2011 WDW Marathon Weekend

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Locked
Joe90
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Posts: 625
Joined: Jul Sat 21, 2007 5:49 am
Location: I'm right here.

Re: 2011 WDW Marathon Weekend

Post by Joe90 » Oct Sun 24, 2010 5:21 am

Jacca5660 wrote:Please no picture of you in your Two piece!!
:lol: Deal !

PopCentury2007
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Posts: 177
Joined: Dec Thu 14, 2006 10:25 am

Re: 2011 WDW Marathon Weekend

Post by PopCentury2007 » Nov Thu 11, 2010 8:43 am

Ok, gut check, Mindy and I have been training for the past two months preparing for the half (our first). We've been doing P90X replacing all the cardio dvds with running at the local college's cross country track. We're doing a little over an 8K (about 6 miles) three times a week. Over the next couple of weeks we're bumping up the running moderately. Unfortunately with the time change, it gets dark here in Charlotte around 6. So our main run days are on the weekends. All in all, the training is going well and hope everyone else is doing well in their preparations for Marathon Weekend!
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18489
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: 2011 WDW Marathon Weekend

Post by Amy » Nov Thu 11, 2010 9:48 am

PopCentury2007 wrote:Ok, gut check, Mindy and I have been training for the past two months preparing for the half (our first). We've been doing P90X replacing all the cardio dvds with running at the local college's cross country track. We're doing a little over an 8K (about 6 miles) three times a week. Over the next couple of weeks we're bumping up the running moderately. Unfortunately with the time change, it gets dark here in Charlotte around 6. So our main run days are on the weekends. All in all, the training is going well and hope everyone else is doing well in their preparations for Marathon Weekend!
Congratulations! Sounds like you two are well on your way to a successful half :goofy_bounce:

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Posts: 2744
Joined: Apr Mon 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: 2011 WDW Marathon Weekend

Post by theBIGyowski » Nov Thu 11, 2010 10:33 am

If you can run 8 miles...you can run 13. It's all mental past the 8 mile mark.

My advice to you is to really enjoy and relax the first 6-7 miles. Once you pass the 8 mile mark...the next two miles will be tough but doable. After the 10 mile mark all you have left is a 5k...which mentally is a piece of cake to someone who can run as far as you can. Once you get past the 11.75 mile point you will be able to see Epcot and know you are very close to being done. The last mile of the race is a blast and most of your pain and fatigue will be replaced with excitement.

One thing I always do in my half marathons is count my miles going up until I get to the 8 mile marker...then I start counting down. So...1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8(5)-4-3-2-1-DONE. This way I never psyche myself out by thinking, "I've gone 3 miles and now I have 10 more to go." Once you go 8 miles...and you know you only have 5 left...it seems much easier because 5 is much less than 8 in your head.

I am hoping to do the WDW Half again or the whole shebang someday...it's so much fun and just filled with that Disney Magic!
Image

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler
Posts: 5143
Joined: Sep Sun 02, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: Valparaiso IN

Re: 2011 WDW Marathon Weekend

Post by boilerbabe » Nov Fri 19, 2010 9:05 pm

I like to count down my miles backwards ie. 13, 12, 11, 9, 8, 7 etc....

The last longer race we did, the Mackinac Island 8 miler, the mile markers were on the ground in chalk for you and last mile said "1 MO", that was motivation right there!

We hope to run the Disney 1/2 again someday! Good luck to all of those that are running! ENJOY!
Image
Image

withspirit
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Posts: 192
Joined: Mar Mon 16, 2009 3:48 pm
Location: aboard the TARDIS, enroute to Disney World

Re: 2011 WDW Marathon Weekend

Post by withspirit » Nov Wed 24, 2010 9:23 am

My DW and I did the first "Wine and Dine" Half-Marathon in October. She had a birthday during the run, at about mile 8! The run started at 10 pm and the Food and Wine festival stayed open until 3 am for us runners. She got a "Happy Birthday" solo from me (the out-of-breath version). We didn't have a "great" time, but we had fun and finished - and got a free drink and entree from the F&W also!

We ate at Via Napoli the day after the race. This was the best pizza I have ever had! :D We now have two reservations there, in the same trip, in January.

