fri 20, 2009 5:01 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: I like the new safari at AK story line or lack of one.

Post by DaRkNeSs » Jan Sat 25, 2014 11:47 am

I think it is very trivial that people find poaching to be offensive while attending a wildlife based theme park that goes to Africa where poaching is a real problem, so Disney took steps to educate and maybe teach us to value life and people find that depressing wow lets not do anything to cross into our little bubbles and show us the truth shame! :donald:

I miss listening to the radio while on the ride, I do miss red and little red! :donald:
Look for the Bear necessities!!! Trust in me, just in me Shut your eyes and trust in me You can sleep safe and sound Knowing I am around!!
Image
Image

jderoche5
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Posts: 194
Joined: Feb Fri 25, 2011 9:56 am
Location: Rhode Island

Re: I like the new safari at AK story line or lack of one.

Post by jderoche5 » Jan Sun 26, 2014 12:09 am

I loved listening to the radio while on our safari! Now it's stuck in my head!
Jessica
Always remember that it was started by a mouse…...

http://instagram.com/jderoche5

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Posts: 2004
Joined: Sep Tue 18, 2007 11:47 pm
Location: Coral Springs, Fl

Re: I like the new safari at AK story line or lack of one.

Post by yodiwan1 » Jan Tue 28, 2014 7:10 pm

ha doo doo doo, ha doo doo doo!!! radio was awesome!!! It did tell an important message, the problem is the kids not understanding and being scared.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"


Image
Image
Image
Image

lonepalm
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Posts: 233
Joined: Jul Thu 09, 2009 10:20 pm

Re: I like the new safari at AK story line or lack of one.

Post by lonepalm » Feb Mon 03, 2014 12:41 pm

I have not yet experienced the safari without the storyline. I never minded it to begin with, and if it is really just a ride through without a storyline, I don't suspect I will hate it or care one way or the other. I would have been fine to leave it the way it was, or I suspect I am fine with it being a simple safari ride through and then just going back to camp...I guess there doesn't have to be an element of story or thrill behind every ride, right?
Image

Proud bandwidth donor to Subsonic Radio!

Check out disneyparksinfo.com and wdwthemeparks.com!

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Posts: 2833
Joined: Jan Fri 21, 2011 8:47 am
Location: Greenwood, IN

Re: I like the new safari at AK story line or lack of one.

Post by cy1229 » Feb Mon 03, 2014 3:53 pm

lonepalm wrote:I have not yet experienced the safari without the storyline. I never minded it to begin with, and if it is really just a ride through without a storyline, I don't suspect I will hate it or care one way or the other. I would have been fine to leave it the way it was, or I suspect I am fine with it being a simple safari ride through and then just going back to camp...I guess there doesn't have to be an element of story or thrill behind every ride, right?
I think I disagree with your last sentence. One of the things that sets Disney parks apart from all the others is that there IS a story behind all of the attractions, and those stories work together within a "land" to tell a bigger story. The plot lines aren't particularly thick or complex, but they do all give you a setting and some characters. It's evident in the queue areas as well as the decor. If you go to a "regular" amusement park, there's a little bit of storytelling but not much... and the rides are all mishmashed together with little or no theming from one to the next.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

lonepalm
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Posts: 233
Joined: Jul Thu 09, 2009 10:20 pm

Re: I like the new safari at AK story line or lack of one.

Post by lonepalm » Feb Tue 04, 2014 12:41 pm

cy1229 wrote:
lonepalm wrote:I have not yet experienced the safari without the storyline. I never minded it to begin with, and if it is really just a ride through without a storyline, I don't suspect I will hate it or care one way or the other. I would have been fine to leave it the way it was, or I suspect I am fine with it being a simple safari ride through and then just going back to camp...I guess there doesn't have to be an element of story or thrill behind every ride, right?
I think I disagree with your last sentence. One of the things that sets Disney parks apart from all the others is that there IS a story behind all of the attractions, and those stories work together within a "land" to tell a bigger story. The plot lines aren't particularly thick or complex, but they do all give you a setting and some characters. It's evident in the queue areas as well as the decor. If you go to a "regular" amusement park, there's a little bit of storytelling but not much... and the rides are all mishmashed together with little or no theming from one to the next.
I should be careful...I completely agree with you in terms of rides at Disney being a story. What I meant is that the storyline with the poachers and stuff on the safari itself doesn't seem like it would make a difference to me in the quality of the ride. Not having experienced it, I can't say for sure, but I can feel pretty confident in saying that next time I ride it, I won't be saying to myself that it is way below Disney standards because there wasn't the poacher story...or any story built into the ride experience.

