Do you stay at a Disney resort? Why or Why Not?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Do you stay at a Disney resort? Why or Why Not?

Post by Amy » Dec Fri 17, 2010 1:21 pm

leblanan wrote:
Amy wrote:
dichuy wrote:Someone here (i think mousedude) reported at they only provide the transfer if you are first in a deluxe hotel. If you start out in a value and move to a deluxe you are on your own. And that is why I asked the question. But you'd think they would offer it no matter right?
That does seem odd. I just figured if you were moving about on property they would take care of things for you. Like I mentioned, it would be worth a phone call anyhow. And if you do have to take a taxi it sounds like the rates are reasonable.
They move your stuff no matter what resort your staying at or moving to. We once started at an all star resort and they moved our stuff and it was in our room at the next resort when we checked in. You def get more perks from a delux resort, but something like this they don't distinguish between what level you're staying at.
dichuy wrote:Hmmmm, maybe it depends? Further back in this thread Mousedude talks about having to get his own transportation when going from a value to a deluxe, but getting his luggage transfered when he went deluxe to value/moderate. At least I think I remember it being Mousedude. I'm blond. I could be mistaken. I'll go take a nap now.
:lol: You made me laugh out loud dichuy and now the people at the library are looking at me like I am a crazy person!! :lol:
Could you take a nap for me too? I still have another 5 hours in my work day and I already feel the sleepy shutters closing behind my eyelids :(

dichuy
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by dichuy » Dec Fri 17, 2010 1:32 pm

Amy wrote::lol: You made me laugh out loud dichuy and now the people at the library are looking at me like I am a crazy person!! :lol:
Could you take a nap for me too? I still have another 5 hours in my work day and I already feel the sleepy shutters closing behind my eyelids :(
What? I couldn't make Pepsi come out of your nose when you laughed? Oh, that's right. It's the library and they don't allow food or drink. Wait. Do they allow it now?

It would be my honor to add an extra nap in your name. Sadly, I HAVE fallen asleep at my desk before. Goodness, I hope I didn't snore.
Step out to your left please. When the car stops, step out to your left.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Fri 17, 2010 6:38 pm

dichuy wrote:
Amy wrote::lol: You made me laugh out loud dichuy and now the people at the library are looking at me like I am a crazy person!! :lol:
What? I couldn't make Pepsi come out of your nose when you laughed? Oh, that's right. It's the library and they don't allow food or drink. Wait. Do they allow it now?

It would be my honor to add an extra nap in your name. Sadly, I HAVE fallen asleep at my desk before. Goodness, I hope I didn't snore.
Ahhh, I feel refreshed ~ thanks! I don't think this library lets you have drinks but another that I go to allows bottles with lids...I think. It is hard for me to fall asleep with my students pounding away at their songs ;) Ah...to have a desk job again :D Although my last job was at the fire station so I could sleep there ;) but it was generally not long lived :(
Did you call and check on the luggage situation?

knedeau
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by knedeau » Dec Tue 21, 2010 1:54 pm

I love to stay at the resorts! Sadly, since my folks bought a place in Kissimmee, when I travel down there, they expect me to stay with them.... :(
"Hey, Look at that guy in the Goofy Mask!" "That's not a mask!" "Oh... Sorry Lady!"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Tue 21, 2010 5:20 pm

knedeau wrote:I love to stay at the resorts! Sadly, since my folks bought a place in Kissimmee, when I travel down there, they expect me to stay with them.... :(
At least that is free! :D

joeyflds

Post by joeyflds » Feb Tue 01, 2011 1:21 pm

The perks of staying on the resort far out way staying off property.

dougfies
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Post by dougfies » Feb Tue 01, 2011 3:38 pm

We are DVC members, so we always stay at the Disney Resorts. Our home resort is the Boardwalk, but we have tried others. Wilderness Lodge (DVC Units) is beautiful. We have even used the points at Disneyland in CA.

Our reason for buying in was the convenience of being on property as well as the plain old good feelings of staying there.

secondstar
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by secondstar » Feb Tue 01, 2011 6:14 pm

disneylizzy wrote:Just wondering how many people stay in the Disney resorts when they visit Disneyworld....

We always stay on property. One reason is b/c we like to be completely immersed in Disney while we're there,...
Absolutely! I totally agree with disneylizzy. On our first trip, we stayed off property. That was the last time, too. I love being totally immersed in Disney. Also, i love the extra perks of getting into the parks early or staying late.