I am now in (deep) training for the Marathon in January. We did a 16 mile run last Sunday. We have 8 this weekend and 18 next weekend. :shock:
No really, see? It's a screwdriver and it's... sonic
The Doctor
Image

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18489
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: 2011 WDW Marathon Weekend

Post by Amy » Nov Wed 24, 2010 11:10 am

withspirit wrote:My DW and I did the first "Wine and Dine" Half-Marathon in October. She had a birthday during the run, at about mile 8! The run started at 10 pm and the Food and Wine festival stayed open until 3 am for us runners. She got a "Happy Birthday" solo from me (the out-of-breath version). We didn't have a "great" time, but we had fun and finished - and got a free drink and entree from the F&W also!
We ate at Via Napoli the day after the race. This was the best pizza I have ever had! :D We now have two reservations there, in the same trip, in January.
I am now in (deep) training for the Marathon in January. We did a 16 mile run last Sunday. We have 8 this weekend and 18 next weekend. :shock:
How fun to be celebrating your birthday at WDW during a 1/2 marathon! I'm guessing it was more comfortable running in Florida in the evening hours too :D
Keep up the good work training ~ it will pay off in January!

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 6842
Joined: Jun Sun 25, 2006 12:11 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tn
Contact:

Re: 2011 WDW Marathon Weekend

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Mon 29, 2010 6:09 pm

withspirit wrote:My DW and I did the first "Wine and Dine" Half-Marathon in October. She had a birthday during the run, at about mile 8! The run started at 10 pm and the Food and Wine festival stayed open until 3 am for us runners. She got a "Happy Birthday" solo from me (the out-of-breath version). We didn't have a "great" time, but we had fun and finished - and got a free drink and entree from the F&W also!

We ate at Via Napoli the day after the race. This was the best pizza I have ever had! :D We now have two reservations there, in the same trip, in January.

I am now in (deep) training for the Marathon in January. We did a 16 mile run last Sunday. We have 8 this weekend and 18 next weekend. :shock:
I love the Tardis icon!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler
Posts: 5143
Joined: Sep Sun 02, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: Valparaiso IN

Re: 2011 WDW Marathon Weekend

Post by boilerbabe » Nov Tue 30, 2010 11:21 am

I'm gathering my troops and we're trying to aim for the 2012 Marathon Weekend! I want another Duck, so does my dad! My cousin wants to do the Goofy! We're planning on signing up when registration opens and just make it happen!

I know it's a ways off, but anyone planning for 2012?! I was looking at the web site for the race, and so much has changed since '05. WOW! I can't wait! 8-)
Image
Image

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Posts: 2744
Joined: Apr Mon 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: 2011 WDW Marathon Weekend

Post by theBIGyowski » Nov Tue 30, 2010 2:52 pm

boilerbabe wrote:I'm gathering my troops and we're trying to aim for the 2012 Marathon Weekend! I want another Duck, so does my dad! My cousin wants to do the Goofy! We're planning on signing up when registration opens and just make it happen!

I know it's a ways off, but anyone planning for 2012?! I was looking at the web site for the race, and so much has changed since '05. WOW! I can't wait! 8-)
I really hope I can run the Marathon in 2012. I've never run anything over a Half...but I know that if there is one Marathon that I could do it would be WDW.

I am planning on doing a Half here in my hometown in February...so hopefully I can springboard off of that and start training for the full marathon after that. Most of it will depend on DW and if she is still teaching and if we are expecting or not at the time. Regardless...it would be fun to have something special for us Subsonic Runners.
Image

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler
Posts: 5143
Joined: Sep Sun 02, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: Valparaiso IN

Re: 2011 WDW Marathon Weekend

Post by boilerbabe » Nov Tue 30, 2010 10:44 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:
boilerbabe wrote:I'm gathering my troops and we're trying to aim for the 2012 Marathon Weekend! I want another Duck, so does my dad! My cousin wants to do the Goofy! We're planning on signing up when registration opens and just make it happen!

I know it's a ways off, but anyone planning for 2012?! I was looking at the web site for the race, and so much has changed since '05. WOW! I can't wait! 8-)
I really hope I can run the Marathon in 2012. I've never run anything over a Half...but I know that if there is one Marathon that I could do it would be WDW.

