Going to WDW in October, Suggestions?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Chernabog
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Going to WDW in October, Suggestions?

Post by Chernabog » Jun Thu 10, 2010 10:50 am

We just booked our flights to Orlando for October. Excellent!!

While I have been to WDW quite a few times, twice before in Oct, I am always looking for hints or suggestions. We do NOT yet have rooms, tickets, meal plans, nada! I do not believe the deals have come out but any help there is greatly appreciated!

We have done "Not So Scary" twice and plan on making it a trifecta. So, any suggestions, secrets, hints, good ideas, money saving deals, etc are welcome!

greendoor678
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Re: Going to WDW in October, Suggestions?

Post by greendoor678 » Jun Thu 10, 2010 12:20 pm

How exciting! We are also going in Oct.

What dates will you be there? Do you want to stay on property or off? How many kids are going and what are their ages? It may help us come up with some good ideas for you.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jun Thu 10, 2010 1:11 pm

You can pick up a copy of the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World and read through it...it is the best I have seen in terms of valuable Disney information. They have a website as well http://www.TouringPlans.com that has a lot of the same information. You can also get a lot of good information through podcasts. My favorite is WDW Today because you can go to their website and search on keywords to bring back relevant podcasts.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

nicklesm17
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by nicklesm17 » Jun Thu 10, 2010 3:33 pm

there are many reasons i like going there at that time of year. as i think of 'em i'll post more. for now, the best "tip" i can offer is concerning the food and wine festival. odds are, they will be offering the free dining plan when you go. assuming you'll be staying at a disney resort, and taking advantage of this deal, many people are unaware that you can use the "snack" portions of your free dining at this event. so save 'em. don't waste 'em on a cookie or piece of fruit. last year i had some $8 "snacks" at the food and wine festival. now that's getting value. for some reason, knowing that it's "free" makes the wandering around tasting everything even more fun than it already is.

Chernabog
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Chernabog » Jun Thu 10, 2010 3:37 pm

greendoor678 wrote:How exciting! We are also going in Oct.

What dates will you be there? Do you want to stay on property or off? How many kids are going and what are their ages? It may help us come up with some good ideas for you.
10-11 to 10-19. Open to either but would prefer on property, unless the off property deal was trememndous & very close to the park. Two kids, boy & girl, ages 7 & 4 (well, she will have just turned 5).

Chernabog
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Chernabog » Jun Thu 10, 2010 3:38 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:You can pick up a copy of the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World and read through it...it is the best I have seen in terms of valuable Disney information. They have a website as well http://www.TouringPlans.com that has a lot of the same information. You can also get a lot of good information through podcasts. My favorite is WDW Today because you can go to their website and search on keywords to bring back relevant podcasts.
Thanks, will look into both!

Chernabog
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Chernabog » Jun Thu 10, 2010 3:41 pm

nicklesm17 wrote:there are many reasons i like going there at that time of year. as i think of 'em i'll post more. for now, the best "tip" i can offer is concerning the food and wine festival. odds are, they will be offering the free dining plan when you go. assuming you'll be staying at a disney resort, and taking advantage of this deal, many people are unaware that you can use the "snack" portions of your free dining at this event. so save 'em. don't waste 'em on a cookie or piece of fruit. last year i had some $8 "snacks" at the food and wine festival. now that's getting value. for some reason, knowing that it's "free" makes the wandering around tasting everything even more fun than it already is.
I did not know that, awesome!! And does anyone know the deal w/the free meal plan for our dates? I have heard that it will & that it will not be extended. I pray they extend it! And I agree, the Food & Wine Festival would be greatly improved knowing the food is covered under the snack category!

nicklesm17

Post by nicklesm17 » Jun Thu 10, 2010 6:47 pm

I did not know that, awesome!! And does anyone know the deal w/the free meal plan for our dates? I have heard that it will & that it will not be extended. I pray they extend it! And I agree, the Food & Wine Festival would be greatly improved knowing the food is covered under the snack category!
no, it has not been announced yet for your dates. at this time it's only been released up to 10/2. this is how they've done it in past years (including last year). so keep your eyes peeled, as history has shown your dates should be available w/ free dining, no later than mid july. just watch for the updated offer more closely as that time approaches. i'd be surprised at them cancelling the offer with all the construction going on. if anything they might even offer a combinable deal since that is considered a "low" or "lower" season. we've scored some pretty good deals in oct. in the past. also, don't worry if you just nailed down the meal deal, and as time progresses a bonus combinable (better) offer pops up. just contact disney or your travel agent, they've always re-done our confirmation with the best offer possible... no extra charge.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jun Thu 10, 2010 8:34 pm

