Disney Expanding Cancellation Fees

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Posts: 5531
Joined: Sep Sat 04, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Disney Expanding Cancellation Fees

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Fri 01, 2013 4:10 pm

That is very true, since they operate like many establishments and do not create actual table reservations but rather just priority seating, a no-show only means someone waiting will be seated a little faster.

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Posts: 201
Joined: Jul Sun 12, 2009 7:56 pm

Re: Disney Expanding Cancellation Fees

Post by GeoffS » Nov Fri 01, 2013 5:51 pm

Sure. They call "Dufrain, party of three. Dufrain, party of three." When they don't show, they just move on to the next name, "Smith, party of two. Smith, party of two." Yeah, what happened to the Dufrains? No one seems to care about them. Maybe they had an accident somewhere, or they're frantically searching for their lost child. It should be, "Smith, SEARCH PARTY of two." You can eat when you find the Dufrains.

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Posts: 484
Joined: Jun Mon 10, 2013 11:40 pm
Location: 817

Re: Disney Expanding Cancellation Fees

Post by Cardinals314 » Nov Fri 15, 2013 4:43 pm

Yesterday Disney announced that the new cancellation policy for all table service restaurants will now start on the 19th.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Posts: 802
Joined: Jul Sun 31, 2011 7:40 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Disney Expanding Cancellation Fees

Post by Goofyfan » Nov Fri 15, 2013 5:40 pm

GeoffS wrote:Sure. They call "Dufrain, party of three. Dufrain, party of three." When they don't show, they just move on to the next name, "Smith, party of two. Smith, party of two." Yeah, what happened to the Dufrains? No one seems to care about them. Maybe they had an accident somewhere, or they're frantically searching for their lost child. It should be, "Smith, SEARCH PARTY of two." You can eat when you find the Dufrains.

Maybe the Smith's were the reason for the Dufrain's to be missing... Sounds suspicious...... :shock: :goofy:
Image

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18489
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Disney Expanding Cancellation Fees

Post by Amy » Nov Fri 15, 2013 8:52 pm

Goofyfan wrote:
GeoffS wrote:Sure. They call "Dufrain, party of three. Dufrain, party of three." When they don't show, they just move on to the next name, "Smith, party of two. Smith, party of two." Yeah, what happened to the Dufrains? No one seems to care about them. Maybe they had an accident somewhere, or they're frantically searching for their lost child. It should be, "Smith, SEARCH PARTY of two." You can eat when you find the Dufrains.
Maybe the Smith's were the reason for the Dufrain's to be missing... Sounds suspicious...... :shock: :goofy:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Posts: 641
Joined: Nov Wed 28, 2007 10:29 pm
Location: Too far from Walt Disney World

Re: Disney Expanding Cancellation Fees

Post by Sharonofwindham » Nov Fri 15, 2013 11:52 pm

I think it makes perfect sense. I can just imagine the amount of cancellations they have each day. They go unfilled because people assume that if they didn't make their reservations months in advance they don't have a chance of getting one at such short notice.

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Posts: 802
Joined: Jul Sun 31, 2011 7:40 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Disney Expanding Cancellation Fees

Post by Goofyfan » Nov Sat 16, 2013 8:40 am

Sharonofwindham wrote:I think it makes perfect sense. I can just imagine the amount of cancellations they have each day. They go unfilled because people assume that if they didn't make their reservations months in advance they don't have a chance of getting one at such short notice.


A lot can happen in 6 months....and some people (like me for instance), have the onset of what I call Old timers syndrome. I sometimes can't remember what I had for dinner last evening. :oops: :goofy:
Image

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18489
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Disney Expanding Cancellation Fees

Post by Amy » Nov Sat 16, 2013 11:28 am

Goofyfan wrote:
Sharonofwindham wrote:I think it makes perfect sense. I can just imagine the amount of cancellations they have each day. They go unfilled because people assume that if they didn't make their reservations months in advance they don't have a chance of getting one at such short notice.
A lot can happen in 6 months....and some people (like me for instance), have the onset of what I call Old timers syndrome. I sometimes can't remember what I had for dinner last evening. :oops: :goofy:
Yeah, but you have a record of your ressies, and there is a difference between circumstances changing in 6 months and people who double and triple book ressies because they aren't sure what their plans might be on that day. I think the cancellation policy is quite reasonable and might actually free up some walk-up reservations again :D

rphillips14
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Posts: 385
Joined: Nov Fri 13, 2009 7:05 am
Location: Kentucky

