My hubby and I are going to WDW for our 10th anniversary

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

figmentaholic
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover
Posts: 1546
Joined: Dec Wed 31, 2008 9:55 am
Location: Simpsonville, SC (Formerly Orlando, FL)

My hubby and I are going to WDW for our 10th anniversary

Post by figmentaholic » Apr Sun 28, 2013 2:20 pm

So, my hubby and I are going to WDW for our 10th anniversary.

I was hoping to get some insight from you guys are to things that we can do to make it extra special. I know this is kind of counter intuitive, but even though its an anniversary things will be a bit tight, so that puts some things, like Victoria and Albert's out of the picture, sadly.

I would love to hear your suggestions.




Just a bit of info to help you.


We will be going at the beginning of October, so we are hoping the Food and Wine Festival will be going on. I *LOVE* the Food and Wine Festival, even if it is a bit prohibitively expensive to eat too much.

My hubby doesn't drink alcohol, so champagne toasts and the like are out. (I do enjoy a cocktail from time to time, LOL).

Right now we have not booked the trip, so we don't know the exact specifics, such as where we will be staying but it will most likely be one of the value resorts (I am hoping Art of Animation).

We have the dates pretty much narrowed down to a couple of days either way around our anniversary, which is October 5th, so I was thinking probably arrive the 2nd and stay until the 8th, but that may change a couple of days either way. That gives us 5 park days. We will be driving (about 8 hours).

We were told by our travel agent that fall specials usually come out around June-ish, so we will probably get in touch with him after our week long trip to the in-laws next week. (I hate it that we will be in Florida but no where close to WDW)

My hubby loves roller coasters but I am a bit of a wimp, so some rides are right out for me- Everest, Space Mountain, etc.





So, let's hear it. what do you guys think we should do, any sort of suggestions at all would be awesome!
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3377/3256433787_87963f58e0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x147/sandwich_boy_photos/epcot.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://www.dansmith.ca/userbars/userbars/figment.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://www.dansmith.ca/userbars/userbars/dreamfinder-fan.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3386/3256432811_caa1112463.jpg[/img][/url]

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18467
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: My hubby and I are going to WDW for our 10th anniversary

Post by Amy » Apr Sun 28, 2013 3:34 pm

That's great that you are able to head to WDW for your 10th anniversary figmentaholic! The rumors of free dining have been flying fast and furious lately so maybe that could help you out if that falls during your trip.

Do you each have a favorite character? You could make sure you each get a picture with that character. Or an attraction you both enjoy? If it is an attraction that has an on-ride photo, you could maybe splurge on a picture to remember the occasion ~ or even better, if you timed it right, you could smooch right as the flash bulb goes off?!

You definitely should mention your anniversary when you make your ressies for hotel and any ADRs. They might have a surprise for you like a free dessert or appetizer. And you can always sport your Happy Anniversary buttons in the parks. Just hearing lots of people wish you a happy anniversary should put a smile on your faces :D

sfein
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Posts: 97
Joined: Nov Tue 07, 2006 10:43 am

Re: My hubby and I are going to WDW for our 10th anniversary

Post by sfein » Apr Sun 28, 2013 5:49 pm

My wife and I like to eat at the Coral Reef in Epcot. The aquarium in the center is excellent. Last time we went it was my birthday. My wife told them and I got a great chocolate desert and a phone fall from Goofy. For a little romance (though not private) head over to the Polynesian and watch the MK fireworks from the beach. They pipe in the music.

figmentaholic
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover
Posts: 1546
Joined: Dec Wed 31, 2008 9:55 am
Location: Simpsonville, SC (Formerly Orlando, FL)

Re: My hubby and I are going to WDW for our 10th anniversary

Post by figmentaholic » Apr Sun 28, 2013 6:07 pm

Amy wrote:That's great that you are able to head to WDW for your 10th anniversary figmentaholic! The rumors of free dining have been flying fast and furious lately so maybe that could help you out if that falls during your trip.

