Disney's 5th gate rumored for 2011

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

wharf1940
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by wharf1940 » Mar Thu 06, 2008 7:37 am

the only voice of opposition I'll lend here is that I have been in favor of a park that stays open later for some time. My wife and I prefer Disney in part for their later operating hours (we are late risers!!) until we have the kids to worry about that is!! I was so shocked to find out how early SW, BG, and UNIV closed!! all by 7 and some by 6!
and the number one hardest thing to find in Walt Disney World is.....5 consecutive smiling children!!
"excuse me, that is NOT a designated smoking area, now would you PLEASE kindly take your fat white trash hiney OUT of MY park!! Thank you!!"
Brian and Simone, 2-14-08, at Disney's Wedding Pavillion

luv2cthemouse
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by luv2cthemouse » Mar Fri 21, 2008 9:43 am

WOW - this rumor resurfaces with a new year about every 6 months. :D

Disney is largely investing in their DVC and new cruise ships right now, I do not forsee a new park in the next few years.

With Discovery Cove, I do not see this being a money maker for WDW. I also do not trust much of what comes from Jim Hill. :wink:

Captain Schnemo
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by Captain Schnemo » Mar Fri 21, 2008 3:34 pm

wharf1940 wrote:...I have been in favor of a park that stays open later for some time.
I remember when the parks used to be open til midnight or later on a fairly regular basis. I guess this still happens during extremely busy periods at the MK. I'm a night owl, so I miss all that.

The parks look nicer at night and it was cool to be able to visit with lighter crowds without getting up at the crack of dawn and fighting with the rush.

Breton
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Breton » Mar Mon 24, 2008 2:02 am

I can't see this happening, I mean come on whats Animal Kingdom for then?

Captain Schnemo

Post by Captain Schnemo » Mar Mon 24, 2008 4:29 am

Discovery Cove is similarly-themed to Sea World, but it provides a much more intimate experience. You can swim with the sea life, feed the birds, relax on a beach, etc., all without the crowded look and feel of a regular theme park. It's really quite nice.

It's closer to a souped-up water park than the Sea World park itself.

Maybe if everyone thought about this potential park in terms of the scale of the Disney water parks (which also have limited admission), it'd be easier to swallow.

lebeau

Post by lebeau » Mar Mon 24, 2008 7:36 am

I've been seeing the Night Kingdom rumor all over the place recently. Not just at the Jim Hill site. I think it's a safe bet that Disney is moving forward with this plan at this point. Whether or not it will come to fruition is another matter. Disney has a history of abandoning projects.

Speaking of which, the latest from Jim Hill has some interesting AK rumors. Apparently, WDW management has decided not to move forward with the River of Lights parade. The reason given was that they would have to tear up a lot of landscaping to make it happen. If true, I think this was a wise decision. I'd hate to see the park lose it's unique flavor just to add in a night-time parade.

According to the article, an old project has resurfaced. Beastley Kingdom. Yeah, I can hear a lot of you rolling your eyes now. Apparently, all the original plans for that land would be scrapped. Everything would be developed from scratch and would tie into Disney characters heavily. (I hear rolling eyes again.)

I'm not sure if I buy the Beastley Kingdom rumor or not. If it's true, I'm not opposed to it. This is the one park that I think could use a little more kid-friendly character stuff (as long as it's done right).

TheCheshireStitch
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by TheCheshireStitch » Mar Fri 28, 2008 4:18 pm

supposedly night kingdom will not be a 5th gate, but more of an "experience". earlier rumors said that it would be near pleasure island, and this is not the case, either.

from what i've been reading, disney's night kingdom will be located next to DAK, or very close by it.

i think disney would be able to pull in some more tourism and make some more money on this....if it was as large as a theme park, probably not...but from what i'm hearing, it won't be that big of a risk for them. i'm thinking it's going to be a lot like discovery cove in size and admission...
DVC member SSR, Annual Passholder

Disney pin trading nut!

Hubby and I are Disney fanatics! Visit "the world" 3 times a year. <3

:ccat: :jack: :figment: