Interactive Queue Etiquette

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Interactive Queue Etiquette

Post by cy1229 » Jan Mon 09, 2012 1:39 pm

It seems like Disney is adding more and more interactive features to the queue for a lot of popular attractions. I understand this - if people are entertained they might not notice as much that they're waiting 45 minutes to ride a 2-minute attraction.

So the question is, suppose someone stops to enjoy one of the new features, and he or she does not move forward with the line. I don't mean a few feet, because really, that's just being impatient. I'm talking about a significant distance. Is it ok to bypass someone who has stopped? I haven't been to Disney since the new activities were added to the lines and I'm curious to know how you all have handled them. Does this situation arise very often?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Re: Interactive Queue Etiquette

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Mon 09, 2012 2:19 pm

If someone was playing a game and there was a decent gap in the line...I would attempt to pass them. If they suddenly stopped and rushed to get back in line, I would let them. But if they kept playing it's their decision to play instead of move forward.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

northernmousefan2007
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by northernmousefan2007 » Jan Mon 09, 2012 3:31 pm

This is a question I also had. I haven't been through any interactive queues yet.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Mon 09, 2012 3:33 pm

Generally it's ok, but at the same time they may also try to go back to where they were, so you won't have much say in stopping them.

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Jan Mon 09, 2012 4:55 pm

If the group decide to stop and play. Just ask if you could pass through... I am pretty sure that they would not mind. I can't stand the ones (and yes this includes adults) who jump the queue lines without even thinking twice. Some parents need to go back to parenting class. :roll:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Mon 09, 2012 10:16 pm

Goofyfan wrote:If the group decide to stop and play. Just ask if you could pass through... I am pretty sure that they would not mind. I can't stand the ones (and yes this includes adults) who jump the queue lines without even thinking twice. Some parents need to go back to parenting class. :roll:
I would ask as well, but only if the gap became quite big. F1gment and I wanted to play in the new Haunted Mansion graveyard and people were a little impatient behind us. I told them to go on ahead if they wanted and most streamed by. I wondered why they had even bothered to get in that side of the queue if they weren't going to play a bit :roll: One of my peeves is when kids keep creeping and creeping and eventually get in front of me, and then the parents decide they need to be up with the kids instead of bringing the kids back to where they were :evil:

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Jan Tue 10, 2012 5:19 pm

Amy wrote:
Goofyfan wrote:If the group decide to stop and play. Just ask if you could pass through... I am pretty sure that they would not mind. I can't stand the ones (and yes this includes adults) who jump the queue lines without even thinking twice. Some parents need to go back to parenting class. :roll:
I would ask as well, but only if the gap became quite big. F1gment and I wanted to play in the new Haunted Mansion graveyard and people were a little impatient behind us. I told them to go on ahead if they wanted and most streamed by. I wondered why they had even bothered to get in that side of the queue if they weren't going to play a bit :roll: One of my peeves is when kids keep creeping and creeping and eventually get in front of me, and then the parents decide they need to be up with the kids instead of bringing the kids back to where they were :evil:

BINGO Amy:::::: My thoughts exactly. :goofy:

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jan Wed 11, 2012 3:39 pm

It bugs me when people don't pay attention to the fact the line is moving- then when you ask if you can go around, dear lord, they tend to get hateful about you getting ahead of them in line. Happens constantly at Space Mountain. :shock:

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jan Wed 11, 2012 6:47 pm

Amy wrote:
Oh yes! That is one of my mega pet peeves as well...along with the kid behind me who finds it fun to kick my shoes, tug on my backpack...etc and the parents know it's happening but they choose to not do anything about it. :shock:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 11, 2012 6:49 pm

MmeLeota wrote:
Amy wrote:
Oh yes! That is one of my mega pet peeves as well...along with the kid behind me who finds it fun to kick my shoes, tug on my backpack...etc and the parents know it's happening but they choose to not do anything about it. :shock:
Yeah, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but after a while, I am just plain irritated :evil:

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jan Wed 11, 2012 6:58 pm

Yes, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt as well...but yes it does get tiresome after a while. I don't want to be branded an ankle-biter hater or anything, because that is not the case at all. I love kids...I think I am more annoyed at the parents who don't pay attention to their kids than anything.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 11, 2012 7:56 pm

MmeLeota wrote:Yes, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt as well...but yes it does get tiresome after a while. I don't want to be branded an ankle-biter hater or anything, because that is not the case at all. I love kids...I think I am more annoyed at the parents who don't pay attention to their kids than anything.
Agreed. I remind myself that they have had to deal with their lovely children all day, every day of the vacation ~ but it still doesn't excuse the behavior!

kelato89
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by kelato89 » Jun Mon 04, 2012 6:56 pm

I would skip them. That's they're problem.

lonepalm
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by lonepalm » Jun Tue 05, 2012 7:03 am

I'm not sure what I would do. I think a good problem solver would be for Disney to post signs near the interactive elements that says something along the lines of if you stop the line to participate in games, etc, you must let people pass by. That way, everyone is on the same page and the people who play the games or interact with the queue know they can/will be passed while doing so.

Proud bandwidth donor to Subsonic Radio!

Check out disneyparksinfo.com and wdwthemeparks.com!

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jun Tue 05, 2012 7:11 am

kelato89 wrote:I would skip them. That's they're problem.
I generally do. Typically they are so immersed they don't notice. One time someone did and I pointed out they were too busy playing to pay attention so that was their problem. That shut them up in a hurry. :lol: