Long Lost Disney Friends Returning

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Posts: 5531
Joined: Sep Sat 04, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Long Lost Disney Friends Returning

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Wed 13, 2016 8:15 pm

Very true, since WDW is designed for non-repeats (which is also why you won't see things like HMH at WDW since it would require HM to go offline for a third of the year). They don't need to cater to them as first/only time visitors are giving them all the bodies they need. Though, considering ever rising costs, the difficulties in keeping a park timely, and making engaging attractions... this is why (domestically) their days are numbered.

Cleanliness, for example, is probably not a function of there being a lack of janitors but rather the sheer volume of people. The best solution, if they wanted to provide the best experience, would be to make admission so high that it would keep most people out. Obviously, it would price out most of the people here, but all the issues that stem from over-population would be gone pretty fast.

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Posts: 3696
Joined: Jul Sun 06, 2008 7:23 pm
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Re: Long Lost Disney Friends Returning

Post by Mousekedude » Jul Fri 15, 2016 3:09 pm

You make some good points, Wiz... But my real point has to do with the fact that the qaulity has dropped on almost everything despite prices going through the roof... things that have nothing to do with how crowded the parks are. In recent years I've seen more and more problems with incompetent or unfriendly cast members, an almost shocking decline in the quality of the housekeeping staff at the resorts (in their personal appearances and attitudes as well as their work), and in the quantity and quality of the food - even in the "hoity-toity" eateries. These declines would be bad enough if prices had stayed level, but in light of the tremendous increases in prices - coupled with decreases in available perks - the drop in quality is just hard to stomach. :evil:

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Posts: 5531
Joined: Sep Sat 04, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Long Lost Disney Friends Returning

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Fri 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Some of those items can be directly related to total volume of customers, especially if the labor pool doesn't scale. Some of the reductions in quality with price increases are just to keep that item/service going, if they were to keep it as the same quality, the price would have to go up even more, usually to the point that it would be expected people would no longer want it.

With housekeeping, the quality is probably also related to the electric whips they put on them. If they are too slow in cleaning rooms, they are shamed in front of their coworkers (via monitors).

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Posts: 3696
Joined: Jul Sun 06, 2008 7:23 pm
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Re: Long Lost Disney Friends Returning

Post by Mousekedude » Jul Sun 17, 2016 12:36 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Some of those items can be directly related to total volume of customers, especially if the labor pool doesn't scale. Some of the reductions in quality with price increases are just to keep that item/service going, if they were to keep it as the same quality, the price would have to go up even more, usually to the point that it would be expected people would no longer want it.
Very true, I suppose...
Wizzard419 wrote:With housekeeping, the quality is probably also related to the electric whips they put on them. If they are too slow in cleaning rooms, they are shamed in front of their coworkers (via monitors).
Are you serious?! How do you know this is being done? :shock:

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Posts: 5531
Joined: Sep Sat 04, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Long Lost Disney Friends Returning

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Sun 17, 2016 3:07 pm

They did an article on it in 2011, if it is legal for California you know they are (or were already) doing it in Florida. This one covers the laundry, but apparently it is in all areas of housekeeping. http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct/19 ... y-20111018

It also is being used at tech companies, posting bug queues over the vending machines (EA/Bioware does that).

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Posts: 3696
Joined: Jul Sun 06, 2008 7:23 pm
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Re: Long Lost Disney Friends Returning

Post by Mousekedude » Jul Mon 18, 2016 6:57 am

Wow... now I'm even more disillusioned with them... :?

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Posts: 5531
Joined: Sep Sat 04, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Long Lost Disney Friends Returning

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Mon 18, 2016 2:04 pm

They, like every company, only want to pay for work actually done and want their resources quantified as much as possible so they can resolve/replace people that are not meeting expectations. They would have done it from the stat but it just took decades for the systems and tech to be there. In the past they would have had to either do an expensive data pull on keys (in the sense of time) or have a person physically following people keeping track of time. Even your postal workers have a similar electric whip, in the past someone would follow them directly for a period of time, tracking their times/behavior, now that they have to scan for every section, all that data is there for review.

One of the common butt-hurt complaints that diehards have is when they see park workers outside of the parks in uniform (such as at the store or gas station). The reason for that is they no longer are "working" until they get to their ride. There was a labor law fight about that here in California, but I don't think it was found to be illegal, though that may change since cumbersome/excessive distance between arriving at work and actually getting paid is a problem.

