WDW college program experiences

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Sep Sun 02, 2007 10:10 am

It was like that for Custodial too when most of the stuff is pretty basic but it took 4 days of training. But just be warned Phil, that the first day alone, it will be crazy!
I know this is probably your first flight...and it's mine too...ha, ha

Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge.

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Sep Mon 03, 2007 12:53 am

Today was a very busy day.

As a Custodial, you realize how messy people can be when they eat. I was working France Streets today and people love the dessert and wine there so they pile up on the trash in the bins and on the streets. So I got there around 515, and swept away til 630. I couldn't do a trash run because there was no compactor in the back so I figured I could probably make it until 7:00 when I return from lunch to do one.

Boy was I mistaken, All of the Trash Cans were practically overflowing, it sucked! I had to work extra hard to make sure everything looked good for our guests. But despite the hassle of the long hard day in France, to see Illuminations with my new friend from France was amazing on its own. I think seeing it with coworkers who don't appreciate the show as much is kinda boring but to experience it with someone who loves everything about Illuminations was fun.

Number 1 Question of the Day: How do you get out of here?
Number 2 Question of the Day: Where is the closest restroom?
Number 3 Question of the Day: Can I get any closer to the Eiffell Tower? lol

Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge.

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Sep Mon 03, 2007 1:58 am

Yikes. Yeah, when the trash compactor isn't there, it's like, "well now what?" Did your trainer tell you were the other ones were?

Wow, well at least you ended your day with a show! Relaxing and playing in the parks after a long day of work is all the more enjoyable, I think.

I'm jealous, I wanna go now! Dang.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

acp
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Post by acp » Sep Mon 03, 2007 5:22 am

packwingfn wrote:Number 1 Question of the Day: How do you get out of here?
Number 2 Question of the Day: Where is the closest restroom?
Number 3 Question of the Day: Can I get any closer to the Eiffell Tower?
I guess my top three questions I had were:

1: Where's the closest restroom?
2: Where can I buy <object>?
3: Where's the nearest smoking area?

I also had some of the daft ones, like:

"Where is Soarin'?" (I worked in the Studios...)

"What does EPCOT Stand for?" (It amused one of my co-workers that I actually knew that!)

(standing in front of the Voyage of the Little Mermaid attraction) "Where can I find the Little Mermaid show?"

(pointing towards the chained off area that says "Cast members only" to the right of the Magic of Disney Animation) "Can I get to Rock 'n' RollerCoaster that way?" (You can, but only if you're cast!)

"How much is the $2 water?"

And so on :)

Andy.
Subsonic Radio Admin and former Walt Disney World Cast Member

Subsonic Radio Player for Windows (Latest version: 1.8.5 - More info)

Disneyland Paris: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Walt Disney World: 2006, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2019
Tokyo Disney Resort: 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
Hong Kong Disneyland: 2016, 2017
Shanghai Disneyland: 2018

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Sep Mon 03, 2007 9:40 am

One other gross thing about yesterday was that people were putting their feet in the fountain in France. I think that's gross and some kids were sticking their whole head inside there. Maybe it's just me but that bothered me.

And Lion, I called a coordinator saying, "How am I supposed to do a trash run if there is no compactor here and the trash cart was already full?" She said I could walk over to Morocco but luckily when I returned from lunch, a new one was getting placed back over there.

Onto non-related work stuff, I'm out of food in the apartment. It stinks when you work nights and your roommate works days (who has a car). It's a pain to take a bus to Publix to have a good amount of groceries and then have to carry them back on the bus and then walk back to your apartment (which is the fartest away from the bus stop). So thank god my roommate has today off so we are both in need of food. It also helps that I can go to the bank and cash my first 2 weeks paychecks (after this week, I have direct deposit) so I should have cash on me because the debit card was getting a little overused lately.

One more thing, I bought a retro EPCOT CENTER Tshirt. It's the one that says Epcot Center 3 times in a row. I bought that one because it's black, I just didn't see myself wearing a yellow tshirt.

acp

Post by acp » Sep Mon 03, 2007 10:28 am

Oh goodness, I remember the Publix/Walmart bus. 5 minutes to get to Walmart (since Vista was the last stop before heading to there), 55 minutes to get back again (since you have to visit Chatham/Commons first) :roll:

Some of the theme park busses are like that, too. MK and DTD spring to mind. It always took about 45 minutes to get from MGM to Vista too since you have to go to the Caribbean Beach Cast Services building, Chatham, Commons, etc first.

