Do you stay at a Disney resort? Why or Why Not?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Posts: 5531
Joined: Sep Sat 04, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Do you stay at a Disney resort? Why or Why Not?

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Tue 30, 2010 3:00 pm

I think the cities in South OC have been taking a page from Disney because they are spending a ton of purple (and other solid colored) signs to tell people how to get to various locations. This would be good if they were tourist destinations, but I doubt many outsiders really need to know where city hall is. :D

rphillips14
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Posts: 385
Joined: Nov Fri 13, 2009 7:05 am
Location: Kentucky

Re: Do you stay at a Disney resort? Why or Why Not?

Post by rphillips14 » Nov Tue 30, 2010 3:36 pm

I personally think you have to stay at a Disney resort to immurse yourself in the Disney experience. That's where you get the wash cloth animals, the pools, the little lizards, the buses and the cast members that you'll see several times during your stay. We wouldn't stay anywhere else.
Image

dichuy
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Posts: 162
Joined: Oct Mon 25, 2010 1:24 pm
Location: Manhattan, but the Magic Kingdom in my head

Re: Do you stay at a Disney resort? Why or Why Not?

Post by dichuy » Dec Thu 09, 2010 10:56 am

Mousekedude wrote:
Amy wrote:...it just seems like you would waste so much time moving from one room/resort to another that it probably isn't worth it unless you are spending 3 or 4 days in each place.
We actually do that on most trips. For example, on our last trip we stayed at AK Lodge for 3 or 4 nights, then transferred to Saratoga Springs for 5 or 6 more. This trip we're going to stay at Port Orleans Riverside for 3 nights and then transfer to the Boardwalk for 8 more. We like doing that just for the variety, and to save a little money. It's not hard at all. Usually we just drop our bags with Bell Services in the morning on our way to a park, and they transfer them for us. All we have to do is show up at the second resort sometime later in the day and check in. The only exception is when we go from a moderate to a deluxe, like we're going to do on this trip. We have to transfer our luggage ourselves when leaving a moderate, but we just call a taxi and "presto-changeo" we're good! So it's almost like taking two trips in one! :mrgreen:
Mousedude, can you give me a ballpark price on how much a taxi is to go from one Disney hotel to another? We might be starting out at an All-Star and switching to the Contemporary. Just wanna know how much to budget for!
Step out to your left please. When the car stops, step out to your left.

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Posts: 2975
Joined: Feb Tue 16, 2010 7:38 am
Location: EXACTLY 160 miles away from the MOUSE

Re: Do you stay at a Disney resort? Why or Why Not?

Post by NaCler » Dec Thu 09, 2010 11:54 am

dichuy wrote:Mousedude, can you give me a ballpark price on how much a taxi is to go from one Disney hotel to another? We might be starting out at an All-Star and switching to the Contemporary. Just wanna know how much to budget for!
I'll go ahead and answer that since M-Dude isn't due back for a couple of days. My mom took a Mears van taxi from the Poly to the Yacht Club and it was right @ $15.00. I don't know if there is an extra charge per person, though.

dichuy
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Posts: 162
Joined: Oct Mon 25, 2010 1:24 pm
Location: Manhattan, but the Magic Kingdom in my head

Re: Do you stay at a Disney resort? Why or Why Not?

Post by dichuy » Dec Thu 09, 2010 12:23 pm

NaCler wrote:
dichuy wrote:Mousedude, can you give me a ballpark price on how much a taxi is to go from one Disney hotel to another? We might be starting out at an All-Star and switching to the Contemporary. Just wanna know how much to budget for!
I'll go ahead and answer that since M-Dude isn't due back for a couple of days. My mom took a Mears van taxi from the Poly to the Yacht Club and it was right @ $15.00. I don't know if there is an extra charge per person, though.
Thanks NaCler! That info is very helpful!
Step out to your left please. When the car stops, step out to your left.

Yensidaj
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic
Posts: 116
Joined: Sep Sat 16, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: Emporia, Kansas

Re: Do you stay at a Disney resort? Why or Why Not?

Post by Yensidaj » Dec Fri 10, 2010 10:22 am

I always stay on resort:
Don't have to get a rental thanks to Magical express (i don't plan on doing anyting non disney anways)
Extra magic hours
and transportation to and from the parks with out having to remember if you were in goofy 15 or donald 12

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Posts: 1786
Joined: Mar Mon 30, 2009 12:31 pm

Re: Do you stay at a Disney resort? Why or Why Not?