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Posts: 3696
Joined: Jul Sun 06, 2008 7:23 pm
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Re: Long Lost Disney Friends Returning

Post by Mousekedude » Jul Tue 26, 2016 8:07 am

Ok, so back to the topic at hand...
After all my bloviating about how disillusioned we've been with Disney, wanna know what we just did? Yup, you guessed it... just booked another trip. We're going back to the Mouse! :wave:
I won't say the exact dates for security reasons, but it will be before the end of the year. We have DVC points we need to use before they expire, and we also have friends in Jacksonville that we want to visit, so we'll piggyback on that.
If any of the old Mayhem Marauder gang want to know when we're going, just p.m. me. :wink:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18504
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Long Lost Disney Friends Returning

Post by Amy » Jul Tue 26, 2016 11:35 am

Mousekedude wrote:Ok, so back to the topic at hand...
After all my bloviating about how disillusioned we've been with Disney, wanna know what we just did? Yup, you guessed it... just booked another trip. We're going back to the Mouse! :wave:
I won't say the exact dates for security reasons, but it will be before the end of the year. We have DVC points we need to use before they expire, and we also have friends in Jacksonville that we want to visit, so we'll piggyback on that.
If any of the old Mayhem Marauder gang want to know when we're going, just p.m. me. :wink:
Sweet! If the DL trip falls through, maybe we could make it to WDW instead! :goofy_bounce:

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 6727
Joined: Mar Sat 29, 2008 8:04 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Long Lost Disney Friends Returning

Post by Len90 » Aug Sat 06, 2016 9:24 am

Hey welcome back mousekedude! I just was wondering where you were and what you've been up to. We just need to get the boilers back, mind flipper, and I think we will have most of the old crew back together :D
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Posts: 3696
Joined: Jul Sun 06, 2008 7:23 pm
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Re: Long Lost Disney Friends Returning

Post by Mousekedude » Aug Sun 07, 2016 11:49 am

Len90 wrote:Hey welcome back mousekedude! I just was wondering where you were and what you've been up to. We just need to get the boilers back, mind flipper, and I think we will have most of the old crew back together :D
Thanks, Len! I'm honored and humbled that you noticed!
Mindflipper has popped in here and there... he even pm'd me to welcome me back. As for the Boilers... well, they have been really tied up in other things. I keep in touch by text and email with them, so I'll encourage them to stop by and say hi at least. :D

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Posts: 831
Joined: Sep Wed 16, 2009 10:30 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Long Lost Disney Friends Returning

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Aug Mon 08, 2016 7:25 am

Mousekedude wrote:
Len90 wrote:Hey welcome back mousekedude! I just was wondering where you were and what you've been up to. We just need to get the boilers back, mind flipper, and I think we will have most of the old crew back together :D
Thanks, Len! I'm honored and humbled that you noticed!
Mindflipper has popped in here and there... he even pm'd me to welcome me back. As for the Boilers... well, they have been really tied up in other things. I keep in touch by text and email with them, so I'll encourage them to stop by and say hi at least. :D
Well look who it is!!!?? Now that's a familiar name :D
I saw one of the Boilers on here about a year ago--in the running forum. And yes, MF has been out and about lately.

Great to see you! ...and please tell Mrs. Mousekedude we hope all is well with her too :)

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Posts: 3696
Joined: Jul Sun 06, 2008 7:23 pm
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Re: Long Lost Disney Friends Returning

Post by Mousekedude » Aug Mon 08, 2016 9:05 am

wewantsdaredhead wrote: Well look who it is!!!?? Now that's a familiar name :D
I saw one of the Boilers on here about a year ago--in the running forum. And yes, MF has been out and about lately.

Great to see you! ...and please tell Mrs. Mousekedude we hope all is well with her too :)
Thank you very much (bowing humbly...) :wave:

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Posts: 3696
Joined: Jul Sun 06, 2008 7:23 pm
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Re: Long Lost Disney Friends Returning

Post by Mousekedude » Oct Mon 24, 2016 5:05 pm

On the subject of long lost returning friends...
Soarin08 popped in on another thread and did pretty much the same "does anyone remember me?" thing that I did: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6380&p=257139#p257139
Please, everyone, send her a p.m. to welcome her back too. Who knows, maybe another Mayhem Marauder meetup can be arranged if enough of us come back...
:goofy_bounce:

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader
Posts: 2486
Joined: Nov Fri 14, 2008 12:19 am
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: Long Lost Disney Friends Returning

Post by Soarin08 » Dec Sat 10, 2016 12:37 am

Mousekedude wrote:On the subject of long lost returning friends...
Soarin08 popped in on another thread and did pretty much the same "does anyone remember me?" thing that I did: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6380&p=257139#p257139
Please, everyone, send her a p.m. to welcome her back too. Who knows, maybe another Mayhem Marauder meetup can be arranged if enough of us come back...
:goofy_bounce:
Awww thanks for the warm welcome back old buddy! Check your email! :goofy_bounce:
Image

Post Reply