Polynesian Rumor

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Brian845
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Polynesian Rumor

Post by Brian845 » Sep Fri 02, 2011 12:46 pm

OK, I heard this rumor from our Magical Express bus driver on the way back to the airport, so I have not clue as to the veracity of it, or whether it's been discussed before. He informed me that after the new Art of Animation resort opened up in 2012, that they'd be shutting down the Polynesian for refurbishment (not in sections, the whole thing at once...something about asbestos being commonly used in early 1970s construction). This will be interesting to see if it happens, 'cos I was hoping to stay in the Poly on our next trip!
Last edited by Brian845 on Sep Fri 02, 2011 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Re: Polynesian Rumor

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Fri 02, 2011 12:49 pm

Uh oh...don't let Boilerbabe hear that... :shock:
Hopefully it won't interfere with any future MM's RSDW meet ups either! ;)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Fri 02, 2011 12:56 pm

Oh my. That would be something to have the whole resort closed down! :shock: I wonder what they will do with reservations for the hotel since you can book so far in advance?

MouseMan
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MouseMan » Sep Fri 02, 2011 1:35 pm

Apparently WDW Travel doesn't know about it if they are closing the whole resort. I just went on the wdw web site and found availability at the Ploy for every month during 2012.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Fri 02, 2011 1:48 pm

And no company in their right mind would be so public about renovating due to asbestos because of all the lawsuits that come out of the woodworks. That would be kept as internally quiet as possible...

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Fri 02, 2011 2:03 pm

Well, Art of Animation isn't supposed to open until the fall of 2012, right? So perhaps they will wait until the beginning of 2013 to shut down the Poly for "renovation"...

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Fri 02, 2011 2:52 pm

If I recall, hotel reservations can't be made years in advance so it's still possible that they plan for a full shutdown for rennovations. Since tourism has taken a major hit they may just do it all at once so that they can save by sending workers to other resorts and laying off the ones that won't be needed and get the entire project done faster since they won't have to work arround guest areas.

MouseMan
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MouseMan » Sep Fri 02, 2011 2:58 pm

Right now you can make reservations online only through December 2012, but if you call up you can make them later. Disney does not let a small thing like the calendar keep them from planning on separating you from your money.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Fri 02, 2011 3:45 pm

Even if they did have to move you, they would contact you first rather that surprise you when you got there with a "Sorry, hotel is closed for rennovations".

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Fri 02, 2011 9:39 pm

Hmmm...I would be surprised if they would close the entire resort?! Not sure when we'll be back after Jan. 2012?! You would think if the rumor was true that they would've done that before they did the big refurb on all the rooms in '06?!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Fri 02, 2011 11:43 pm

I know that in the past they normally do it like other hotels, in stages and may even work on the room while guests are still occupying it (simple stuff like lamp shades, chairs, etc). But that takes longer overall and may cost more. If they do it, they may be expecting a sudden restart to people going on vacations again and want to use the lean time to fix up the entire hotel.

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Sep Sat 03, 2011 10:44 am

They just did a rehab of the poly in 2006-07. They did it longhouse by longhouse. I doubt they would need to do another rehab so soon there after. If there was asbestos present, I would imagine they would have had to remove it during that time to complete the rehab.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Sep Sat 03, 2011 3:34 pm

Didn't hear any rumors about the Poly. The only resorts I heard anything about right now are the GF, Contemporary, YC/BC.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Sat 03, 2011 7:21 pm

Oh geez, I don't want to hear THAT. I have this friend that is OBSESSED with the Poly and seems to believe Disney is going to freaking sell her a room there... if it gets refurbed I'll never hear the end of her whining about it. :roll:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Sat 03, 2011 8:28 pm

Soarin08 wrote:Oh geez, I don't want to hear THAT. I have this friend that is OBSESSED with the Poly and seems to believe Disney is going to freaking sell her a room there... if it gets refurbed I'll never hear the end of her whining about it. :roll:
Maybe she could buy the room "as is" ~ the price should be better that way ;) :lol:
You aren't talking about b-babe are you?! (just kidding!!)