On every vacation, we plan one day "off-property," but we never seem to make it. We just can't seem to leave the Magic.
[i]"Herbie, I just want it to look like nothing else in the world. And it should be surrounded by a train"[/i]

-- Walt Disney

masterj345
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by masterj345 » Feb Wed 02, 2011 12:56 am

every time ive stayed on prop its so much better and such a less stressful and more enjoyable trip

Polynesian Princess
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by Polynesian Princess » Feb Mon 07, 2011 9:32 pm

As a child, my family always stayed off property until my cousin got married at Disney and my aunt practically begged my parents to stay on property to help them meet the room quotas. After that, we never stayed off property again. :lol: My husband and I always stay on property. We would stay off property only IF it was significantly cheaper than the values and IF that difference made the difference between going to WDW or not being able to go at all. Thankfully we've never been in that position, and I hope we never are.

We really feel the most "bang for our buck" from the evening magic hours. We take advantage of them every night and stay until the bitter end. My husband and I are total night owls. Of course, I also love the extravagant themeing and not ever having to leave the magic. We've also had good experiences with the dining plan and enjoy that as well.

We're working on staying at all of the hotels at least once. So far I've stayed at:
All Star Music
Pop Century
Fort Wilderness (Campers :lol: )
Caribbean Beach
Coronado Springs
Port Orleans Riverside
Polynesian
We're getting there! We love doing split stays too - it really adds an extra magic experience to it and the changing hotels isn't bad at all if you pack with the swap in mind. We pack one bag for each portion of the trip with the clothes for that hotel, then one bag that holds things we'll need at both places. We leave the bag for the other hotel in our truck. It makes for less packing and unpacking.
disneylizzy wrote:You'd just have to be careful not to fall into the comparison game w/ the resorts - like "oh, I liked the pool at ___ better, etc."
That is a danger with split stays, but you just have to take into consideration the "level" of the hotel, whether this is by Disney's classifications or your own rankings. We always try to "upgrade" in the second portion to the deluxe hotel / the hotel we like better - that way we have something to look forward to. Plus, at the beginning of the trip when we're more commando at the parks, we're staying at the cheaper hotel and are more ready to relax at the second hotel.
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Tue 08, 2011 6:48 am

That's pretty awesome that you are working your way through the resorts Poly! It makes sense to "upgrade" as you say when you split stay too. I think it would be harder to move from a moderate or deluxe downward, especially to a value! I notice you will check one "new" hotel off your list this time and repeat the Poly...

Polynesian Princess

Post by Polynesian Princess » Feb Tue 08, 2011 10:17 am

It is a lot of fun to try them all! I think sometimes ones you aren't sure you'll like and might not otherwise try, you can end up loving. :) They all have great things about them. I've got 12 left to try after this trip, so if we can hit one or two a trip, I think I'll have stayed at them all probably in about 8 to 10 trips (giving some room for repeats :) ).

We've done the split stay once before with Caribbean Beach and Polynesian. We only got to stay at the Polynesian (our first time at that hotel) for two days that time. Obviously it's my favorite, so we're repeating it this go around with a 4 day stay. I'm a little worried that it might not be quite as nice this time since last time we got a free surprise upgrade to club level. :lol: I know I'll still love it though and I'm excited to try POFQ.
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Feb Tue 08, 2011 11:06 am

I think the PO resorts are the best themed moderates...and they are about as centrally located to all of the parks as you can get.

DW and I have thought about doing a split stay on our next trip...starting out at a value and then ending up at a deluxe. Like you, Poly Princess, our first few days are always "GO, GO, GO" so we wouldn't be in our room much anyway. It's the latter part of the trip that you want to spend at resorts and doing a little more relaxing. I just wish we could go for at least 8-10 days though so we could include some relaxation time by the pools or something.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Tue 08, 2011 11:14 am

Polynesian Princess wrote:It is a lot of fun to try them all! I think sometimes ones you aren't sure you'll like and might not otherwise try, you can end up loving. :) They all have great things about them. I've got 12 left to try after this trip, so if we can hit one or two a trip, I think I'll have stayed at them all probably in about 8 to 10 trips (giving some room for repeats :) ).

We've done the split stay once before with Caribbean Beach and Polynesian. We only got to stay at the Polynesian (our first time at that hotel) for two days that time. Obviously it's my favorite, so we're repeating it this go around with a 4 day stay. I'm a little worried that it might not be quite as nice this time since last time we got a free surprise upgrade to club level. :lol: I know I'll still love it though and I'm excited to try POFQ.
How long is your trip this time?

Polynesian Princess

Post by Polynesian Princess » Feb Tue 08, 2011 11:26 am

One week - 3 days at POFQ, 4 days at Polynesian.