If you could change one thing, or something at EPCOT

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18497
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: If you could change one thing, or something at EPCOT

Post by Amy » Jun Thu 03, 2010 6:42 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:
NaCler wrote:Egypt would be good, but tough. I'm sure they would want to build a pyramid and the Sphinx. Do they have enough room to add something that size??
And now for something completely different... when I was growing up I used to think that the Mexico Pavilion WAS Egypt! I guess it looked like a pyramid to me. So, I always called it Egypt. My family just laughed at me and it's still a running joke. "Hey, let's go get a margarita from Egypt!" They are so mean... :(
You were special....READ short bus!ImageLook it's a Mexican dancer!Image
Mexican dancer - good one Jacca!! :lol:

MoonPet
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Posts: 154
Joined: May Mon 17, 2010 8:29 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re:

Post by MoonPet » Jun Thu 03, 2010 7:12 pm

ExDisneyTech wrote:I agree.

It's not Ellen that I dislike, it's the attraction as a whole that is lacking and is desperately in need of a complete reconceptualization.

I miss the old preshow that was designed by Emil Radok with all the slide projectors and the cubes that went in and out. Nightmare to maintain, but amazing to watch.

Anyone remember that?
YES!
That preshow was great!

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler
Posts: 5382
Joined: Apr Fri 17, 2009 11:30 pm
Location: The land of cheese and beer...

Re: If you could change one thing, or something at EPCOT

Post by MmeLeota » Jun Thu 03, 2010 7:20 pm

NaCler wrote:And now for something completely different... when I was growing up I used to think that the Mexico Pavilion WAS Egypt! I guess it looked like a pyramid to me. So, I always called it Egypt. My family just laughed at me and it's still a running joke. "Hey, let's go get a margarita from Egypt!" They are so mean...
Too funny NaCler!!! That sounds like something I would have said and my parents would be forever holding it over my head as well...
(p.s. who's in the running to win upperclass twit of the year? ;))

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Posts: 2975
Joined: Feb Tue 16, 2010 7:38 am
Location: EXACTLY 160 miles away from the MOUSE

Re: If you could change one thing, or something at EPCOT

Post by NaCler » Jun Fri 04, 2010 6:47 am

MmeLeota wrote:(p.s. who's in the running to win upperclass twit of the year? ;))
I would always say that title would go to my sister... :wink:
I'm more middle-class. :D

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 6842
Joined: Jun Sun 25, 2006 12:11 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tn
Contact:

Re: Re:

Post by Jacca5660 » Jun Fri 04, 2010 7:01 am

MoonPet wrote:
ExDisneyTech wrote:I agree.

It's not Ellen that I dislike, it's the attraction as a whole that is lacking and is desperately in need of a complete reconceptualization.

I miss the old preshow that was designed by Emil Radok with all the slide projectors and the cubes that went in and out. Nightmare to maintain, but amazing to watch.

Anyone remember that?
YES!
That preshow was great!

At that time that was one of the most technically advanced things at Disney!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler
Posts: 5382
Joined: Apr Fri 17, 2009 11:30 pm
Location: The land of cheese and beer...

Re: If you could change one thing, or something at EPCOT

Post by MmeLeota » Jun Fri 04, 2010 7:34 pm

NaCler wrote:
MmeLeota wrote:(p.s. who's in the running to win upperclass twit of the year? ;))
I would always say that title would go to my sister... :wink:
I'm more middle-class. :D
:lol: I love it!!! It sounds like you guys all have a blast together!
Jacca5660 wrote:At that time that was one of the most technically advanced things at Disney!
That preshow impressed me so much at 13 y/o that I couldn't stop talking about it! I was so sad to see it go! Oh well, that's what YouTube is for! :D
I'd like to see Disney use this technology again for some other preshow in the future...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18497
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: If you could change one thing, or something at EPCOT

Post by Amy » Jun Fri 04, 2010 8:26 pm

MmeLeota wrote:
Jacca5660 wrote:At that time that was one of the most technically advanced things at Disney!
That preshow impressed me so much at 13 y/o that I couldn't stop talking about it! I was so sad to see it go! Oh well, that's what YouTube is for! :D
I'd like to see Disney use this technology again for some other preshow in the future...
That was an awesome preshow at UOE, I would guess that it was very expensive to maintain though - that is a lot of moving parts that require a lot of precision timing...

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler
Posts: 5382
Joined: Apr Fri 17, 2009 11:30 pm
Location: The land of cheese and beer...

Re: If you could change one thing, or something at EPCOT

Post by MmeLeota » Jun Sat 05, 2010 2:12 pm

Amy wrote:
MmeLeota wrote:
Jacca5660 wrote:At that time that was one of the most technically advanced things at Disney!
That preshow impressed me so much at 13 y/o that I couldn't stop talking about it! I was so sad to see it go! Oh well, that's what YouTube is for! :D
I'd like to see Disney use this technology again for some other preshow in the future...
That was an awesome preshow at UOE, I would guess that it was very expensive to maintain though - that is a lot of moving parts that require a lot of precision timing...
I agree. I'm guessing that was part of the reason why it was scrapped. However, that was quite some time ago and perhaps there is a better and cheaper technology to maintain out there that would give the same effect. Who knows? I am by no means any kind of engineer or techincal person...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18497
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: If you could change one thing, or something at EPCOT

Post by Amy » Jun Sat 05, 2010 9:42 pm

MmeLeota wrote:
Amy wrote:That was an awesome preshow at UOE, I would guess that it was very expensive to maintain though - that is a lot of moving parts that require a lot of precision timing...
I agree. I'm guessing that was part of the reason why it was scrapped. However, that was quite some time ago and perhaps there is a better and cheaper technology to maintain out there that would give the same effect. Who knows? I am by no means any kind of engineer or techincal person...
Well, me thinks there are some engineers on this here site - oh engineers...thoughts?! (I'd ask my engineer brother but he says "Disney - meh" :(
EDIT: Hold on, I actually just sent an email to my engineering brother in Cali, thought I would give him a chance to redeem himself over the Disney faux pas...