Re: Disney Expanding Cancellation Fees

Post by rphillips14 » Nov Sun 17, 2013 7:54 am

I too see the reasoning and am surprised the folks at Disney didn't seize on this sooner. However, I wish there was an "oldtimers" club that allowed those of us who have made multiple trips to Disney and not wasted or abused our reservations to not have to do this-again, we get punished fr what others have done.
Image

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18489
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Disney Expanding Cancellation Fees

Post by Amy » Nov Sun 17, 2013 9:53 am

rphillips14 wrote:I too see the reasoning and am surprised the folks at Disney didn't seize on this sooner. However, I wish there was an "oldtimers" club that allowed those of us who have made multiple trips to Disney and not wasted or abused our reservations to not have to do this-again, we get punished fr what others have done.
But how many times have you missed a reservation? I'm guessing probably never. If you make a reservation and then change your mind, you have the 24 hours to cancel. I think that is pretty reasonable, and certainly wouldn't be a problem for seasoned travelers. If you end up having some sort of emergency I would hope the resort would be good about making accommodations as well.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Posts: 5531
Joined: Sep Sat 04, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Disney Expanding Cancellation Fees

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Sun 17, 2013 11:57 am

Since some places require 6 months advance booking, I wonder how many people forget that they even made plans once they get there?

rphillips14
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Posts: 385
Joined: Nov Fri 13, 2009 7:05 am
Location: Kentucky

Re: Disney Expanding Cancellation Fees

Post by rphillips14 » Nov Sun 17, 2013 1:22 pm

Amy wrote: But how many times have you missed a reservation? I'm guessing probably never. If you make a reservation and then change your mind, you have the 24 hours to cancel. I think that is pretty reasonable, and certainly wouldn't be a problem for seasoned travelers. If you end up having some sort of emergency I would hope the resort would be good about making accommodations as well.
Excellent Point but we have missed a few based on exhaustion and just going back and falling asleep in the room-but not many.
Image

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18489
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Disney Expanding Cancellation Fees

Post by Amy » Nov Sun 17, 2013 3:57 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Since some places require 6 months advance booking, I wonder how many people forget that they even made plans once they get there?
But I think that you get some sort of a confirmation number that I would assume people would print out if they are that prepared. And maybe it is included in your check-in packet at the hotel? I don't remember what we did when we had ressies at Via Napoli...
rphillips14 wrote:
Amy wrote: But how many times have you missed a reservation? I'm guessing probably never. If you make a reservation and then change your mind, you have the 24 hours to cancel. I think that is pretty reasonable, and certainly wouldn't be a problem for seasoned travelers. If you end up having some sort of emergency I would hope the resort would be good about making accommodations as well.
Excellent Point but we have missed a few based on exhaustion and just going back and falling asleep in the room-but not many.
Ah, well, that would be another matter. I suppose you would have to plan ahead a bit in that sort of situation ~ extra alarms, a nap in the afternoon...
I wonder if they allow you to move the ressie to another day and/or time without a fee if there is an opening?

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Posts: 5531
Joined: Sep Sat 04, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Disney Expanding Cancellation Fees

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Sun 17, 2013 4:33 pm

If they made it over the phone, they probably wrote it on the back of something and forgot about it.

Though, with the confirmation numbers, are they used by anything or would they just go by your name? I don't know if they would put anything like that in your packet when you arrived with the possible exception of something that required a pass to get in (like going to a place prior to the park opening).

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Posts: 839
Joined: Oct Wed 26, 2011 10:00 am
Location: Brava Centauri

Re: Disney Expanding Cancellation Fees

Post by dstrawn9889 » Nov Sun 17, 2013 11:23 pm

they are attached to your itenerary, just like your magicbands and cc are attached to your confirmation number... i had access to all my childrens ressies from the itinerary at disneyworld.disney.go.com website(logged in as my parents, <told her to change her passwords to something harder to crack>). the conf for the reservation was there with tix info and resort conf.
Image

Post Reply