World Showcase vs. The Real Country

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

PureDisney
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by PureDisney » Aug Tue 11, 2009 9:01 am

I have never eaten in the Italian pavilion, but the food in Italy is terrific. I love the Rose and Crown pub and I'd put it on par with pubs in England. Though I wish they had a Plougman's lunch.

missynole

Post by missynole » Aug Tue 11, 2009 10:03 am

PureDisney wrote:I have never eaten in the Italian pavilion, but the food in Italy is terrific. I love the Rose and Crown pub and I'd put it on par with pubs in England. Though I wish they had a Plougman's lunch.
Ok PureDisney - you've got me curious. What is a Plougman's lunch?

ronatie
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by ronatie » Aug Sat 15, 2009 4:35 am

From Wikipedia:

A ploughman's lunch (often just called a ploughman's) is a cold snack or meal originating in the United Kingdom, comprising at a minimum of cheese (usually a thick piece of Cheddar, Stilton, or other local cheese), pickle (called "relish" outside the UK), such as that made by Branston, bread (especially crusty bread, which may be a chunk from a loaf or a bap), and butter[1]. It is often accompanied by a green salad; other common additions are half an apple, celery, pâté, crisps, diced hard boiled egg or beetroot.

The origins of the ploughman's lunch remain unclear. It appears to date back at least to the 1960s, when the Milk Marketing Board promoted the meal nationally to boost sales of cheese, and some investigations have concluded that the meal is nothing more than marketing. However, other sources suggest that a comparable meal has been called a ploughman's lunch at least from 1957, the meal itself may have been popular at least as far back as before World War II, though it may have been called a ploughboy's lunch.

It is a common menu item in English pubs. It is considered a cultural icon of England[2]. The familiarity of the ploughman's lunch has led catering companies to describe a sandwich containing Cheddar cheese, pickle and salad as a "ploughman's sandwich"

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Aug Fri 21, 2009 9:45 pm

MmeLeota wrote:Thank you for the clarification Dis...

I agree about trying to fit all of the aspects of each country into a small pavilion. But I still love it!

What part of Canada are you from?
Southern Ontario. No totem poles in Toronto. ;) Actually, nothing about the pavilion reminds me of Toronto. I always found it a bit strange that they ignored the biggest city in the country, but then most big cities around the world pretty much look alike nowadays, so maybe it makes more sense than it seems. I imagine that's how they landed on the caricature approach; hard to tell current downtown Toronto from current Manhattan from downtown Tokyo... lots easier if you pick remote Northern BC and 1800's Philadelphia and the Edo period.

That ploughman's lunch thing is making me hungry.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

disneylizzy
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylizzy » Aug Sat 22, 2009 12:47 pm

Been to France, Italy, Mexico, Canada and Germany...like OP's have said World Showcase is a little taste of the country with the most kitschy parts thrown in.

I would say the most authentic is Germany...those buildings take me back to a little place called Rothenburg - very "disneyesque" town in Germany. Just type in "Rothenburg" to Google and look at the image results, you'll see what I mean.

Joe90
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Joe90 » Aug Sat 22, 2009 1:13 pm

France

Well it's more of a "Paris" pavilion.
No hints of the Alps or pyrenees, the Riviera or Mont Saint-Michel, none of the stately homes and castles.
But with such limited space and such a large country they have captured a distinctly French essence.

I think it is actually quite a nice representation of parts of Paris.
The square gardens and water features all have that French flavor, plucked from a Monet picture.
Being next to the lake and the canal hints at the river Seine.
And I really like the Patisserie. nom nom :)

Of to Morocco next.
"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. " Carl Sagan

ronatie

Post by ronatie » Aug Tue 25, 2009 1:58 pm

Nicc513 wrote:
Is the American Adventure pavilion better than my experience as an American? Nope. Don't get me wrong, the AA attraction is my absolute favorite at WDW...gives me goosebumps and a lump in my throat every time. It's nice to help others learn the basics about our history and for us as Americans to celebrate those ideals, but it's not like getting out on the road and seeing the real America.

I totally agree with that. However what's good about it is that sometimes one experience can help shape the other. Once I was driving on a long road trip through the north east coast and I happened to have an Epcot CD on in my car. As I was driving through this great chunk of forest where it looked like some Revolutionary War Battles could've taken place, "America Spread your Golden Wings" came on. It was the perfect song to hear at that very moment. As if my life were a movie and that was the soundtrack.

Joe90

Post by Joe90 » Aug Sun 30, 2009 3:39 am

Morocco

Well the rest rooms in Epcot's Morocco are much MUCH cleaner than any I found in the real country (I wasn't staying in a tourist area, they are apparently first class in the better hotels.)

The architecture and decorations are very good facsimile of many Arabic countries. This area could have been called Jordan or Oman just as easily.

I'm not so sure about the food in the restaurant. It seems very Westernised. As a westerner myself I don't think this is a bad thing however for accuracy perhaps some Hard Core Arabic/Moroccan food would be more educational, if that's the right word.

