Inoventions, what happened?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Should Inoventions stay?

Yes, the way it is!
1
3%
Yes, only w/many updates!
23
70%
No, it's time has come and gone
9
27%
 
Total votes: 33

Chernabog
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Posts: 256
Joined: Apr Tue 15, 2008 1:44 pm

Inoventions, what happened?

Post by Chernabog » May Wed 28, 2008 9:29 am

Can anyone tell me why Inoventions went from this cool place to visit with an awesome home of the future today (which everything in it was available now), Segways, cool video games, etc. to a couple of buildings with weak exhibits and a lot of unused space?

BTW, that home of the Future Today (or whatever it was called) was the first time I saw HD TV. AWESOME! I remember a rocket launching and a close up of the grass at a baseball game! not to mention the awesome home theatre with terrific movies clips!!

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Posts: 1209
Joined: May Tue 29, 2007 2:42 pm
Location: Boston

Post by kcarts » May Wed 28, 2008 1:51 pm

I like innoventions (and not just as a way to cool off in AC). I think it should stay. I do think it needs to be a revolving exhibit in that they should keep it fresh. Much of the stuff is great but as the name of the exhibit is Innoventions, there are new innovations and inventions almost constantly and these should be high lighted in the exhibit. I hope that wasn't too confusing...

figment34786
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Posts: 95
Joined: Apr Sun 20, 2008 7:46 pm

Post by figment34786 » May Wed 28, 2008 2:54 pm

I forget Innoventions even exists most of the time... That shows you my impression of it! They should replace it or make it cooler.

Croaker
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Posts: 811
Joined: Jun Fri 23, 2006 4:46 pm

Post by Croaker » May Wed 28, 2008 3:54 pm

Who takes their kids to Disney to play video games? its like getting a third grade education. my kids get very bored in here and i refuse to let them play video games in Disney unless its at the arcade as a family. There is alot of fluff in Disney that i think is for Crowd Control. alot of the Fluff is very entertaining...but its truly fluff.

my definition of fluff is actually more of a filling in of the entire expierience. I label the barbarshop quartet as fluff, even though they are themed very nice and they sound awesome..what they do is lull the crowd so the lines for rides can even out. The Narnia Walk Through...laugh..i got done with that and all i could think was..."i wanted to see this?" the props, drawings and exhibit are very interesting...but to have it as an attraction? ah well...laugh perhaps i'll post a thread...the fluff of Disney
[img]http://www.oleole.es/main/web/images/manchester-united_banner.jpg[/img]

SWHorn
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Posts: 605
Joined: May Wed 09, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Post by SWHorn » May Wed 28, 2008 7:04 pm

I was going to say the same thing about video games at Disney, Croaker.

I think Innoventions is incredibly lame. Occasionally on a trip, we'll walk through there to see if they've put anything even remotely interesting. We end up pretty much walking right out.
No fear hath ye of evil curses, says you.
Arrrrrr.
Properly warned ye be, says I.

parkhopper26
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Posts: 74
Joined: Apr Sun 13, 2008 5:49 am

Post by parkhopper26 » May Wed 28, 2008 7:12 pm

I think it is a nice break to explore (especially if you have been to wdw a few times) but i agree that it could use an overhaul. there are major changes every year in technology but they don't seem to be reflected so much anymore within the exhibit. If they can't keep up mabye it's time for something new in the space

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover
Posts: 1487
Joined: Mar Sat 31, 2007 1:56 am
Location: The lost city of Atlanta

Post by DisBeamer » May Wed 28, 2008 8:55 pm

I miss that Future Home; it had a lot of the furniture we have/had from Ikea. My desk was the desk of the future. I was ahead of the curve. :lol:

I don't mind if it stays. If they could redirect it to more of what I believe the original idea was - innovative inventions - then I might even go in there sometimes. I remember back in the day there used to be some interesting things to look at; I don't really see why they couldn't do that again if they wanted to spend the money to do it. If not, at least it's a nice air conditioned shortcut.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Posts: 1399
Joined: Dec Fri 02, 2005 9:44 pm
Location: Cheshire, CT

Post by Cheshire Cat » May Wed 28, 2008 9:01 pm

Innoventions used to be interesting, and more inportantly futuristic. Then came the great epcot decline of 1999 (the nail in the EPCOT Center coffin) and with it "The Road to Tomorrow" Innoventions refurb. The pavilion was worthless after that. Disney sometimes forgets that "updates" are supposed to be improvements. I'm afraid to see what another update to this pavilion would bring :shock:

Although, I do love my fantastic plastic robot :wink:

SimonTemplar
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Posts: 325
Joined: Mar Mon 27, 2006 5:45 pm
Location: Main Street USA

Post by SimonTemplar » May Wed 28, 2008 11:28 pm

DisBeamer wrote:I miss that Future Home; it had a lot of the furniture we have/had from Ikea. My desk was the desk of the future. I was ahead of the curve. :lol:

