Been on Disney Tours?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Been on Disney Tours?

Post by Amy » May Sat 21, 2011 1:35 pm

cousininmiami wrote:OK, so I cancelled Backstage Magic and made the Wild Africa Trek! After talking to a cast member about it, it sounds amazing! And I kept the Undiscovered Future World and the Segway tour through the EPCOT countries. I am now totally excited, woo-hoo! I changed my mind because it is the newest tour, and is totally different than any other tour, up-close and personal with the animals, hanging over the edge of cliffs, and getting across small wooden bridges. Also, it comes with a photo cd pass thing for your whole vacation, which I feel is a good value too. There is a camara-man with you on the safari, because you can't take pictures, and you can add up all the photo pass cards for the trip on the one unlimited CD. Cool right?
Sounds like you have a nice variety of tours. Did I understand you correctly ~ you aren't allowed to take photos on the safari?! That would be disappointing for me. It does sound like a good value for having a photo pass CD for your whole trip though. Make sure you get lots of photos taken!!
I just read the description on the tours site. Wow! That does sound like an amazing time :D Would you mind sharing the price? It didn't have it listed on the site...If you think it is worthwhile after you go, I might be interested in trying the tour before our APs expire...

jacobcary1
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by jacobcary1 » May Sat 21, 2011 9:23 pm

I think I would have kept my keys to the kingdom tour. Its just my opinion. It is more than likely not as interesting to most folks but for me, I think it would be a better tour.

jacobcary1

Post by jacobcary1 » May Sat 21, 2011 9:26 pm

I am also more geeky than cool. So animals and live things tend to not be as interesting to me. No comments (AMY) lol

wdwparksgal
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by wdwparksgal » May Sat 21, 2011 10:15 pm

I've being on the "Behind the Seeds" tour at The Land. Inexpensive and thorough, it is a wonderful tour!
Walt Disney World. Home away from Home.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Sat 21, 2011 10:22 pm

jacobcary1 wrote:I am also more geeky than cool. So animals and live things tend to not be as interesting to me. No comments (AMY) lol
Who me?! :twisted: Nah, different things for different people ~ all can happily co-exist :mrgreen:
wdwparksgal wrote:I've being on the "Behind the Seeds" tour at The Land. Inexpensive and thorough, it is a wonderful tour!
We wanted to do that this past trip but ran out of time :( Maybe the next trip :D

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » May Mon 23, 2011 10:48 am

The price of the Wild Africa Trek is $189 per person. We have been on The Keys to the Kingdom tour, and yes it is awesome! But the one I cancelled to do the Africa one was the Backstage Magic (all four parks), $190 per person. So, since we've been on Keys to the Kingdom at Magic Kingdom, and we are doing EPCOT Future world and the countries, I thought the Wild Africa Trek would be totally different! The only park left for me to do a tour some other time is one at the Studios.

As for them saying no photos, they didn't say no photos, they said a camera must be able to be completely attached to your vest that they outfit you with. They also said, no cell phones, wallets etc. The reason is you will be hanging over the animals and/or walking above them and they don't want to risk anything falling into the animals that would harm them. So, considering I have a quite large Nikon camera, that wouldn't work for me to hook it up. But I am looking into buying a small, thin, camera of some sort that would be small and could be hooked up to the vest somehow. The CM told me on the tour he went on, there were 140 pictures taken. Of course some were of the other people in the group, but seriously, I'm going to attempt to find a camera to use! Any ideas??? Something small, thin, lightweight, good picture quality, but not too expensive?? Thanks :)
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Mon 23, 2011 11:40 am

cousininmiami wrote:The price of the Wild Africa Trek is $189 per person. We have been on The Keys to the Kingdom tour, and yes it is awesome! But the one I cancelled to do the Africa one was the Backstage Magic (all four parks), $190 per person. So, since we've been on Keys to the Kingdom at Magic Kingdom, and we are doing EPCOT Future world and the countries, I thought the Wild Africa Trek would be totally different! The only park left for me to do a tour some other time is one at the Studios.

As for them saying no photos, they didn't say no photos, they said a camera must be able to be completely attached to your vest that they outfit you with. They also said, no cell phones, wallets etc. The reason is you will be hanging over the animals and/or walking above them and they don't want to risk anything falling into the animals that would harm them. So, considering I have a quite large Nikon camera, that wouldn't work for me to hook it up. But I am looking into buying a small, thin, camera of some sort that would be small and could be hooked up to the vest somehow. The CM told me on the tour he went on, there were 140 pictures taken. Of course some were of the other people in the group, but seriously, I'm going to attempt to find a camera to use! Any ideas??? Something small, thin, lightweight, good picture quality, but not too expensive?? Thanks :)
Gotcha. Makes sense that they don't want people dropping things on the poor little critters' heads :shock: The newer cameras are quite capable of taking very nice photos and with the higher mega pixel sizes available, you will be able to make large prints if you wish. I would suggest dropping by your local electronics stores and trying them out. Make sure they have the attachment point you will need!

jacobcary1

Post by jacobcary1 » May Mon 23, 2011 3:47 pm

I was very surprised with the newer point and shoot we bought. I have always been an SLR shooter until I had kids then it became hard to carry around the large ones and I started with the little ones. I think the cannon I have now is awesome and its tiny. Be careful when buying point and shoot new ones they are starting to phase out the viewfinder and go all digital, The bad thing about this is the battery will run dead using only the digital view. Its sounds like you got it figured out though.