Japan
One of my favorite pavilions at Epcot.
No comments. I haven't been to the real country. :( Yet :)
"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. " Carl Sagan

disneylizzy
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylizzy » Aug Mon 31, 2009 8:37 am

Joe90 wrote:Morocco

Well the rest rooms in Epcot's Morocco are much MUCH cleaner than any I found in the real country (I wasn't staying in a tourist area, they are apparently first class in the better hotels.)

The architecture and decorations are very good facsimile of many Arabic countries. This area could have been called Jordan or Oman just as easily.

I'm not so sure about the food in the restaurant. It seems very Westernised. As a westerner myself I don't think this is a bad thing however for accuracy perhaps some Hard Core Arabic/Moroccan food would be more educational, if that's the right word.
Lol!! I imagine that if it were true Moroccan food more guests would see the inside of those restrooms! :lol:

imaginationcelebration
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Location: Somewhere in a galaxy far, far, away from someplace else

Post by imaginationcelebration » Nov Fri 06, 2009 9:28 pm

Future Guy wrote:I've never been to Mexico, but the best Mexican food I've ever had was at a little restaurant called El Potro that was run by actual Mexican people. It beat the heck out of the San Angel Inn, even if I didn't get to eat in an elaborately themed Mexican courtyard area.
I've been to Mexico a few of times and I have to agree with you. The food at San Angel Inn wasn't anywhere near as good as in Mexico except the water, whatever you do don't drink real Mexican water, but you can't beat the dining atmosphere of the San Angel Inn and everything else about the pavilion beats the heck out of the real thing.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Fri 06, 2009 9:41 pm

I've been to Canada and I like EPCOT Canada better. It's a lot warmer in WDW in January. Ontario is freezing!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Nov Sat 07, 2009 4:26 pm

I have been to Canada and agree with an earlier poster who said that the WS version is modeled more after Western Canada than an any other part.

My DW has been to England twice and says that the WS version is a fairly accurate representation of what she saw there, but again, as everyone says, you can't condense a whole country into one small display, so what you end up with is only naturally going to be somewhat of a caricature of the real thing. But yes, definitely cleaner. :mrgreen: She says the food is a toss up. The Rose and Crown has some of the best fish and chips we have ever eaten, and is actually better than most of what she had over there. And she says that a lot of the places she ate at in London and surrounding areas were just not good at all. Very bland, and she says it seems like they boil everything.

But I do have to say one thing about the Mexico pavilion: although it is charming and fun to visit, it does tend to over-stereotype things. And the food is an insult to real Mexican food. Everything tastes like it came out of a can from a Piggly Wiggly store in North Dakota. No offense to Piggly Wiggly or North Dakota.... :mrgreen:
Granted, I live in Houston, which is practically an annex of Mexico, so I am more accustomed to Tex-mex style Mexican food (and love it, by the way), which is more spicy than traditional authentic Mexican food from the interior (which tends to be a bit more bland). But still, I can say with certainty that the WS food is NOT Mexican food. I have traveled extensively in Mexico, from Cancun, to Mexico City, to Mazatlan, to the Texas border towns, and I know Mexican food. In my opinion, Disney was trying to cater to the stereotypical expectations of tourists who don't really know what real Mexican food tastes like.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Sat 07, 2009 5:31 pm

Mousekedude, I have known three people from the UK who all complained about the UK pavillion at EPCOT being a "distortion" of their country. They also complained about the menu at Rose & Crown not being truely representative of the food from their country. So, I guess it's a matter of perspective. Because, like your DW I had been to the UK more than once, and I too had thought it an accurate depiction until I heard from my UK friends.

Me, personally, I think Brit food is awful having been there several times, so I agree with your DW on that. I can't see how Brits eat that stuff. It was so bad, that I was always glad to go to France afterwards - starve in London, make up for it in Paris. So making the changes were the only way I think you could get Americans to eat it, but it then ruins the authenticity that makes the Brits disappointed.

And you're right about the food. It's not truely representational of the countries in many cases. Brits didn't think so of UK. You don't of Mexico. After they booted out Alfredo's Ristorante di Roma from Italy pavillion, its replacement Tutto Italia is over-priced cross between Olive Garden and Carrabba's. More trendy americanized than authentic Italian...

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Nov Sat 07, 2009 5:39 pm

You're right, Mindflipper.
But oh well, what are ya gonna do? Still gotta love the whole thing, don't we? :mrgreen:

keneka
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by keneka » Nov Tue 10, 2009 5:55 am

I think most of the pavillions are based on a concept of what people have of the countries rather than the real places. I come from England and the UK pavillion is more like something out of mary poppins that anywhere I have been. I think the imagineers have used iconic architecture that people automatically recognize. I have always been disappointed with the uk pavillion food and although the pub is a great place to view illuminations the food in no way resembles english food apart from the names used, I would much rather eat in Canada or Japan which sell excellent food. Saying that I love world showcase even if it's not authentic, I love visiting each country and in some cases it's cheaper than visiting the real places, everyone speaks english, everywhere is uber clean and the shopping and dining are excellent as a whole. :mrgreen: