All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

lebeau
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Disney's 5th gate rumored for 2011

Post by lebeau » Feb Fri 15, 2008 12:31 pm

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... ience.aspx

Well, I didn't think we'd see one so soon.

I know Jim Hill has a spotty track record with rumors, but he seems pretty confident that Disney's Night Kingdom will open in 2011.

He describes it as a reaction to Sea World's Discovery Cove. The focus seems to be on "once-in-a-lifetime" animal encounters.

Personally, it doesn't sound like something I'd be really interested in. My wife, however, would probably love it.

cap396

Post by cap396 » Feb Fri 15, 2008 1:18 pm

Interesting article. I'll be interested to hear if Disney announces somthing about this. I'd be surprised that Disney would open a park with such a limited guest capacity. But $250 - $300 per person, I guess they would make money.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see whether or not this is actually true.

acp
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Post by acp » Feb Fri 15, 2008 3:06 pm

I don't think WDW is going to see another gate for quite a while yet.

Something like that to me suggests that it should be linked somehow to Animal Kingdom. Of course, the description given suggests that this doesn't fit the genre of "theme park" at all, more an adventurer activity oriented thing, which I wouldn't count as a fifth gate at all, more of an additional recreation attraction for the resort that doesn't involve additional bookings/higher entry prices than the parks.

Right now I think it's just a rumour. It'd be nice if it did happen, but right now I don't think it's going to.

Just my 2p.

Andy.
Subsonic Radio Admin and former Walt Disney World Cast Member

Subsonic Radio Player for Windows (Latest version: 1.8.5 - More info)

Disneyland Paris: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Walt Disney World: 2006, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2019
Tokyo Disney Resort: 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
Hong Kong Disneyland: 2016, 2017
Shanghai Disneyland: 2018

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Feb Fri 15, 2008 9:30 pm

i don't like this at all! If they wanted to build something liek this, just make AK open later and extend the park. There is no need for two animal parks. I also take it annual passes would NOT include this park.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

puertorican00676
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by puertorican00676 » Feb Fri 15, 2008 9:55 pm

I don't know if it sounds right to have a park for looking animals and activities that can be done during the day. Further more... most animals are not nocturnal as to see their activities during the night. there is something strange about that article.

SWHorn
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by SWHorn » Feb Sat 16, 2008 8:23 pm

Yeah, I agree. I don't think this is going to happen. It doesn't add up.
No fear hath ye of evil curses, says you.
Arrrrrr.
Properly warned ye be, says I.

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Feb Sat 16, 2008 10:08 pm

Sounds very ... strange. I agree with some of the previous thoughts; it sounds more like an add-on to AK than something new as a stand-alone. Given the source (Jim Hill) I think I'll wait for something from Disney itself before I really believe he's got this straight.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

skull
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by skull » Feb Sun 17, 2008 8:01 am

I agree, I can't see it happening. I'm going to join the I'll belive it when I hear about it officaly from Disney.
[img]http://www.adamandshannan.info/skull/skullsm.jpg[/img]

stinoi

Post by stinoi » Feb Sun 17, 2008 2:03 pm

This sounds like an odd approach for Disney. I agree; it seems that it should be an add-on to AK since that park closes earlier anyway.

I'll believe this one when I see it.

TheCheshireStitch
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by TheCheshireStitch » Feb Sun 17, 2008 7:27 pm

if this is true...(which of course, who knows) i'd go nuts for this park.:shock:

i'm crazy about zoology and animals. my hubby and i would be all over this. the price wouldn't be an issue if some of those experiences were true and available...

:ccat:
DVC member SSR, Annual Passholder

Disney pin trading nut!

Hubby and I are Disney fanatics! Visit "the world" 3 times a year. <3

:ccat: :jack: :figment:

SimonTemplar
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by SimonTemplar » Feb Sun 17, 2008 10:33 pm

The article and the concepts it describes is interesting, but I'd have to agree that it wouldn't be something I would be lining up for. I may try it at some point, but it wouldn't have me booking a WDW trip just to see what it's all about (like we did for AK at its opening).
"Here in Florida, we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland...the blessing of size. There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine." ~ Walt Disney

cap396

Post by cap396 » Feb Mon 18, 2008 6:52 am

but it wouldn't have me booking a WDW trip just to see what it's all about (like we did for AK at its opening).
The biggest drawback for me would be the price. If the price really were $250 - $300, it wouldn't worth it. You can already see animals at AK.

lebeau

Post by lebeau » Feb Mon 18, 2008 9:24 am

I'm always in the "skeptical until Disney officially announces it" camp. But something about this has the ring of truth to me. What we finally see may not be anything like what the article suggests. But I would not be at all surprised if Disney comes up with some kind of an answer to Discovery Cove. That part, at least, sonds spot-on to me.

skull

Post by skull » Feb Mon 18, 2008 9:59 am

What keeps me skeptical about this, is if they were trying to compete with discovery cove, wouldn't they have tried to come up with something like this a while back, like when discovery cove actually opened?
[img]http://www.adamandshannan.info/skull/skullsm.jpg[/img]

lebeau

Post by lebeau » Feb Mon 18, 2008 10:59 am

skull wrote:What keeps me skeptical about this, is if they were trying to compete with discovery cove, wouldn't they have tried to come up with something like this a while back, like when discovery cove actually opened?
It depends. I'm not surprised they waited and let Sea World take the risks. Now that they have seen that the business model works, they want a piece of that action. I can't blame them.