Often if I to Walmart with someone we'd get a taxi back and share the cost, it didn't cost much and was much quicker.

I also found it much nicer to, instead of crowding in the rabble waiting to get on the C bus at Epcot closing time, to get on the monorail and get on the A bus at the TTC, which is never full there, since the cast are picked up at West Clock instead - Almost guaranteed a seat on that one -and you get the bonus of riding the monorail!

Andy.

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Sep Mon 03, 2007 1:04 pm

Hmm, I can't really remember my top 3 questions. But it always seemed people wanted the most direct route to some attraction the farthest away from me. I would be standing in front the Hat, and someone would ask, where's LMA? Or if I'm at Muppets they'd ask me how to get to ToT or the exit.

Ah, yeah living at Chatham had it's ups and downs. Granted we got dropped off first, but we also always got picked up first as well. If I recall, it was E bus to MGM at every 15 and 45.

What's annoying is that if you're at Downtown Disney, and you got to get to work at one of the parks, you have to take a resort bus to one of the resorts, then take the appropriate park bus. And then you don't even know when it's going to get there.

Publix isn't too far, but it's a drag carrying your groceries in the heat. But then again, I always saw shopping carts discarded by the side of the road, lol. Also it closes relatively early, so many times I would be at Walmart at 1-2am. That's one thing about working custodial- you start a bit later, but you get off late.

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

SWHorn
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by SWHorn » Sep Mon 03, 2007 4:12 pm

I worked attractions in Tomorrowland, so my top 3 questions were probably:

1.) "Is the wait really that long?" (pointing to the wait time clock at Buzz)
2.) Some variant of: "Does this ride come back here?" or "Does this go to the parking lot?" (at TTA)
3.) "Where is the restroom?"
No fear hath ye of evil curses, says you.
Arrrrrr.
Properly warned ye be, says I.

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Sep Wed 05, 2007 1:19 am

On our way to work, we walk through a hallway and in the hallway, they have a red carpet on the ground with little signs and information up about the History of EPCOT, celebrating 25 years of Epcot. And guess what? They're even playing old EPCOT Center attractions in the background, it so reminds me of Subsonic :) It gets me so pumped up for the 25th Anniversary which I requested off so I could be there as a guest on October 1st.

Onto other matters, someone stole my pan & broom so I have a new one, it's kinda sad but I was getting attached to it. This new one I picked up kind of smells even after I hose it down.

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Sep Wed 05, 2007 9:46 am

is it really THAT bad at Disney/Epcot that your coworkers will steal a broom/dustpan? Man, and I thought our work was bad for people stealing
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, Relayer, WDW Freak
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/4845/userbar499931tz9.gif[/img][/url]

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Sep Wed 05, 2007 11:11 am

Nice pans and brooms are hot items. And yes, people do get attached to their equipment. Weird, but true.

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Sep Thu 06, 2007 10:19 am

Phil, I might be coming up to MGM on Saturday. Will you be working?

I think I have an obsession with seeing Off Kilter. Every day before work, I want to go in early to see one of their sets. I love their music, it's just so wonderful. I think it's the bagpipes.

I'm going to work early to today though to ride Test Track since the lines have been real short this week.

Tomorrow, Beers around the World!

acp

Post by acp » Sep Thu 06, 2007 12:49 pm

The lines were short at this time last year I recall. Some days in October were VERY quiet.. as in.. look either way across MGM and not see one guest.

Andy.

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Sep Sat 08, 2007 1:48 am

I made it all the way around the world. All 11 beers. Will update tomorrow. Pass out. Sleep

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Sep Sat 08, 2007 1:55 pm

I haven't been keeping up (first week of class and all that), so finally noticed your name badge today, packwinfn. Love it! The reports make me wish I were in WDW now. How's the weather? Still hot? It's been in the 90's here in MN lately which seriously stinks when the U can't figure out how to get the AC to work!
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.