I am planning on doing a Half here in my hometown in February...so hopefully I can springboard off of that and start training for the full marathon after that. Most of it will depend on DW and if she is still teaching and if we are expecting or not at the time. Regardless...it would be fun to have something special for us Subsonic Runners.
I know my limitations, and a full is just in the cards for me! I would be happy with another Duck, that's for sure! :D But, good luck to you with your Feb. 1/2 and you can def. build on that platform and train for a full! Blessings to you and your DW, if are expecting at that time, if not, hope to see you at the 2012 Marathon Weekend!!!
Image
Image

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Posts: 410
Joined: Feb Tue 05, 2008 10:18 am
Location: Mount Holly, NC

Re: 2011 WDW Marathon Weekend

Post by cccmouse » Dec Wed 08, 2010 10:02 am

OK. Official (or unofficial) roll call time. Who all is a definite for any of the 2011 Marathon Weekend events? I am running in the 1/2 marathon on Sat the 8th. My wife and I will be flying in on Thurs the 6th and staying at the WL thru Tues the 11th. I am also planning to get up Sun AM to see the start of the full marathon. We also have tickets for the "pasta in the park" dinner on Thurs. I am still undecided about forking over the money for the "race retreat'. If the weather is nice I will wish I hadn't. If the weather is bad I will wish that I had. Any thoughts from those who have or haven't done this?

Joe90
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Posts: 625
Joined: Jul Sat 21, 2007 5:49 am
Location: I'm right here.

Re: 2011 WDW Marathon Weekend

Post by Joe90 » Dec Sat 11, 2010 8:08 am

Bib No 3355 for the Marathon, 22285 for the half.

Yep. I'm all in for the Goofy challenge 2011 :goofy_bounce:

I think the Race Retreat is a gamble as well. It is very $$ expensive $$ for a seat (perhaps) in a tent. Double expensive if you are a Goofy runner. If you are coming by car then you could just sit in that. I have not payed out for the RR yet, I'm gonna keep an eye on the weather forecast and decide closer to the event what I'm going to do. You can buy a whole bunch of nice warm clothing for the same $$ as the entry price to the RR.
"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. " Carl Sagan

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18489
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: 2011 WDW Marathon Weekend

Post by Amy » Dec Thu 16, 2010 9:18 pm

Joe90 wrote:Bib No 3355 for the Marathon, 22285 for the half.

Yep. I'm all in for the Goofy challenge 2011 :goofy_bounce:

I think the Race Retreat is a gamble as well. It is very $$ expensive $$ for a seat (perhaps) in a tent. Double expensive if you are a Goofy runner. If you are coming by car then you could just sit in that. I have not payed out for the RR yet, I'm gonna keep an eye on the weather forecast and decide closer to the event what I'm going to do. You can buy a whole bunch of nice warm clothing for the same $$ as the entry price to the RR.
Congrats on doing the Goofy! How much money are they charging for the RR? Does it include anything as far as treats, drinks and snacks, or is it just a place to rest out of the elements?

Joe90
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Posts: 625
Joined: Jul Sat 21, 2007 5:49 am
Location: I'm right here.

Re: 2011 WDW Marathon Weekend

Post by Joe90 » Dec Sat 18, 2010 10:44 am

Amy wrote: How much money are they charging for the RR? Does it include anything as far as treats, drinks and snacks, or is it just a place to rest out of the elements?
A continental breakfast will be is available before the race from 3:00 a.m. – 5:30 a.m. The breakfast includes bagels with peanut butter, butter and jellies, whole oranges, and bananas. Hot beverages (coffee, tea, cocoa) are provided as are PowerAde and Dasani water. Yum Yum. At 3am blea :(

You also get a private bag drop (or a slightly more private bag drop) and a stretching area. In case you are to small and need stretching :)

It also gives you somewhere to pass out, in relative comfort, after the race.

Cost to you Half Marathon $85, Marathon $105 or the Goofy $175. :shock:

Check it out

http://adisneyworldsports.disney.go.com ... eatWDW.pdf
"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. " Carl Sagan

Locked