The Three Caballeros

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Chernabog
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

The Three Caballeros

Post by Chernabog » May Wed 28, 2008 8:55 am

What is the new Three Caballeros show about/like at Mexico in EPCOT? How often does it run, where is it located, etc. And what is with their comeback?

GhostHost
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by GhostHost » May Wed 28, 2008 9:01 am

I think Disney just decided to do away with El Rio Del Tiempo as a salute to Mexican culture and insert the Three Cabeleros instead. I preferred the old version of the ride as cheesy as it was. Some of it is still the same but where you had movies of the people and culture before, you have the Cabeleros now. I like the movie and I can't really blame Disney as it's a no brainer to put them in there but kind of a slap in the face to the Mexican pavilion in my opinion. I mean, the American Pavilion is not full of movies about Mickey Mouse. To answer your question, it runs all the time because it's just an updated version of the El Rio Del Tiempo attraction.
"Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time, and for a brief moment we have been among it's many passengers." -Spaceship Earth / Epcot

Mission Space 2003 Pioneer Crew

Chernabog
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Chernabog » May Wed 28, 2008 9:55 am

Thanks GhostHost! I did not know they updated the ride. Like you, I enjoyed the original for its heavy dose of cheese, but it had/has some cool parts to, like the volcano!

ericpabear
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by ericpabear » May Wed 28, 2008 10:16 am

GhostHost
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by GhostHost » May Wed 28, 2008 10:17 am

Chernabog wrote:Thanks GhostHost! I did not know they updated the ride. Like you, I enjoyed the original for its heavy dose of cheese, but it had/has some cool parts to, like the volcano!
The volcano is part of the inside of the pavilion itself and is unchanged. This is the area down by the water where the San Angel Inn restaurant is. I love the atmosphere in there.
"Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time, and for a brief moment we have been among it's many passengers." -Spaceship Earth / Epcot

bbowen13
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by bbowen13 » May Wed 28, 2008 10:29 am

I think the original is a lot better than the update. To me the Three Cabelleros gets to be kind of annoying. But that might just be my experience, see that last December my wife and I were stuck on the ride for about 10 mins. with the three saying goodbye over and over.

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » May Wed 28, 2008 1:58 pm

I agree with bbowen13. I liked the old version much more. The new version with the cartoon characters seems to be aimed at entertaining children rather teaching something about another culture.

GhostHost
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by GhostHost » May Wed 28, 2008 2:02 pm

cccmouse wrote:I agree with bbowen13. I liked the old version much more. The new version with the cartoon characters seems to be aimed at entertaining children rather teaching something about another culture.
Exactly what I said in my original response above. It seems that everything, even in Epcot which used to be an exception, has to revolve around a Disney movie now. :roll:

figment34786
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by figment34786 » May Wed 28, 2008 2:56 pm

I miss that catchy song they used to have on the old ride!

Well, at least it is still on Subsonic! :D

Croaker
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Croaker » May Wed 28, 2008 4:04 pm

I think the three Caballeros' don't belong in World Showcase...next they will want to add Pixar characters. I think it would be cute if the river ride had people crossing the river while you float down it. put a fence on one side of the river.
[img]http://www.oleole.es/main/web/images/manchester-united_banner.jpg[/img]

MintJulepRoo
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by MintJulepRoo » May Thu 29, 2008 1:13 am

Hurray for their comeback this movie rocks. The ride at Epcot has a small world vibe and it's so much fun! Its basically a short boat ride through a colorful fiesta. We went on it two times in a row. 8-)
"I'm not spongin for rum! It be gold I'm after!"

keneka

Post by keneka » May Thu 29, 2008 3:26 am

The ride is pretty continous, I still enjoy the ride but I wish at least they could have kept at least the old music as it was more inkeeping with the rest of the pavilion. It's not a bad ride but I think using the 3 Caballeros was maybe a mistake, because as they are theming it more for kids, most kids I don't think would have seen either the 3 Caballeros or Saludos Amigos as they are quite old and the parents who have seen both cartoons will probably think the ride is too kiddy.

Sleeping Beauty 5
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Sleeping Beauty 5 » May Thu 29, 2008 8:40 pm

I do the Three Caballeros ride now just for the memories. I know that the refurb was supposed to make it a more enjoyable ride but I just don't like it. I miss the song and I'm not that big a fan of Donald or his two friends.
Amy

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » May Fri 30, 2008 4:04 am

I honestly don't really find the attraction more or less enjoyable now than in the original form. I liked going on the original well enough, even though it had a high cheese factor and was extremely dated (some funky late 70s fashion goin' on in that thing). I liked the song though.

I liked the refurb okay too. I'm not sure the attempt to put a story into a ride progression that never really had one was entirely successful, but there was enough of the original ride left (the skeletons on the bridge, for instance) that Donald and friends were still balanced by nostalgia, I guess? I don't find the inclusion of characters in that ride all that offensive, anyway. At least they're themed right for the country, and they are a nod to old school Disney.

I dunno. It may be that, to me, they took a mediocre ride and ... kept it mediocre? If I had more of an attachment to the original I'm sure I'd feel differently. When it's "The Incredibles Present Spaceship Earth" or something, I'll be leading the pitchfork and torch brigade. :wink:
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

luv2cthemouse

Post by luv2cthemouse » May Fri 30, 2008 9:51 am

This is an attraction in the Mexico pavillion in EPCOT. It used to be Rio Del Tiempo. The changes they made are pretty subtle and did not really improve or worsen the ride one way or another. It
Last edited by luv2cthemouse on May Fri 30, 2008 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.