That's awesome Chernabog! I think Disney releases their new promos in Aug. That's what DH and I are waiting for! We love the Halloween party too, that's a must do at Disney in Oct.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Thu 10, 2010 8:49 pm

nicklesm17 wrote:
no, it has not been announced yet for your dates. at this time it's only been released up to 10/2. this is how they've done it in past years (including last year). so keep your eyes peeled, as history has shown your dates should be available w/ free dining, no later than mid july. just watch for the updated offer more closely as that time approaches. i'd be surprised at them cancelling the offer with all the construction going on. if anything they might even offer a combinable deal since that is considered a "low" or "lower" season. we've scored some pretty good deals in oct. in the past. also, don't worry if you just nailed down the meal deal, and as time progresses a bonus combinable (better) offer pops up. just contact disney or your travel agent, they've always re-done our confirmation with the best offer possible... no extra charge.
Yup, I know some people who are leaving for their first ever trip to Disney next week and they were told they could change their booking up to three times in order to take advantage of the best deal. They are staying at Bay Lake Towers and chose the smallest plan of the Table Service dining plan. With their deal they got a $750 gift card to use on property. Someone in the know told them that that was the best promo out there, even better than the free Dining Plan.

nicklesm17

Post by nicklesm17 » Jun Fri 11, 2010 5:51 am

Yup, I know some people who are leaving for their first ever trip to Disney next week and they were told they could change their booking up to three times in order to take advantage of the best deal. They are staying at Bay Lake Towers and chose the smallest plan of the Table Service dining plan. With their deal they got a $750 gift card to use on property. Someone in the know told them that that was the best promo out there, even better than the free Dining Plan.
amy, just out of curiousity, is this gft card just a vacation club deal, or is it a disney visa, or a wdw promo code. i may end up in wdw this fall after all, so i'd like to know where to look for deals. i use "magical journeys", and they're good, but many times i had to find the bonus, or better, deals myself. they're not to quick to bring 'em to your attention on their own. of course they're quick to incorporate it once you request it, but i'm sure they know about it befor i do, so why keep it a secret? as always, happy for your help... thanks.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Fri 11, 2010 7:13 am

nicklesm17 wrote:
amy, just out of curiousity, is this gft card just a vacation club deal, or is it a disney visa, or a wdw promo code. i may end up in wdw this fall after all, so i'd like to know where to look for deals. i use "magical journeys", and they're good, but many times i had to find the bonus, or better, deals myself. they're not to quick to bring 'em to your attention on their own. of course they're quick to incorporate it once you request it, but i'm sure they know about it befor i do, so why keep it a secret? as always, happy for your help... thanks.
I know they are not vacation club members, and I believe she said she just booked directly through Disney, so I think it was just a promo code.

Searlproudbottom

Post by Searlproudbottom » Jun Fri 11, 2010 9:31 am

How do you do?

October is our favorite time of the year to visit the World.

Last year in October we had a cold snap that went though and it was the first time I left my long pants at home. It was only for a couple of days and it warmed back up. So bring a least one set of warm cloths.

Also I have posted a link to my itinerary in excel. I have given it to a lot of people who really like it. If you know excel you can change it to fit your needs. If you don’t let me know and I will be happy to set it up for you.

Step 1 When the file down load box appears click save.
Step 2 Then save to your desk top.

http://www.xvart.com/Disney/DisneySchedule2009.xls

Hope you like it
Searl Proudbottom

greendoor678

Post by greendoor678 » Jun Fri 11, 2010 11:36 am

What a fun age for the kids to visit WDW! We will be there the same time!
I've always thought that purchasing Disney souvenir type items before the trip could save a lot of money. For example, buying some clearance tshirts or stuffed animals on Disneyshopping.com or another online source. Make a few grab-bags of souvenir type items. It may be a pain to pack those items for the trip though, depending on how you will be traveling to the World.
Has anyone ever purchased one time DVC accommodations through a 3rd party? I don't know anyone whose gone that route but just an idea.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Fri 11, 2010 3:28 pm

greendoor678 wrote:What a fun age for the kids to visit WDW! We will be there the same time!
I've always thought that purchasing Disney souvenir type items before the trip could save a lot of money. For example, buying some clearance tshirts or stuffed animals on Disneyshopping.com or another online source. Make a few grab-bags of souvenir type items. It may be a pain to pack those items for the trip though, depending on how you will be traveling to the World.
Has anyone ever purchased one time DVC accommodations through a 3rd party? I don't know anyone whose gone that route but just an idea.
That is a good idea ~ a few clearance shirts wouldn't take up any extra room since you could pack them for them to wear. Then you could buy just a few things that they really liked :D