Post by momeja » Dec Fri 10, 2010 12:52 pm

NaCler wrote:
dichuy wrote:Mousedude, can you give me a ballpark price on how much a taxi is to go from one Disney hotel to another? We might be starting out at an All-Star and switching to the Contemporary. Just wanna know how much to budget for!
I'll go ahead and answer that since M-Dude isn't due back for a couple of days. My mom took a Mears van taxi from the Poly to the Yacht Club and it was right @ $15.00. I don't know if there is an extra charge per person, though.
You can also just take a regular taxi with no charge per person. I'd watch the meter, though. Since the distances are short, the drivers tend to plump the meter a bit to get an extra fare.

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Posts: 641
Joined: Nov Wed 28, 2007 10:29 pm
Location: Too far from Walt Disney World

Re: Do you stay at a Disney resort? Why or Why Not?

Post by Sharonofwindham » Dec Sun 12, 2010 4:45 pm

The first few visits were off property, and I have to admit I had such feelings of envy for the people heading down the ramp to the Ft. Wilderness boats! Finally stayed in one of the FW cabins in '89, and that was it, have never stayed off property since. You can't beat the feeling and it's worth saving for two or three years to make the most out of a WDW visit.
:goofy_bounce:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18485
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Do you stay at a Disney resort? Why or Why Not?

Post by Amy » Dec Thu 16, 2010 9:30 pm

dichuy wrote:
Mousekedude wrote:
Amy wrote:...it just seems like you would waste so much time moving from one room/resort to another that it probably isn't worth it unless you are spending 3 or 4 days in each place.
We actually do that on most trips. For example, on our last trip we stayed at AK Lodge for 3 or 4 nights, then transferred to Saratoga Springs for 5 or 6 more. This trip we're going to stay at Port Orleans Riverside for 3 nights and then transfer to the Boardwalk for 8 more. We like doing that just for the variety, and to save a little money. It's not hard at all. Usually we just drop our bags with Bell Services in the morning on our way to a park, and they transfer them for us. All we have to do is show up at the second resort sometime later in the day and check in. The only exception is when we go from a moderate to a deluxe, like we're going to do on this trip. We have to transfer our luggage ourselves when leaving a moderate, but we just call a taxi and "presto-changeo" we're good! So it's almost like taking two trips in one! :mrgreen:
Mousedude, can you give me a ballpark price on how much a taxi is to go from one Disney hotel to another? We might be starting out at an All-Star and switching to the Contemporary. Just wanna know how much to budget for!
Just take the on-property bus ~ that is free! :D

dichuy
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Posts: 162
Joined: Oct Mon 25, 2010 1:24 pm
Location: Manhattan, but the Magic Kingdom in my head

Re: Do you stay at a Disney resort? Why or Why Not?

Post by dichuy » Dec Thu 16, 2010 10:19 pm

Amy wrote:Just take the on-property bus ~ that is free! :D
We don't want to bring our suitcases with us on a Disney bus (do they even allow that?). We'll have 2 suitcases since we go to Barcelona after. That and if we pack stuff for 2 in one suitcase our luggage weights 55 pounds and I'm not paying the $50 for each leg of the flights so we have to spread stuff to 2 suitcases and a carry on (with the important stuff that I won't check).
Step out to your left please. When the car stops, step out to your left.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18485
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Do you stay at a Disney resort? Why or Why Not?

Post by Amy » Dec Fri 17, 2010 7:13 am

dichuy wrote:
Amy wrote:Just take the on-property bus ~ that is free! :D
We don't want to bring our suitcases with us on a Disney bus (do they even allow that?). We'll have 2 suitcases since we go to Barcelona after. That and if we pack stuff for 2 in one suitcase our luggage weights 55 pounds and I'm not paying the $50 for each leg of the flights so we have to spread stuff to 2 suitcases and a carry on (with the important stuff that I won't check).
When you are moving from one resort to another, check your bags with luggage services. I would think they would move them to another resort since you are staying on property. It is at least worth a phone call to see if they do provide that service. I don't know as I have never switched resorts during a trip, just rooms at a particular resort. I know the Mousekecouple and the double-boilers both did split stays this time so they would know for sure. Otherwise I guess you will have to take a taxi.

dichuy
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Posts: 162
Joined: Oct Mon 25, 2010 1:24 pm
Location: Manhattan, but the Magic Kingdom in my head

Re: Do you stay at a Disney resort? Why or Why Not?

