WDW college program experiences

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

sandicinderelli
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by sandicinderelli » Sep Sun 16, 2007 12:13 am

coasterphil wrote:J I was on my feet and out in the heat for pretty much the entire 8 hours today.

I don't know how you CP'ers do it. If I had to do that 4,5,or 6 days in a row I'm fairly certain I'd crumble.
I finished the CP just this past May. I don't know how I did it either. I guess I just ignored/tuned out the pain. What I should have done is humble myself and get athletic shoes instead of keeping the "nicer looking" ones I had. Even after I put insoles in them, my feet were still hurting at day's end. My arches even hurt in the morning when I first walked around.

After I came home, I had the same problems, but my feet have gotten better. Maybe it's because I've gone back to a job where I'm sitting most of the time.

Anyway, hang in there!

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/4467/userbar447001xb8.gif[/img][/url]

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Sep Sun 16, 2007 2:14 am

sandicinderelli wrote:
coasterphil wrote:J I was on my feet and out in the heat for pretty much the entire 8 hours today.

I don't know how you CP'ers do it. If I had to do that 4,5,or 6 days in a row I'm fairly certain I'd crumble.
I finished the CP just this past May. I don't know how I did it either. I guess I just ignored/tuned out the pain. What I should have done is humble myself and get athletic shoes instead of keeping the "nicer looking" ones I had. Even after I put insoles in them, my feet were still hurting at day's end. My arches even hurt in the morning when I first walked around.

After I came home, I had the same problems, but my feet have gotten better. Maybe it's because I've gone back to a job where I'm sitting most of the time.

Anyway, hang in there!
Yeah, good shoes are important, especially if you don't want to have bad lasting effects from standing so long.

When I did the CP, I bought cheapie shoes from Wal Mart. They were really comfortable, but not very practical. I wore one pair out in about 3 months, then ruined them due to the rain. Yay galoshes!

And 6 days aint nothing. I remember some CPs working like 10-12 straight with no days off, myself included. That's just cruel.

But, hopefully you got a pair of good shoes and you get used to it!
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Sep Sun 16, 2007 11:22 am

My feet hurt but not to the pont where it bothers me to no end.... I can still walk fine and have it not hurt.

One thing, I've been geting some good muscles on my leg :)
I know this is probably your first flight...and it's mine too...ha, ha

Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge.

Disney west
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by Disney west » Sep Mon 17, 2007 8:58 pm

Thanks to all CP's for keeping us posted on what they did or are doing. :mickey:

rmorton50

Post by rmorton50 » Sep Tue 18, 2007 6:53 pm

Yes, thank you all of you CP'ers. I really enjoy reading about your experiences. I'm traveling nearly all the time now and only at home on weekends, so reading your posts really helps pass the lonely hours in hotel rooms! I wish I could have done the CP, but I'm about 35 years too late. But, loving Disney as I do, I find it really special to hear about what the CM's do. They make it all look so easy! I really appreciate all that they do now to make my vacations so wonderful. Never again will I take them for granted.
Roger

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Sep Wed 19, 2007 12:52 am

I was a CP back in 2001, during the 9/11 time period. To this day I am still friends with some of the people I met while living there. I wish I can say I had a great experience over all, but I was one of the casualties of the slow turn outs following 9/11. Once the had to cut hours it was only a matter of time before they started getting rid of us, and they did. One month before my program ended. I was upset with Disney for a few months, but realized there were a few individuals that were rotten, and the entire company is not reflected by the few people in management that were cleaning house ( no pun intended, but I happened to be in custodial). Well, I am getting married soon and my fiance is learning to cope with my Disney infatuation. I look forward to checking this thread and maybe even finding some old friends.
~Jarett Chatham "9101 Summer advantage 01 :mickey: :goofy_bounce:
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Sep Fri 21, 2007 12:00 pm

Where have I been?

Tuesdsay I did Universal and I loved it.

Some of their rides are just so awesome (Mummy, Spiderman, MIB, Hulk) and some of them are just outdated (T2, Jaws, ET) and some I just hated (Shrek).

I was so scared during the Mummy, especially being it was my first ride of the day and that I had no idea what to suspect during the ride but I loved it every single part about it. It's a real well designed coaster/ride and recommand it to anyone who hasnt been on it before.

Spiderman was real impressive too, The 3d Aspect, the part that makes you feel like you're actuallly being webbed up the ceiling.

Men in Black - Jessica and Matt kicked Carissa and I's butt. We sat in the back when they sat in the front and their scores were around 300,000 while we barely had 50,000 each. Overall a fun ride and defnitely something I can ride all day to improve my score.....which I did during the 3 times we went on the ride.

Hulk - First time on the Hulk, It temp went down for a few minutes while we are about to get launched so just imagine sitting there, looking straight at the launch where you will be launched 0 to 50 into a giant loop. My hands were sweaty holding onto the bars.