Do you each have a favorite character? You could make sure you each get a picture with that character. Or an attraction you both enjoy? If it is an attraction that has an on-ride photo, you could maybe splurge on a picture to remember the occasion ~ or even better, if you timed it right, you could smooch right as the flash bulb goes off?!

You definitely should mention your anniversary when you make your ressies for hotel and any ADRs. They might have a surprise for you like a free dessert or appetizer. And you can always sport your Happy Anniversary buttons in the parks. Just hearing lots of people wish you a happy anniversary should put a smile on your faces :D




Hmm.. well considering we are going to most likely use the dining plan, that might but a kabash on free meals, because don't you have to tell them when you sit down that you are using the dining plan?

His favorite character is Dale, and mine is Figment, unfortunately Figment isn't around any more... but I am sure that we are going to eat at the Garden Grill, that is one we both love. And we both love Le Cellier as well, but its hard to get a reservation there.

Most of the rides that have picture options are the scary ones that I dont like.. I know the old Test Track used to have a pic option... I can ride that.. does anyone know if the new Test Track still has it? If so, that is the only option I can think of.. are there any other non roller coasters that have pics?

I am planning to tell the hosts/hostesses when I make reservations. For the hotel I will have to remind my travel agent to tell them when he makes the reservations I guess, and I am guessing there are anniversary buttons at the entrances of the parks, at customer service?
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3377/3256433787_87963f58e0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x147/sandwich_boy_photos/epcot.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://www.dansmith.ca/userbars/userbars/figment.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://www.dansmith.ca/userbars/userbars/dreamfinder-fan.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3386/3256432811_caa1112463.jpg[/img][/url]

figmentaholic
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover
Posts: 1546
Joined: Dec Wed 31, 2008 9:55 am
Location: Simpsonville, SC (Formerly Orlando, FL)

Re: My hubby and I are going to WDW for our 10th anniversary

Post by figmentaholic » Apr Sun 28, 2013 6:12 pm

sfein wrote:My wife and I like to eat at the Coral Reef in Epcot. The aquarium in the center is excellent. Last time we went it was my birthday. My wife told them and I got a great chocolate desert and a phone fall from Goofy. For a little romance (though not private) head over to the Polynesian and watch the MK fireworks from the beach. They pipe in the music.

I have actually never eaten at the Coral Reef. I have heard it is rather noisy and crowded.. is that the case?
I will definitely tell them its our anniversary when we eat at restaurants.
I love the idea of the Polynesian, I have never thought of that before!
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3377/3256433787_87963f58e0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x147/sandwich_boy_photos/epcot.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://www.dansmith.ca/userbars/userbars/figment.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://www.dansmith.ca/userbars/userbars/dreamfinder-fan.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3386/3256432811_caa1112463.jpg[/img][/url]

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18467
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: My hubby and I are going to WDW for our 10th anniversary

Post by Amy » Apr Sun 28, 2013 6:27 pm

They might still have a small complimentary dessert, even if you are on the dining plan. I've seen pictures of little desserts that have "Happy anniversary" or "Happy birthday" on a little piece of chocolate or dusted on the plate itself with cocoa. I don't know if those desserts were ones that people ordered in advance, or were gussied up versions of desserts already on the menu.

From what I could find online, the new version of Test Track still includes a photo that you can purchase at the end of the attraction. I'm sure someone on here that has been recently can let you know if they still take the photo at the same spot as the old version.

You can get your buttons at your hotel front desk, or at the guest relations in any park. I know at the Magic Kingdom they had all the buttons that were available in a little cart right on the porch of City Hall. There was a cast member there to help you personalize the button with a marker if you chose to do so. Otherwise, you can just help yourself to whichever buttons you would like.

sfein
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Posts: 97
Joined: Nov Tue 07, 2006 10:43 am

Re: My hubby and I are going to WDW for our 10th anniversary

Post by sfein » Apr Sun 28, 2013 6:54 pm

figmentaholic wrote: I have actually never eaten at the Coral Reef. I have heard it is rather noisy and crowded.. is that the case?
!
It was neither crowded nor noisy when we last went. But no guarantees :)

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Posts: 2744
Joined: Apr Mon 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: My hubby and I are going to WDW for our 10th anniversary

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Mon 29, 2013 8:37 am

So excited for your big anniversary trip!!!