Post by dichuy » Dec Fri 17, 2010 7:53 am

Amy wrote:
dichuy wrote:
Amy wrote:Just take the on-property bus ~ that is free! :D
We don't want to bring our suitcases with us on a Disney bus (do they even allow that?). We'll have 2 suitcases since we go to Barcelona after. That and if we pack stuff for 2 in one suitcase our luggage weights 55 pounds and I'm not paying the $50 for each leg of the flights so we have to spread stuff to 2 suitcases and a carry on (with the important stuff that I won't check).
When you are moving from one resort to another, check your bags with luggage services. I would think they would move them to another resort since you are staying on property. It is at least worth a phone call to see if they do provide that service. I don't know as I have never switched resorts during a trip, just rooms at a particular resort. I know the Mousekecouple and the double-boilers both did split stays this time so they would know for sure. Otherwise I guess you will have to take a taxi.
Someone here (i think mousedude) reported at they only provide the transfer if you are first in a deluxe hotel. If you start out in a value and move to a deluxe you are on your own. And that is why I asked the question. But you'd think they would offer it no matter right?
Step out to your left please. When the car stops, step out to your left.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18485
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Do you stay at a Disney resort? Why or Why Not?

Post by Amy » Dec Fri 17, 2010 7:55 am

dichuy wrote:Someone here (i think mousedude) reported at they only provide the transfer if you are first in a deluxe hotel. If you start out in a value and move to a deluxe you are on your own. And that is why I asked the question. But you'd think they would offer it no matter right?
That does seem odd. I just figured if you were moving about on property they would take care of things for you. Like I mentioned, it would be worth a phone call anyhow. And if you do have to take a taxi it sounds like the rates are reasonable.

leblanan
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Posts: 303
Joined: Aug Tue 19, 2008 12:40 pm

Re: Do you stay at a Disney resort? Why or Why Not?

Post by leblanan » Dec Fri 17, 2010 11:23 am

Amy wrote:
dichuy wrote:Someone here (i think mousedude) reported at they only provide the transfer if you are first in a deluxe hotel. If you start out in a value and move to a deluxe you are on your own. And that is why I asked the question. But you'd think they would offer it no matter right?
That does seem odd. I just figured if you were moving about on property they would take care of things for you. Like I mentioned, it would be worth a phone call anyhow. And if you do have to take a taxi it sounds like the rates are reasonable.
They move your stuff no matter what resort your staying at or moving to. We once started at an all star resort and they moved our stuff and it was in our room at the next resort when we checked in. You def get more perks from a delux resort, but something like this they don't distinguish between what level you're staying at.
"now, bring me that horizon"

dichuy
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Posts: 162
Joined: Oct Mon 25, 2010 1:24 pm
Location: Manhattan, but the Magic Kingdom in my head

Re: Do you stay at a Disney resort? Why or Why Not?

Post by dichuy » Dec Fri 17, 2010 11:33 am

leblanan wrote:
Amy wrote:
dichuy wrote:Someone here (i think mousedude) reported at they only provide the transfer if you are first in a deluxe hotel. If you start out in a value and move to a deluxe you are on your own. And that is why I asked the question. But you'd think they would offer it no matter right?
That does seem odd. I just figured if you were moving about on property they would take care of things for you. Like I mentioned, it would be worth a phone call anyhow. And if you do have to take a taxi it sounds like the rates are reasonable.
They move your stuff no matter what resort your staying at or moving to. We once started at an all star resort and they moved our stuff and it was in our room at the next resort when we checked in. You def get more perks from a delux resort, but something like this they don't distinguish between what level you're staying at.
Hmmmm, maybe it depends? Further back in this thread Mousedude talks about having to get his own transportation when going from a value to a deluxe, but getting his luggage transfered when he went deluxe to value/moderate. At least I think I remember it being Mousedude. I'm blond. I could be mistaken. I'll go take a nap now.
Step out to your left please. When the car stops, step out to your left.

Post Reply