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 6842
Joined: Jun Sun 25, 2006 12:11 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tn
Contact:

Re: If you could change one thing, or something at EPCOT

Post by Jacca5660 » Jun Mon 07, 2010 8:12 am

Your brother drives the train?ImageImage
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Chernabog
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Posts: 256
Joined: Apr Tue 15, 2008 1:44 pm

Re: If you could change one thing, or something at EPCOT

Post by Chernabog » Jun Mon 07, 2010 1:26 pm

I would just like Disney to improve what already exsists, for starters. Do SOMETHING with the Wonders of Life Pavillion, & bring back Cranium Command!!

Open up the restaraunt that sits between FW & WS already. I have many ideas for a theme but I'm sure if it is at least decent it will fill up & they will make their money.

Put more of an effort into Innoventions. It is borderline WDW caliber, at best. Great idea of what it is suppose to be, and what it was, but it has slipped greatly. (More like tumbled.) And bring back the house of the future! Close East & improve West, when that gets old/dated, close West & open East w/new stuff, etc.

Update/speed up Ellen's U of E. The Ellen part is fine, the ride is toooooo long & pretty dated. Speed up the rolling theatre a bit and throw a bit o' Imagineering at it. It could be a very cool attraction w/a few tweaks.

Fix TT so you have a better than 44% chance of getting all the way thru w/o a stop!

I didn't know HISTA was gone, bummer, I liked that one. We are going in the Fall and I was planning to take my kids on, would have been the 1st time for my daughter & I doubt my son remembers it well. Even tho Cap EO is temp, it is kinda lame. But that Pavilion does need an overhaul.

Add some sort of attraction to the countries that do not have one. You could even add a 'Soarin' Over America' to the American Pavillion. (Yes I know they already have an attraction but people love Soarin', so have another one w/a different theme. Why not!?!)
Update the uniforms! I'm sorry, but it is time.

Time to update Illuminations too. Yea yea I know, it is great, but make a few changes and it becomes new & great!

That's all I got off the top of my head.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18497
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: If you could change one thing, or something at EPCOT

Post by Amy » Jun Mon 07, 2010 8:16 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:Your brother drives the train?ImageImage
Oh, ha-ha! :roll: Nope, he is an electronics engineer...for what it is worth, here is his opinion of the Radok UOE pre-show and it's feasibility of being restored that I asked him about...
I’m sure modern technology would be up to the challenge but whether any of the original film and sequencing information has survived is another story altogether. It is only 100 tiles so it would only require a decent motor and feedback loop to make it very reliable. I’m surprised they had as many issues as they did back then. It really isn’t that difficult by today’s standards anyway.

FWIW, I’m available to run the reconstruction project. Oh, it’s true, I’m wicked expensive, but I’m worth it!
I like his optimism and he probably could get the silly thing to work without any problems. Hello Disney people...are you out there?!

wdwparksgal
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Posts: 30
Joined: Mar Sun 21, 2010 12:50 am
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Re: If you could change one thing, or something at EPCOT

Post by wdwparksgal » Jun Tue 08, 2010 10:52 pm

Oh, that can be a long answer. I miss the breakfast place, too, and I wish there was still a restaurant on the pathway from Test Track to World Showcase. It was a good place to eat and missed by those of us who had a clue phone and knew to walk over there for lunch.

I want Dreamfinder back! Figment in full form! The second level of The Imagination Play Area! That pavilion has been way too messed up.

I want Mickey's hand and the wand back on Spaceship Earth! And I'm not crazy how the inside ride was changed. I got nauseous on the way down when on the ride last. The video was funny with our heads popping up and down but for some reason watching it just made me ill. I miss the lighted city that sparkled with green lights.

I want to be able to see Cranium Command again! What in the world will Disney ever do with "The Wonders of Life" Pavilion? What a waste of space and money to let it sit empty.

The Viking Ship Play Area needs to be rebuilt. There isn't a whole lot for little kids to do in World Showcase and it was an awesome place for them to play. My perception is that Disney didn't want to spend money on refurbishment and didn't want additional liability in case someone got hurt.

Last year I heard the Christmas pathway lights weren't put up. That could be a way Disney cut back costs in a time of world recession.

So sorry..... that was more than "one thing".
Walt Disney World. Home away from Home.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 10954
Joined: Sep Sun 06, 2009 8:53 am
Location: 76 Totters Lane

Re: If you could change one thing, or something at EPCOT

Post by mindflipper » Jun Wed 09, 2010 12:14 pm

wdwparksgal wrote:I want Dreamfinder back! Figment in full form! The second level of The Imagination Play Area! That pavilion has been way too messed up.
I agree on that!
wdwparksgal wrote:I want Mickey's hand and the wand back on Spaceship Earth!
You're in a very small minority on that! Most people at this thread would strongly disagree with on that one:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6375&start=45
wdwparksgal wrote:I want to be able to see Cranium Command again! What in the world will Disney ever do with "The Wonders of Life" Pavilion? What a waste of space and money to let it sit empty.
I think most people in this thread agree the WoL is being wasted. Just like the Odyssey Restaurant.

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Posts: 2975
Joined: Feb Tue 16, 2010 7:38 am
Location: EXACTLY 160 miles away from the MOUSE

Re: If you could change one thing, or something at EPCOT

Post by NaCler » Jun Wed 09, 2010 1:22 pm

Have they ever said why they haven't done anything with the Odyssey Restaurant? It's been down as long as I can remember.

Post Reply