DW and I honeymooned at WDW...so we have a little bit of "romantic" knowledge of the resort.

You are going at a fantastic time! The crowds should be relatively low, though the weekend you are there will be a little bit crowded because it's the weekend and because that Saturday evening is the Tower of Terror 10-miler race at DHS. Not sure if you and the hubby can swing it financially...but Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party will be going on...and that might make for a unique anniversary celebration. You could dress up as any number of famous Disney couples and have lots of pictures with Disney characters. Just a thought.

As far as restaurants go...we ate at Coral Reef and because it was our Honeymoon they sat us right next to the tank...away from the families with big kids. The food was good...not great...and we enjoyed it. Eating at San Angel Inn can be romantic...and if you have your Anniversary buttons on you can probably get them to sit you next to el Rio del Tiempo (the river). You said your DH doesn't drink...but you could both spend an evening doing a Monorail Crawl...eating 1 course at each of the Monorail resorts and taking the Monorail between each stop. You can end at any of the resorts and then watch Wishes either from MK or from a place like the Poly.

If you have the time...visit some of the other resorts on property and just enjoy walking around them. You can start at Port Orleans French Quarter and just walk around the resort...enjoying how pretty it is...maybe stop in to get something to drink and take with you as you walk around. Then walk from there to Port Orleans Riverside...which is just up the Sassagoula River. It is a beautiful resort and IMO the best moderate resort on property. Once you get there, you can eat at Boatwright's which is easily the best restaurant in a moderate resort (not sure how many of those there actually are). The menu is classic New Orleans and old Southern...and they just updated it this month. They even have a horse-drawn carriage that you can take for a romantic tour of these lovely resorts.

I would suggest being at MK one morning for Rope Drop...so you and DH can ride everything in Fantasyland without waiting in line for hours. It will be much more romantic than it is later in the morning with hundreds of screaming kids everywhere. I will try to post any other things that pop in the old skull.
Image

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

figmentaholic
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover
Posts: 1546
Joined: Dec Wed 31, 2008 9:55 am
Location: Simpsonville, SC (Formerly Orlando, FL)

Re: My hubby and I are going to WDW for our 10th anniversary

Post by figmentaholic » Apr Mon 29, 2013 12:24 pm

Amy wrote:They might still have a small complimentary dessert, even if you are on the dining plan. I've seen pictures of little desserts that have "Happy anniversary" or "Happy birthday" on a little piece of chocolate or dusted on the plate itself with cocoa. I don't know if those desserts were ones that people ordered in advance, or were gussied up versions of desserts already on the menu.

From what I could find online, the new version of Test Track still includes a photo that you can purchase at the end of the attraction. I'm sure someone on here that has been recently can let you know if they still take the photo at the same spot as the old version.

You can get your buttons at your hotel front desk, or at the guest relations in any park. I know at the Magic Kingdom they had all the buttons that were available in a little cart right on the porch of City Hall. There was a cast member there to help you personalize the button with a marker if you chose to do so. Otherwise, you can just help yourself to whichever buttons you would like.


That is interested that they just have a cart... seems like they would be worried that people will abuse it and just grab a bunch of things.. As long as hubby doesn't mind, I would like to get our first names on them to make them more personal, but we will have to see what he thinks.

I think I will suggest the whole kissing on Test Track if we can, that sounds like fun. How much are the pics usually, aren't they like 15 bucks or so?
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3377/3256433787_87963f58e0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x147/sandwich_boy_photos/epcot.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://www.dansmith.ca/userbars/userbars/figment.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://www.dansmith.ca/userbars/userbars/dreamfinder-fan.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3386/3256432811_caa1112463.jpg[/img][/url]

figmentaholic
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover
Posts: 1546
Joined: Dec Wed 31, 2008 9:55 am
Location: Simpsonville, SC (Formerly Orlando, FL)

Re: My hubby and I are going to WDW for our 10th anniversary

Post by figmentaholic » Apr Mon 29, 2013 12:37 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:So excited for your big anniversary trip!!!