Dudley Do Right - Defnitely not as good as Splash Mountain but you do get wetter. Too much! I was soaked for the rest of the night and I hated it!

Enough about Universal though....

Yesterday at work, was a welcome event to all of the CPs at EPCOT. We had to dress business casual and went to the Seas VIP Room. They had a lot of people talk and give away prizes while they fed us. I looked into becoming a campus rep since my school had no idea what the CP was before I did it. I even looked into the Professional Internship booth as well. Then afterwards, everyone else had to go to work while the Custodials from Future World and World Showcase had a fun day.

We did Custodial Trivia which was fun, our team name was Odyssey Out (it refers to your assignment for the day), like if you were signed Odyssey Out, you would have to deep clean or maintain the Odyssey Outside restrooms! Our team wasn't that good but the rules weren't fair to begin with anyway lol. Then we were introduced to all our managers and their stories here at Disney. Some of them have been with the company for 35 years, it's amazing! And they bounce around the parks, some worked in Merch/Ops/Food & Bev and are now in Custodial. After listening to them, it really makes me want to work full time for Disney in a Management Role.

Then they sent us on our own in a Scavenger Hunt, like to get an autograph from a character, collect all 4 time guides from the parks, name 3 species of fish at the Seas pavillion. They also gave us 3 fastpasses that were good for Soarin, Test Track and Mission Space. How awesome is that! And remember we all got paid during that trip.

Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge.

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Sep Fri 21, 2007 1:19 pm

packwingfn wrote:
Then we were introduced to all our managers and their stories here at Disney. Some of them have been with the company for 35 years, it's amazing! And they bounce around the parks, some worked in Merch/Ops/Food & Bev and are now in Custodial. After listening to them, it really makes me want to work full time for Disney in a Management Role.
Yes! Hearing the stories about the managers' experiences always blew me away. I really admire my former managers.

I felt exactly the same way you did. I wanted to become a manager somewhere on property. But then you really really have to want it.

I hope you do become a campus rep! Keep that in mind.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Sep Fri 21, 2007 2:04 pm

ET is outdated??? Ok, not being one for the thrill rides, I haven't been to Universal in years, but when I went, that one was right up there with Fantasyland rides for me. I just loved flying on bikes to the Green Planet!
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Sep Fri 21, 2007 2:05 pm

My favorite story was my homeroom manager Wayne. He is from Jamacia and he is a pretty funny guy if you actually talk to him instead of being afraid of him. Well he starts off by saying he started with the company in 1989. Well one girl just blurts out "Wow that was the year I was born!" And everyone in the room started cracking up while Wayne gave her a funny look haha

Disney west
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by Disney west » Sep Fri 21, 2007 5:36 pm

Thanks for the update. How are the crowds this time of year? Are you getting fewer hours? :?:

acp
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Post by acp » Sep Fri 21, 2007 7:00 pm

If it's anything like last year, it'll be quite quiet right now until mid October.

I remember one morning working on the ice cream cart outside Star Tours and not being able to see a single guest whichever way I looked :o

Andy.
Subsonic Radio Admin and former Walt Disney World Cast Member

Subsonic Radio Player for Windows (Latest version: 1.8.5 - More info)

Disneyland Paris: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Walt Disney World: 2006, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2019
Tokyo Disney Resort: 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
Hong Kong Disneyland: 2016, 2017
Shanghai Disneyland: 2018

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Sep Sat 22, 2007 9:33 am

It will be dead until September 28th...The Start of Food & Wine.

I am seriously not looking foward to it!

I cleaned my first protein spill yesterday! It wasn't that bad

yodiwan1

Post by yodiwan1 » Sep Sat 22, 2007 12:33 pm

I remember working at MK during Mickey's -Not-So-Scarey Halloween party. I loved it!! Good music to listen to, if youre near a DJ,and small crowds of friendly people. Handing out candy was always fun! I never worked at Epcot, but I did love the F/W Fest.!! :wave:
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Sep Sun 23, 2007 1:06 am

I just found out my schedule for next week and I will be working Tuesday October 2nd in the American Gardens theater and guess who is performing? The Beach Boys! Man, my parents will be jealous (yes they are more brian wilson fans but i know deep down, they are jealous)

I also have October 1st off so I will be at EPCOT for the 25th Anniversary. I can't wait for the rededication of the park and the special Illuminations.

Speaking of Illuminations, some of the fireworks havent been launching the past 2 nights. Usually the fireworks rise from the globe after "We Go On" but so far nothing has been launched and the side fireworks aren't working either. I'm not sure if it's a "not every night" thing or what but it really feels weird not seeing those fireworks after seeing Illuminations for 20+ times already.