I don't mind if it stays. If they could redirect it to more of what I believe the original idea was - innovative inventions - then I might even go in there sometimes. I remember back in the day there used to be some interesting things to look at; I don't really see why they couldn't do that again if they wanted to spend the money to do it. If not, at least it's a nice air conditioned shortcut.
The future home was awesome! That being said, Disney needs to bring the focus of Innoventions back to what it once was, a place to see the cutting edge ideas that are coming our way. It used to really reflect the feel of Future World, but the key thought there is "used to". For now, it's just an afterthought (or a way to soak up a little AC).
"Here in Florida, we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland...the blessing of size. There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine." ~ Walt Disney

luv2cthemouse
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Posts: 182
Joined: Mar Fri 14, 2008 9:22 am

Post by luv2cthemouse » May Fri 30, 2008 10:50 am

It has basically been gutted. I think adding something new would be nice - it is time for a change.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 6842
Joined: Jun Sun 25, 2006 12:11 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tn
Contact:

Post by Jacca5660 » May Fri 30, 2008 1:12 pm

One thing you have to remember about Innoventions...It's sponsored generated! Disney is only going to use what a client will give them. That's why the plastic robots are gone.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

casrin
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Posts: 919
Joined: Mar Thu 15, 2007 8:12 am
Location: The Dreamport

Post by casrin » May Fri 30, 2008 1:50 pm

We never got into Innoventions, even when it was new. I don't know why.
-[b]casrin[/b]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~cparkins/images/userbar/userbar487580pb0.gif[/img][/url]

Calypso
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Posts: 339
Joined: Aug Wed 22, 2007 3:08 pm
Location: 1415 miles from WDW

Post by Calypso » May Fri 30, 2008 5:32 pm

I'm not a fan of Innoventions, but I know a lot of people (with older kids, usually boys) that spend a lot of time in there. I say keep it, but upgrade it.
Last edited by Calypso on Jun Mon 02, 2008 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

RREng77
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Posts: 163
Joined: Apr Fri 04, 2008 6:03 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Post by RREng77 » Jun Sun 01, 2008 9:09 pm

kkbowen12 wrote:
DisBeamer wrote:I miss that Future Home; it had a lot of the furniture we have/had from Ikea. My desk was the desk of the future. I was ahead of the curve. :lol:

I don't mind if it stays. If they could redirect it to more of what I believe the original idea was - innovative inventions - then I might even go in there sometimes. I remember back in the day there used to be some interesting things to look at; I don't really see why they couldn't do that again if they wanted to spend the money to do it. If not, at least it's a nice air conditioned shortcut.
The future home was awesome! That being said, Disney needs to bring the focus of Innoventions back to what it once was, a place to see the cutting edge ideas that are coming our way. It used to really reflect the feel of Future World, but the key thought there is "used to". For now, it's just an afterthought (or a way to soak up a little AC).
It would seem the fight for Intellectual Property rights for new inventions is probably so cut-throat these days, sponsors would spend more time suing one another over one's claim of an invention than they would actually supplying cutting-edge technology for public review and comment.

Sorry for sounding so cynical, but this reason seems just a little too plausible... :cry:
To do the improbable, we first have to dream the impossible.

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/7058/userbar646708dw8.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/3340/userbar646714dx9.gif[/img][/url]

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 6842
Joined: Jun Sun 25, 2006 12:11 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tn
Contact:

Post by Jacca5660 » Jun Mon 02, 2008 8:46 am

RREng77 wrote:
kkbowen12 wrote:
DisBeamer wrote:I miss that Future Home; it had a lot of the furniture we have/had from Ikea. My desk was the desk of the future. I was ahead of the curve. :lol:

I don't mind if it stays. If they could redirect it to more of what I believe the original idea was - innovative inventions - then I might even go in there sometimes. I remember back in the day there used to be some interesting things to look at; I don't really see why they couldn't do that again if they wanted to spend the money to do it. If not, at least it's a nice air conditioned shortcut.
The future home was awesome! That being said, Disney needs to bring the focus of Innoventions back to what it once was, a place to see the cutting edge ideas that are coming our way. It used to really reflect the feel of Future World, but the key thought there is "used to". For now, it's just an afterthought (or a way to soak up a little AC).
It would seem the fight for Intellectual Property rights for new inventions is probably so cut-throat these days, sponsors would spend more time suing one another over one's claim of an invention than they would actually supplying cutting-edge technology for public review and comment.

Sorry for sounding so cynical, but this reason seems just a little too plausible... :cry:[/quote

I most admit I never thought of it like that, I think you could be on to something. One other aspect...A good deal of these companies are on foreign soil! I believe this also has to be a factor in these kind of things,
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Post Reply