What EPCOT refurb never should have happened?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

What ride/show should have been left alone?

Journey into Imagination (the original one) - Journey Into Your Imagination (both new institute incarnations)
38%
Universe of Energy - Ellen's Energy Adventure
3%
The Living Seas - The Seas with Nemo and Friends
6%
World of Motion - Test Track
5%
El Rio del Tiempo - Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros
7%
Kitchen Kabaret/Food Rocks - Soarin'
1%
Horizons - Mission: Space
14%
Wonders of Life - Big mostly unused building
19%
Communicore - Innoventions
1%
Magic Journies - Captain EO - Honey I Shrunk the Audience
3%
EPCOT Center - Epcot '94 - Epcot '95 - Epcot (ok, the name may not really matter)
3%

Total votes: 145

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jul Tue 22, 2008 4:37 pm

agingerbugg wrote:
Captain Schnemo wrote:whereas all the others are enough to make me want to punch Eisner in the groin.
Captain Schnemo, you are being far too kind. He deserves worse.

And I agree, there are too many on that list that I think shouldn't have been changed. It is a shame how far EPCOT has fallen, but I guess if you look at the numbers it can be justified. The park is busier now than I can ever remember it being.
Except for SOARIN and Ellen, I don't see any of these updates/makeovers being very good at all. The most dis(ney)appointing one wasn't mentioned in this poll, SSE!
As for Eisner, he should be dragged behind a test track car until Disney does a refub on it!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

jcodirewolf
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jcodirewolf » Jul Tue 22, 2008 5:57 pm

Funny for me it was quick and simple. Nemo, the pixarization (if that is a word) of Tomorrowland is bad enough for the cancer to spread to FutureWorld, that is just the worst thing ever.

Quickgold please don't take offense, but keep them in DHS. The studios just seemed perfect to me. I don't think I would mind a Wall-E walking around Tomorrowland, or even FutureWorld, I'm not about it not be fun. But they just don't match up with MY vision of what those spaces should be.

johno
[color=red]Updated![/color] For 2008 - [url=http://www.direwolf.com/Dreams/]Million Dreams Postcard Generator[/url]

DIAC1987
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by DIAC1987 » Jul Tue 22, 2008 6:39 pm

The Living Seas.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Tue 22, 2008 6:46 pm

I would have to say the Journey into Immagination. I like that they have the new one, but I really miss the old one a lot.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Jul Tue 22, 2008 7:05 pm

I think the hardest part for me is seeing all the changes lined up like this in a list. Very depressing when you think that virtually all of these happened in the last fifteen years.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Captain Schnemo
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by Captain Schnemo » Jul Tue 22, 2008 10:00 pm

horizons1 wrote:I think the hardest part for me is seeing all the changes lined up like this in a list.
You said it. It's the reason I don't really have any interest in going back to Epcot, except maybe to walk around and soak up the atmosphere that hasn't yet been killed off. Going in to see the attractions would just raise my blood pressure unnecessarily.

I still haven't voted, but based solely on the original question, as Beamer points out, I'm tempted to vote for either Imagination or the Living Seas, because those would both be presentable attractions in their old form (assuming due maintenance).

I feel like being pretty geeky (as if that's something new!), so I'm going to do a little math to analyze the largest gap between previous and existing incarnations...

Ranking the attraction on a sliding scale (10 for a home run attraction, 5 for abject neutrality, and 0 for an insulting turd), here's what I've come up with...

(The first line is the score for the original attraction, the second for the update.)

Imagination:
10 for a combination of perfect theming and solid entertainment/visuals, cool usage of tech in the play area (especially the kickass percussive floor room), and the genesis of a great character
0 for lame visuals, lack of fun, and a message that directly contrasts with the point of the entire pavilion (and Disney itself)

Difference: 10 out of 10. I think we might have our winner already.

Energy:
7 for the awesome dinosaur scene, and an earnest but boring and otherwise lacking examination of the issue
1 for neutering the best part, the replacement of lame films with aggressively annoying films, a continued lack of addressing the actual issue, and (the killer) the insulting celebration of stupidity and ignorance that flies in the face of Future World

Difference: 6. Bad, but not the worst.

Seas:
9 for brilliant theming, hard science, a great intro film, and the triumph of the aquarium itself. Doesn't get a 10 because the ride was pointless.
2 for stupidifying the experience and needless character creep. At least the ride is pleasant (although misplaced), Crush has cool tech (but is intellectually vacant), and they didn't nuke the aquarium.

Difference: 7. I guess this is sort of working, because I'm slightly angrier about the Seas.

Motion:
8 for a solid AA attraction that succeeds at all levels, plus an interesting and worthwhile collection of oddities at the end. Didn't soar, but didn't fail in any serious respect, except for the shameless promotion of the internal combustion engine in an otherwise entertaining show.
2 for a boring, brainless, and completely wrongheaded attraction. But it goes fast, so yay.

