2011 WDW Marathon Weekend

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

PopCentury2007
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

2011 WDW Marathon Weekend

Post by PopCentury2007 » Jan Mon 25, 2010 1:40 pm

Well, Mindy and I took the plunge and decided to sign-up for the half-marathon at WDW for the 2011 Marathon Weekend. I wanted to post to see if any other Subsonic'ers had plans on participating or planned on being in WDW for the event. I also wanted to ask if anyone has participated in the past to see if you'd share your experience. We've listened to a few podcasts and the entire weekend seems like a great time for those that actually run or spectate. I'm sure it will add to the list of great experiences we've had while in WDW!
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Mon 25, 2010 3:26 pm

It's awesome! You will have a blast. I ran it in '08 and '09. The only advice I can give you is to be prepared for any and all weather. It has been 70 degrees before and this year it was below freezing. One thing I love about the Half is that it's not too far but it is far enough for you to feel a sense of great accomplishment.

I wish I could run it every year, but my fiance (soon to be DW) is a teacher. The WDW Marathon weekend is always after she goes back to school. So, I don't see us going down there until she becomes a stay-at-home mom. That will most likely be several years down the road.

The only downside to the whole thing is that you are worn out at the end...then you walk around the parks for the next several days. So, be warned that you will need plenty of rest at night and you'll need to take breaks walking around the parks. You will love it though...it's all about that giant Donald/Mickey/Goofy medal in the end.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Jan Mon 25, 2010 3:37 pm

Pop,

Check out this thread from this year's marathon......

viewtopic.php?t=5961

I went down to cheer on a couple of friends. It was freezing this year! But still a blast! They did the 1/2 and full. I just stood around and drank coffee and then beer.

I'm hoping to be there next year as well.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jan Mon 25, 2010 11:51 pm

We did the Disney 1/2 in '05 and it is the most amazing running experience I've ever had! I've been running for alot of years and this is the race I hope to run again someday, it's my ultimate goal. I work in fitness and it's pretty difficult for me to take vacation in Jan. that is our busiest time of year! I'm also recovering from an injury, so to sign up for a 1/2 at this time, would not be smart.

BUT, to those of that plan to go, good luck to you and during your training! I'm sure this event has changed over the years, but to RUN Disney, is something to be experienced. And like theBIGyowski said, it's all about that big Donald/Mickey/Goofy medal at that finish line. Be prepared for the weather, train properly, hydrate during the race and ENJOY!!!! :D

aboden
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by aboden » Jan Tue 26, 2010 10:17 am

Me and my brother hope to run it as well, I ran the Taste for the Race this last year. He wants to shot for the full or half. I know a year time frame is still going to be close for training for it.
"Please stand clear of the doors/Por favor mantengan se alejado de las puertas"

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jan Tue 26, 2010 10:38 am

aboden wrote:Me and my brother hope to run it as well, I ran the Taste for the Race this last year. He wants to shot for the full or half. I know a year time frame is still going to be close for training for it.
If you start training now, you should be fine for either the 1/2 or the full. If you're not 100% sure how to train you should be able to find a program online. Good luck!

PopCentury2007

Post by PopCentury2007 » Jan Wed 27, 2010 8:14 am

Thx everyone for the input and KCart for posting this year's link. Min and I started working out with a program called P90X. We did it last year and the results were amazing. We plan on doing the 'X' until our WDW trip in May. Once we get back, we're going to start our training for the marathon. Should be fun....as long as we can stay motivated.

As for the race itself, amazing that Florida had such inclement weather even in January. We're obviously hoping for clear skies, but running in the rain isn't all that bad. Just really looking forward to the experience. Although I imagine walking the parks afterwards will be a challenge, but walking it with the Donald medal I'm sure will kill all the soreness. :lol:

For those that already plan on going, lets keep this going to see how are training is progressing. :mickey:
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Wed 27, 2010 9:29 am

That's awesome that you did P90X! I did that prior to running the 2008 Music City Half Marathon in Nashville, TN. I did not run at all as part of my training...and I ended up running a personal best! Of course, my recovery was agony because my body wasn't used to running 13 miles at once, but the race itself was much easier to run.

It will be the little things that hurt over the next few days when you walk around the parks. Worst thing for me were my feet...they were worn out from the race...then walking around the parks just made it that much worse. I'd do it all over again though in a heartbeat!

mindy0509
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by mindy0509 » Jan Thu 28, 2010 8:38 am

P90X is definitely a great workout! Probably the most difficult workout program I have ever followed but it is great to have someone to do it with (PopCentury). I think the 1/2 marathon is going to be a great "Disney" experience. We have been visiting the "World" at least once a year for the past 5 years and are always looking for ways to plus the experience. I am looking forward to doing this race. :) Does anyone know if the Christmas decorations are still up for marathon weekend?

Mindy (PopCentury2007's wife :D )

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Thu 28, 2010 8:54 am

Hi Mindy...there will still be some decorations left up, but not many. I know my resort (POFQ) still had decorations up. DHS still had the Osborne lights strung up but not sure if they were on at night. I want to say most of the decorations are down, but you will probably see a few here and there at the beginning of your trip.

If you can, make sure you bring a camera with you during the race so you can get pictures. They are so much fun to look through when you get home. They will chronicle your journey from start to finish and it's fun seeing it start in the dark of night and watch the sun come up as the pictures progress. Oh yeah...the mile markers are cool too. :D

kcarts

Post by kcarts » Jan Thu 28, 2010 9:36 am

PopCentury2007 wrote:For those that already plan on going, lets keep this going to see how are training is progressing. :mickey:
Good idea! Since I am only a spectator I will let you know how my training goes vis-a-vis bending the elbow! I had a less than impressive showing this year. I will work toward upping my comsumption of food and beer going into 2011.

Wish me luck!
Last edited by kcarts on Jan Sat 30, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

withspirit

Post by withspirit » Jan Thu 28, 2010 11:42 am

Way to go, Pop!

I did the Half this year and I am still deciding what to do about the Full. My Wife was a Goofy finisher this year! She is waiting on me to commit to the Full or another Half.

Decisions, decisions ...

KCarts, thanks for the cheering this year, and bend that elbow once for me! :wink:
No really, see? It's a screwdriver and it's... sonic
The Doctor

Mamabaminjamin

Post by Mamabaminjamin » Jan Thu 28, 2010 11:49 am

OK is there something shorter for us Non-runners. My intrest has been peaked but I have not one to run with.

withspirit

Post by withspirit » Jan Thu 28, 2010 12:46 pm

Mamabaminjamin wrote:OK is there something shorter for us Non-runners. My intrest has been peaked but I have not one to run with.
Yes! There is a 5K (just over 3 miles) race on the same weekend. The medals aren't as fancy, but it is an accomplishment just the same.

BTW - be careful! this is the way I started!
No really, see? It's a screwdriver and it's... sonic
The Doctor

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jan Fri 29, 2010 12:11 am

Mamabaminjamin wrote:OK is there something shorter for us Non-runners. My intrest has been peaked but I have not one to run with.
Yes, like withspirit stated, you can do the 5K (3.1 miles) and there are also other race weekends at Disney! You can go to Disney's web site and look for the "endurance series" it should list all races going on throughout the year!