DW and I honeymooned at WDW...so we have a little bit of "romantic" knowledge of the resort.

You are going at a fantastic time! The crowds should be relatively low, though the weekend you are there will be a little bit crowded because it's the weekend and because that Saturday evening is the Tower of Terror 10-miler race at DHS. Not sure if you and the hubby can swing it financially...but Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party will be going on...and that might make for a unique anniversary celebration. You could dress up as any number of famous Disney couples and have lots of pictures with Disney characters. Just a thought.

As far as restaurants go...we ate at Coral Reef and because it was our Honeymoon they sat us right next to the tank...away from the families with big kids. The food was good...not great...and we enjoyed it. Eating at San Angel Inn can be romantic...and if you have your Anniversary buttons on you can probably get them to sit you next to el Rio del Tiempo (the river). You said your DH doesn't drink...but you could both spend an evening doing a Monorail Crawl...eating 1 course at each of the Monorail resorts and taking the Monorail between each stop. You can end at any of the resorts and then watch Wishes either from MK or from a place like the Poly.

If you have the time...visit some of the other resorts on property and just enjoy walking around them. You can start at Port Orleans French Quarter and just walk around the resort...enjoying how pretty it is...maybe stop in to get something to drink and take with you as you walk around. Then walk from there to Port Orleans Riverside...which is just up the Sassagoula River. It is a beautiful resort and IMO the best moderate resort on property. Once you get there, you can eat at Boatwright's which is easily the best restaurant in a moderate resort (not sure how many of those there actually are). The menu is classic New Orleans and old Southern...and they just updated it this month. They even have a horse-drawn carriage that you can take for a romantic tour of these lovely resorts.

I would suggest being at MK one morning for Rope Drop...so you and DH can ride everything in Fantasyland without waiting in line for hours. It will be much more romantic than it is later in the morning with hundreds of screaming kids everywhere. I will try to post any other things that pop in the old skull.



We have been to the Not So Scary once. I think the hubby was not all that impressed, so I doubt that would be something that he would be too interested in. I thought it was fun but it was rather expensive, so we may save our money on that and use it for other things, but thanks for that suggestion. :)

I am hoping the weekend wont be too bad, but we will just have to see. I think the touring plans calendar still didn't have it too bad, I hope its right.

I do like the ideas of either San Angel and/or Coral Reef, I am gonna try for one at least. And the monorail crawl? that is an awesome idea. I am thinking more like the little hang out places like the Kona Cafe where we can just walk in. Otherwise it would take forever.
Weirdly enough I have never been inside the Grand Floridian, and I have only been through the Contemporary once (other than on the monorail line of course), so what are they more bar/walk in restaurants that we would go to there?

We have stayed at the Port Orleans, and I agree that it is a very nice place. I was considering one of those horse carriages, but I am not sure how expensive they are, I thought an evening ride would be pretty romantic.

Getting him up and moving probably wont be so bad.. it is getting me up and moving early in the morning, LOL
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3377/3256433787_87963f58e0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x147/sandwich_boy_photos/epcot.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://www.dansmith.ca/userbars/userbars/figment.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://www.dansmith.ca/userbars/userbars/dreamfinder-fan.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3386/3256432811_caa1112463.jpg[/img][/url]

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Posts: 2833
Joined: Jan Fri 21, 2011 8:47 am
Location: Greenwood, IN

Re: My hubby and I are going to WDW for our 10th anniversary

Post by cy1229 » Apr Mon 29, 2013 2:02 pm

Another thing you can do is rent one of those bicycle surrey thingamabobs at Boardwalk or OKW.

We purchased a picture from RnRC and I think it was right around $15. Certainly less than $20. Not too bad for a one-time deal. They sell them on Buzz Lightyear at MK, too, if you don't want to have to go on Test Track or Splash Mountain for one.

