Disney's biggest blunder?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

nagelsn1978
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by nagelsn1978 » Sep Wed 12, 2007 7:54 am

I think Eisner came along at just the right time, but what i have heard is right, he did stay too long for anyones good. When a particular CEO remains in a position like that, they tend to get a bit megalomanical. So I would say that Disney being run as a dictatorship was one of their worst mistakes. I know it will always be somewhat of an autocracy, but at least pretend to listen to others opinions!
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself you will succumb in every battle." -Sun Tzu

pumpkinhead
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by pumpkinhead » Sep Thu 27, 2007 10:53 pm

Other than Disneyland Paris?

Captain Schnemo
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by Captain Schnemo » Sep Fri 28, 2007 4:01 pm

nagelsn1978 wrote:So I would say that Disney being run as a dictatorship was one of their worst mistakes. I know it will always be somewhat of an autocracy, but at least pretend to listen to others opinions!
I don't think the problem was the structure, but the man. Uncle Walt was a dictator himself, but he had a sense of quality and dignity that Eisner couldn't find with both hands and flashlight, to horribly mix metaphors.

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Sep Fri 28, 2007 7:22 pm

blunder?? i feel the biggest waste of space is the swiss family robinson tree house. Who wants to walk all of those stairs after walking the park?? I say clear the space and build a tarzan type coaster ride, like how he slides on vines...
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Sep Fri 28, 2007 8:25 pm

yodiwan1 wrote:blunder?? i feel the biggest waste of space is the swiss family robinson tree house. Who wants to walk all of those stairs after walking the park?? I say clear the space and build a tarzan type coaster ride, like how he slides on vines...
I disagree there. there are too many fast rides like that around WDW already (and a couple of them are right around the corner in Frontierland). Swiss Family is great on themeing and detail. I like to head there as one of the first attractions in the day. No one goes there (alot of people don't even realize it's there), the scenes look great in the birght morning light, and it's before you start tiring out due to the sun/pavement.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, Relayer, WDW Freak
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/4845/userbar499931tz9.gif[/img][/url]

BirdandRobot
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by BirdandRobot » Sep Fri 28, 2007 10:20 pm

I agree. I think Swiss Family Treehouse is one the park's most overlooked attractions.

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Sep Fri 28, 2007 11:08 pm

The Swiss Family Treehouse also has some great views of the MK and surrounding area. There aren't that many places you can get parts of Adventureland, Fantasyland and Tomorrowland in the same shot.
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

yodiwan1

Post by yodiwan1 » Sep Fri 28, 2007 11:15 pm

ok, sory i stepped on some toes there....lol, how about instead of just a little mermais playa rea, they turn the old 20,000 leagues ride into a little mermaid ride, i originally thought nemo, but now that they put him in the living seas, I feel it's ariels turn...the blunder here is not fully utilizing the spapce they left behind after closing 20, 000. :ariel:
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Sep Fri 28, 2007 11:19 pm

yodiwan1 wrote:ok, sory i stepped on some toes there....lol, how about instead of just a little mermais playa rea, they turn the old 20,000 leagues ride into a little mermaid ride, i originally thought nemo, but now that they put him in the living seas, I feel it's ariels turn...the blunder here is not fully utilizing the spapce they left behind after closing 20, 000. :ariel:
Well you're entitled to your opinion. No need to apologize. ;)

I would have loved to have seen a Little Mermaid ride in where the subs used to be (as opposed to what's there now). I still think there are a lot of scenes from TLM that could have transitioned into a first-rate dark ride (if they didn't want to be more creative than just 'porting' the movie into ride-form).

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Sep Sat 29, 2007 2:25 pm

Not the biggest blunder, but I think the change from Swiss Family Robinson to Tarzan wasn't a good move. The plastic figures just look cheesy to me and I loved the charm of the Swiss Family Robinson house because it almost seemed as if people could live there. I'm glad it's still in Florida!

I'm sure I've said it before (probably in this thread), but the biggest blunder for me is still the change of Journey into Imagination, one of my favorite and most inspirational rides.
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

yodiwan1

Post by yodiwan1 » Sep Sat 29, 2007 10:17 pm

i definetly miss the dreamfinder!!!

Blackie Pueblo
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Blackie Pueblo » Sep Sun 30, 2007 10:14 am

js3901 wrote:
yodiwan1 wrote:blunder?? i feel the biggest waste of space is the swiss family robinson tree house. Who wants to walk all of those stairs after walking the park?? I say clear the space and build a tarzan type coaster ride, like how he slides on vines...
I disagree there. there are too many fast rides like that around WDW already (and a couple of them are right around the corner in Frontierland). Swiss Family is great on themeing and detail. I like to head there as one of the first attractions in the day. No one goes there (alot of people don't even realize it's there), the scenes look great in the birght morning light, and it's before you start tiring out due to the sun/pavement.

I like the Treehouse. Although my legs may be a little sore after all those stairs I loved the movie so it's very sentimental to me. Plus it's something different. Look at it like a playground so to speak for EVERYONE. Kinda like the playground at Sea World. Especially for kids. Kids love climbing and being high in the sky.

"...so there is a distinction between DisneyLand in California and whatever Disney does in Florida."
---Walter Elias Disney

GhostHost
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by GhostHost » Oct Mon 01, 2007 7:17 am

Blackie Pueblo wrote:
js3901 wrote:

I like the Treehouse. Although my legs may be a little sore after all those stairs I loved the movie so it's very sentimental to me. Plus it's something different. Look at it like a playground so to speak for EVERYONE. Kinda like the playground at Sea World. Especially for kids. Kids love climbing and being high in the sky.

"...so there is a distinction between DisneyLand in California and whatever Disney does in Florida."
---Walter Elias Disney
Yeah, I find that this is one of the first things I do upon my arrival to the Magic Kingdom. Once you climb the tree and come back down, your blood is flowing well and you are ready to do lots of walking in the park!
"Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time, and for a brief moment we have been among it's many passengers." -Spaceship Earth / Epcot

Mission Space 2003 Pioneer Crew

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Oct Mon 01, 2007 12:24 pm

Not trying to beat a dead horse here but I just wanted to show the trees beauty:

yodiwan1 wrote:how about instead of just a little mermaid play area, they turn the old 20,000 leagues ride into a little mermaid ride,
I agree that we needs more of the red head in the park. But right now in the old 20,000 leagues area it is Pooh's Play area (just clarifying). In all honesty I thought they would have just converted the 20,000 leagues pool into a little Mermaid attraction back in the day anyway. Now if they want something cool there they would have to construct a building, because I don't think they will be digging it back up.
Last edited by Dr. Ravenscroft on Oct Tue 02, 2007 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4131/userbar460642qi2.gif[/img][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5236/userbar460651xq4.gif[/img]
[img]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7677/userbar461525mz8.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneymountainrides.com/_i/banners/bar/SR_siteadmin.gif[/img]

*****Site Admin*****
[url=http://www.twitter.com/travenscroft]twitter[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/49f5nd]plurk[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/556rz4]Flickr[/url] |

js3901

Post by js3901 » Oct Mon 01, 2007 9:15 pm

Dr. Ravenscroft wrote:Now if they want something cool there they would have to construct a building, because I don't think they will be digging it back up.
not only that, but the subs are no longer on disney property (at least last time I looked on Google Earth).
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, Relayer, WDW Freak
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/4845/userbar499931tz9.gif[/img][/url]