Difference: 6 again. This seems to be kinda-sorta working.

Mexico:
7 for loopy good fun, although not the most culturally respectful thing imaginable.
2 for pointless character creep, boring recycling of the plot point, excessive use of "screens", and (seemingly impossibly) an even more culturally insensitive tone. Some points left for saving the volcano scene.

Difference: 5. OK, I'll buy that.

Hmm...running out of steam (and spare time) to finish the list, but I'm posting what I've got so far for the sake of discussion. Also the amount of disgust I have for the various replacements is a bit fluid, so I am open to lobbying from anyone, including myself tomorrow when I re-read this.

Figment is far and away the leader and the best I can hope for is a tie, but I see at least one down the list that might give the same 10-0 split.

Admiral01
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Admiral01 » Jul Tue 22, 2008 10:09 pm

I was telling a friend recently how I would love to show them EPCOT of, say, 1995. Jeremy Irons was narrating SSE (I should have included the Irons - Dench update in my list), Figment was still cool, the Seas weren't Pixarized (excellent term), and everything seemed right by me.

Soarin' is cool. I miss KK, but Soarin' is a good ride. Test Trak and Mission: Space are cool, but they shouldn't have replaced the original rides, rather they should have found space to place them elsewhere in the park. I liked the original version of Mexico, and I do miss the original Universe of Energy, though I may be in the minority with that one...

I guess the last bullet, and I didn't mean it to be symbolic but it kinda is, really reflects the downward trend of EPCOT. I remember when everyone in the park knew the name was an acronym for "Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow." Innovation, technology, community, and the future were all excellent concepts.

It is nice, though, to see some of the most recent changes to the park. Seeing the original EPCOT logo pop back up on signs, the original Imagination logo re-appear on the building, and the talk of the realization that too many things have been dumbed down (from within Disney).

Now I am sorry for the long post. Thank you all who have been taking part in this poll. I will keep checking back.

SimonTemplar
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by SimonTemplar » Jul Fri 25, 2008 6:59 am

Horizons gets the nod. I can't stand a few of the other "refurbs", but taking Horizons completely out was a major downer for me. I like M:S, although I won't rate it a "can't miss" attraction for every visit.
"Here in Florida, we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland...the blessing of size. There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine." ~ Walt Disney

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Jul Fri 25, 2008 11:57 am

The park is busier now than I can ever remember it being.
Could this be to the fact that the rides are now quick on and quick off, so more people are actually walking around the park? Back then the rides had such a ride length, that it almost seemed like the number of people walking around the park could be equal to amount of people experiencing the attractions.

jd3921fl
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

The Land

Post by jd3921fl » Jul Fri 25, 2008 1:32 pm

Am I in the minority? I dont like the new and improved Land food court.

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Re: The Land

Post by agingerbugg » Jul Fri 25, 2008 1:34 pm

jd3921fl wrote:Am I in the minority? I dont like the new and improved Land food court.
You are not in the minority. I don't like the whole "new" atrium. The thing I miss the most is the fountain. I know it was large and took up space that could be used for something else (apparently condiments), but it gave the Land atmosphere.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat » Jul Fri 25, 2008 2:02 pm

Am I in the minority? I dont like the new and improved Land food court.
No... you're not in the minority. It looks like an airport food court. It hardly resembles anything having to do with fresh produce (like Farmer's Market). Even worse is the fact that it's now a traffic nightmare with the escaltors and enclosed eating areas with designated pathways. I think Soarin' should have gotten it's own entrance between the Land and Imagination to avoid all the Land's new congestion. They should at least direct traffic one way around the upper level to avoid all the human collisions at the top and bottoms of the staircases.

I guess they save money by not having the balloons going up and down also. :(

jd3921fl

Post by jd3921fl » Jul Fri 25, 2008 3:53 pm

I agree with you guys about the layout and line traffic etc, In addition, I dont like the food options LOL!

JWG

Post by JWG » Jul Fri 25, 2008 4:06 pm

The Land foodcourt got noticeably bad after Kraft went away. I've been very disappointed since it went to being a cafeteria for the most part.
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/HeathenAngel/Avatars%20Etc/epcot-fan.gif[/img][/url][url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w251/budz211/horizons.gif[/img][/url]
[img]http://www.disneypedia.org/_i/banners/bar/space-mountain2.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneypedia.org/_i/banners/bar/SR_fan.gif[/img]

jcodirewolf

Post by jcodirewolf » Jul Fri 25, 2008 5:22 pm

I have to say someone needs to look at the crowd flow up and down in the land. I can't think of another place on property that is a constant traffic jam.

johno
[color=red]Updated![/color] For 2008 - [url=http://www.direwolf.com/Dreams/]Million Dreams Postcard Generator[/url]