One thing I would DEFINITELY do is hit up as many of the Photopass photographers as possible, and make sure they take a couple shots with your own cameras. You could do custom shirts to wear on your anniversary, and then have yourselves photographed all over the place. If you were at Epcot you could do this and "go around the world" on your anniversary. :)

I think it won't matter a whole lot what you do, because you'll be together. And that's the most important thing.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Posts: 2744
Joined: Apr Mon 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: My hubby and I are going to WDW for our 10th anniversary

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Mon 29, 2013 2:20 pm

Ohhhhh...you DEFINITELY need to spend some time at the Grand Floridian!!! You and DH go to the Mizner's Lounge and get some drinks (don't have to have alcohol if you don't want) and then go sit in the main lobby of the resort and just listen to the live jazz band there. You can literally spend hours there if you had the time. I think they only play in the evenings...but it is a MUST DO! I'm having a hard time finding a good quality video so this one will have to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUS4Ecw6Gl0

I'm not sure what the outside grounds look like there right now due to the construction...but DW and I sat outside near the Garden View Tea Room one evening while we enjoyed our drinks and the sunset.

As far as the Poly goes...we love just walking around the inside as well as the grounds. The way the resort is laid out you wind back and forth between the buildings and kind of get lost in all of the tropical foliage and tiki torches. Definitely makes it more romantic than most other resorts. Once you get away from the main pool you forget it is a Disney resort. If you decide to watch Wishes from the Poly beaches...make sure you are on the beach in front of the Hawaii house and not Tahiti. So...the big beach in front of the main pool is where you want to watch from. There are NO speakers piping music to the beach in front of the Tahiti building...I learned that the hard way.

For the Contemporary...there isn't really much to see here. We just really liked The Wave restaurant and bar...and we stayed at Bay Lake Tower for part of our last vacation. There really isn't much to this resort other than rooms and restaurants. If you are staying on points at BLT you can go to the Top of the World bar...so that is a perk if you end up staying there. If you can make it over to the Wilderness Lodge you should do that too...there are a few relaxing and romantic areas there as well.
Image

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Posts: 1283
Joined: Apr Tue 29, 2008 3:13 pm

Re: My hubby and I are going to WDW for our 10th anniversary

Post by Sleepy90 » Apr Mon 29, 2013 3:25 pm

Animal kingdom is open late on a Saturday so with the 10mile run going on at the other park this may be a nice quiet evening and the park is stunning at sunset. If you go when you leave the park as you cross the main bridge take a look at the nesting birds there have to be at least one hundred in those trees it really is a sight to see.

Depending on how romantically inclined you are you could always rewrite you vows and have your own private ceremony in you favourite place in the park. I don't know why but the wishing well by the side of the castle came to mind when I thought of this.

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Posts: 800
Joined: Jul Sun 31, 2011 7:40 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: My hubby and I are going to WDW for our 10th anniversary

Post by Goofyfan » Apr Mon 29, 2013 3:57 pm

My wife and I celebrated our 25th at WDW. She decided on the marakeesh for our dinner. The lamb Shank was soooooo good. I surprised her with a cake that was brought out by the staff. That was kind of special. For us, just being at WDW is special enough for us. :D :goofy:
Image

PurpleFairies
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Posts: 35
Joined: Aug Sun 26, 2012 8:52 pm

Re: My hubby and I are going to WDW for our 10th anniversary

Post by PurpleFairies » Apr Mon 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Goofyfan wrote:My wife and I celebrated our 25th at WDW. She decided on the marakeesh for our dinner. The lamb Shank was soooooo good. I surprised her with a cake that was brought out by the staff. That was kind of special. For us, just being at WDW is special enough for us. :D :goofy:
Don't forget that you and mom got those cheesy...um...I mean cute matching t-shirts made for the occasion too. :mickey: Okay...maybe I am just teasing you. They are a sweet idea to remember the occasion and you and mom had them personalized.

Post Reply