lonepalm
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by lonepalm » May Thu 26, 2011 7:59 pm

I have done DiveQuest three times, and it is amazing. You have to be a certified SCUBA diver, but if you are, it is well worth the money. It's fun to go behind the scenes and walk into the cast member only area of (what they still call) The Living Seas. Once you are ready to walk through the pavilion in the Guest areas, they ask you to be aware that you are walking through the Guest area and to smile as a Cast Member would. Then, you travel up the stairs in the pillar in the middle of the one room where you get almost a 360 degree view of the aquarium. Once up there, you get your gear on and go into the (very cold) water! The best part about it for me is that I am now part of the experience for those Guests that are viewing the tank! I love to perform some tricks in front of the windows, especially those at the restaurant, and wave to the little kids and see the smiles on their faces when they turn to their parents and say that the person in the tank noticed them and waved to them. It is a great feeling, and the dive experience is great. All around a great tour.

Proud bandwidth donor to Subsonic Radio!

Check out disneyparksinfo.com and wdwthemeparks.com!

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » May Fri 27, 2011 2:24 am

cousininmiami wrote:The price of the Wild Africa Trek is $189 per person. We have been on The Keys to the Kingdom tour, and yes it is awesome! But the one I cancelled to do the Africa one was the Backstage Magic (all four parks), $190 per person. So, since we've been on Keys to the Kingdom at Magic Kingdom, and we are doing EPCOT Future world and the countries, I thought the Wild Africa Trek would be totally different! The only park left for me to do a tour some other time is one at the Studios.

Saw this on the tours video in the room in Feb while we were there and thought Wow now there is a tour I'd really like to do, that was until they showed the sequence with the rope bridge you have to cross then I backed off the idea and headed for the hills, it would be Ok as long as you were not afraid of heights. Tell us all about this one when you get back Cousininmiami.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Fri 27, 2011 6:20 am

Sleepy90 wrote:Saw this on the tours video in the room in Feb while we were there and thought Wow now there is a tour I'd really like to do, that was until they showed the sequence with the rope bridge you have to cross then I backed off the idea and headed for the hills, it would be Ok as long as you were not afraid of heights. Tell us all about this one when you get back Cousininmiami.
I'm guessing you could opt out of this portion of the tour if you really did not want to do it. That would be a good question to ask on the tour website!

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » May Fri 27, 2011 10:26 am

Well, you can't back out of the rope bridge actually! While signing up for the tour on the phone, the CM asked many questions. One was, is anyone afraid of heights? There are also other parameters, you have to be over 4' tall, under 250 #, good heath, no heart conditions etc, be able to walk distances, wear tennis shoes or walking shoes (closed), no sandals or flip flops, no loose items that cannot be hooked on to the vest, and get across the rope bridge! You have to answer this series of questions before they make the reservation and charge your credit card! They also asked about any food allergies and/or dietary needs so they can have the right food for you at the Boma Hut on the Savannah! Hummmm, can't think of anything else right now... oh yeah, this is rain or shine, no refunds! I'm hoping for no rain. July is rainy in Orlando, but the morning is usually OK, doesn't cloud up and rain until the afternoon.
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Fri 27, 2011 11:11 am

cousininmiami wrote:Well, you can't back out of the rope bridge actually! While signing up for the tour on the phone, the CM asked many questions. One was, is anyone afraid of heights? There are also other parameters, you have to be over 4' tall, under 250 #, good heath, no heart conditions etc, be able to walk distances, wear tennis shoes or walking shoes (closed), no sandals or flip flops, no loose items that cannot be hooked on to the vest, and get across the rope bridge! You have to answer this series of questions before they make the reservation and charge your credit card! They also asked about any food allergies and/or dietary needs so they can have the right food for you at the Boma Hut on the Savannah! Hummmm, can't think of anything else right now... oh yeah, this is rain or shine, no refunds! I'm hoping for no rain. July is rainy in Orlando, but the morning is usually OK, doesn't cloud up and rain until the afternoon.
Oh! Good to know! I've never had any fear of heights so I never really even think of these things as being a problem. It wasn't until I was telling people about my climb over the Sydney Harbor bridge that I found out so many of my friends have problems with heights :shock: :lol:

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jun Wed 01, 2011 8:15 am

DW and I are going to do the Behind the Seeds Tour. Would those of you who have done it suggest we go ahead and make reservations or should we just do that when we get to the Land? We'll be there for 9 days...so we'll have some flexibility and plan on doing a good bit of hopping. Also...would you suggest going earlier or later?

Thanks!

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Jun Wed 01, 2011 9:28 am

We did Behind the Seeds last year, it was informative and enjoyable. We actually had reservations (paid ahead of time), but I don't think that it's necessary to do. You would need to find out in advance though, what the times are for the tours, and if any are already full. That can be done at the tour desk inside the Land in the morning I suppose.

Part of the tour is outside, not all is inside so, being able to choose if it is raining or not might be a plus when to go! I know all three tours we have planned for July are rain or shine, and I know what the weather is like in Orlando in the summer! I will be looking forward to your trip report! Have fun!