On the other hand, if they ripped down the queue and replaced it with the expando-rails that you see at airports, removed the safari trucks and replaced them with school buses, and put the animals on just a big wide open land area with no trees, baobab treees, elephant tusk carvings in the clay, etc, then yes, I would certainly say that it is not Disney standards. So when I say that there doesn't have to be a story behind every attraction, I meant specifically the poacher storyline...not the queue, decor, theme, etc. The fact that we are not diverted from our two week safari (or whatever it is) anymore because of poachers just doesn't seem like it changes the experience at all for me, in fact, dare I say, it may enhance it, especially since they added more animals (Zebras I believe?) in place of the little red scene if I'm not mistaken.
Image

Proud bandwidth donor to Subsonic Radio!

Check out disneyparksinfo.com and wdwthemeparks.com!

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Posts: 2833
Joined: Jan Fri 21, 2011 8:47 am
Location: Greenwood, IN

Re: I like the new safari at AK story line or lack of one.

Post by cy1229 » Feb Tue 04, 2014 1:26 pm

lonepalm wrote:
cy1229 wrote:
lonepalm wrote:I have not yet experienced the safari without the storyline. I never minded it to begin with, and if it is really just a ride through without a storyline, I don't suspect I will hate it or care one way or the other. I would have been fine to leave it the way it was, or I suspect I am fine with it being a simple safari ride through and then just going back to camp...I guess there doesn't have to be an element of story or thrill behind every ride, right?
I think I disagree with your last sentence. One of the things that sets Disney parks apart from all the others is that there IS a story behind all of the attractions, and those stories work together within a "land" to tell a bigger story. The plot lines aren't particularly thick or complex, but they do all give you a setting and some characters. It's evident in the queue areas as well as the decor. If you go to a "regular" amusement park, there's a little bit of storytelling but not much... and the rides are all mishmashed together with little or no theming from one to the next.
I should be careful...I completely agree with you in terms of rides at Disney being a story. What I meant is that the storyline with the poachers and stuff on the safari itself doesn't seem like it would make a difference to me in the quality of the ride. Not having experienced it, I can't say for sure, but I can feel pretty confident in saying that next time I ride it, I won't be saying to myself that it is way below Disney standards because there wasn't the poacher story...or any story built into the ride experience.

On the other hand, if they ripped down the queue and replaced it with the expando-rails that you see at airports, removed the safari trucks and replaced them with school buses, and put the animals on just a big wide open land area with no trees, baobab treees, elephant tusk carvings in the clay, etc, then yes, I would certainly say that it is not Disney standards. So when I say that there doesn't have to be a story behind every attraction, I meant specifically the poacher storyline...not the queue, decor, theme, etc. The fact that we are not diverted from our two week safari (or whatever it is) anymore because of poachers just doesn't seem like it changes the experience at all for me, in fact, dare I say, it may enhance it, especially since they added more animals (Zebras I believe?) in place of the little red scene if I'm not mistaken.
Ah. Yes. You are correct. Not having the poachers storyline won't really detract from the sense of being on a safari. :)

And, you really must ride it at least once. But, if you are prone to motion sickness, don't sit in the back row. :)
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Posts: 5531
Joined: Sep Sat 04, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: I like the new safari at AK story line or lack of one.

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Tue 04, 2014 3:17 pm

If I recall, since the attractions do have an environmental message behind the attractions, aren't the poachers mentioned in the queue? It is a real threat on preserves in Africa, and it does take it a step further than your generic wild animal park/zoo tour.

foldmama
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Posts: 347
Joined: Nov Thu 03, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Yorktown Heights, NY

Re: I like the new safari at AK story line or lack of one.

Post by foldmama » Feb Wed 26, 2014 2:56 pm

I have a fond memory of the poachers. The first time I rode when with my nephew was only four and he totally believed it was true. He kept telling everyone on our car that the police were coming to take the bad people away. He had a whole conversation with the driver and a few other guests about bad people hurting animals and they need to go to jail. After that experience it was no longer silly to me. I saw how it so reached out and taught my nephew. I think about it today and just smile.

Post Reply