Fastpass+ Rant

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Chuckus95
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Posts: 101
Joined: Aug Thu 02, 2012 7:07 am

Fastpass+ Rant

Post by Chuckus95 » Sep Thu 17, 2015 8:18 am

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but Fastpass+ is very frustrating sometimes. We have booked a trip for the week of Nov. 15 staying at AKL and are going to MK on Nov. 17 for MVMCP. So, I got onto My Disney Experience at midnight on Sept. 16 (the opening of our 60 day window) and immediately tried to get FP for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, but they were all gone for the day. This has happened to me on two previous trips, and we did not ride it because of long lines and our son wasn't tall enough to ride (he is tall enough this year so we really want to ride). Because of being denied the previous two trips, I did some research and tried to get the FPs individually instead of as a group, but I still failed. I don't know what is going on. It is supposed to be a fairly calm week. The only thing I can guess is that MK will be more crowded that day because of MVMCP, but I wouldn't think it would be that crowded.

We love staying on-site, and are willing to pay a premium to do so, in part, to obtain 60 day FP access. But, if we keep getting denied like this, our willingness to stay on-site may diminish. You would think that Disney could hold some FPs back each day for new resort guests to obtain FPs.

Oh well, looks like we will just have to head to MK early and get to the Mine Train at rope drop.
Image

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18491
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Fastpass+ Rant

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 17, 2015 9:55 am

That does seem strange that the FP would all be gone already. As you mentioned, it might be due to the MVMCP guests ~ I'd keep checking, but I think you have the best plan of heading there first thing :)

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Posts: 2833
Joined: Jan Fri 21, 2011 8:47 am
Location: Greenwood, IN

Re: Fastpass+ Rant

Post by cy1229 » Sep Thu 17, 2015 10:33 am

This kind of thing is what I was afraid of. Stinks that you can't get the FP you REALLY want for your trip. Do like Amy said and keep checking back each day to see if any open up. You might call Guest Services to see if they have any suggestions after you explain your tactic. They might be able to finagle something for you.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Posts: 5531
Joined: Sep Sat 04, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Fastpass+ Rant

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Thu 17, 2015 11:55 pm

Is there some holiday that week? It seems odd that it would be out on a Tuesday prior to a peak season.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Posts: 1035
Joined: Sep Thu 25, 2008 8:44 am

Re: Fastpass+ Rant

Post by cousininmiami » Sep Fri 18, 2015 9:46 am

You might want to try going to City Hall when you arrive at Magic Kingdom and talk to someone in Guest Relations. Tell them where you are staying, and you couldn't get a Fastpass for the mine ride. I'm betting they will with either come up with a Fastpass for you, or come up with something else equally as special in replacement. A lot of people go to the parks every day, and sometimes the squeaky wheel, (or one with a bottom lip stuck out) will get something nice! It's worth a try....
:D
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Image

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Posts: 414
Joined: Aug Wed 05, 2009 10:11 am
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Fastpass+ Rant

Post by Belle1082 » Sep Fri 18, 2015 10:57 am

cousininmiami wrote:You might want to try going to City Hall when you arrive at Magic Kingdom and talk to someone in Guest Relations. Tell them where you are staying, and you couldn't get a Fastpass for the mine ride. I'm betting they will with either come up with a Fastpass for you, or come up with something else equally as special in replacement. A lot of people go to the parks every day, and sometimes the squeaky wheel, (or one with a bottom lip stuck out) will get something nice! It's worth a try....
:D
I've never even thought of doing that. Does that actually work?!?

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Posts: 250
Joined: Aug Fri 23, 2013 10:49 pm
Location: N of the 49th

Re: Fastpass+ Rant

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Sep Sat 19, 2015 3:35 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Is there some holiday that week? It seems odd that it would be out on a Tuesday prior to a peak season.
I hope there's no holiday, that's the week I'll be there too. Have fun at MVMCP Chuckus95, that's the one I'm planning on attending as well.
There were some problems when I tried to make my FP+ reservations at about 12:30am as well. I managed to get the Mine Train for my day at MK on the 18th, but for a while nothing showed available for any of my attraction picks.

Good luck, I hope something opens up for you!

lonepalm
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Posts: 233
Joined: Jul Thu 09, 2009 10:20 pm

Re: Fastpass+ Rant

Post by lonepalm » Sep Mon 21, 2015 11:44 am

I know I am probably in the vast minority here, or probably the only person on the face of the planet that feels this way, but honestly, I would prefer FP to just go away completely. I miss the "good ol' days" of having to wait in line at each ride you wanted to go on. I realize the value of FP and yes, I have even used them, but I am more of a traditionalist. I guess I would even settle for the original version of FP. I haven't yet had the opportunity to use FP+, but I am not one who likes to plan ever aspect of every day of my vacation, so booking rides in advance is just awful in my opinion. It's bad enough you need to schedule dinner 6 months in advance, and now you need to book rides far in advance too? I'm not crazy about that idea. Call me crazy...
Image

Proud bandwidth donor to Subsonic Radio!

Check out disneyparksinfo.com and wdwthemeparks.com!

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Posts: 414
Joined: Aug Wed 05, 2009 10:11 am
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Fastpass+ Rant

Post by Belle1082 » Sep Mon 21, 2015 1:10 pm

lonepalm wrote:I know I am probably in the vast minority here, or probably the only person on the face of the planet that feels this way, but honestly, I would prefer FP to just go away completely. I miss the "good ol' days" of having to wait in line at each ride you wanted to go on. I realize the value of FP and yes, I have even used them, but I am more of a traditionalist. I guess I would even settle for the original version of FP. I haven't yet had the opportunity to use FP+, but I am not one who likes to plan ever aspect of every day of my vacation, so booking rides in advance is just awful in my opinion. It's bad enough you need to schedule dinner 6 months in advance, and now you need to book rides far in advance too? I'm not crazy about that idea. Call me crazy...
I definitely agree with part of the whole FP+ experience. I also think about people who have never been to Disney or maybe just don't have the technology experience and might become totally overwhelmed by it all...or just don't do any of the planning. I hate to think that people's experiences would be poor because of not having that knowledge.
I know that I pretty much have the knowledge and even I get lost and/or struggle with the system and worrying about getting everything figured out. I

I think our group will benefit greatly by the new system, but that is based off of my hard work and diligence of figuring out what parks we should go to on what days and what fast passes to get on those days and when. Not to mention factoring in our group of 10, including 4 little ones under the age of 6.

I see both sides for sure. But some times I do wish it was like it used to be!

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Posts: 295
Joined: Oct Tue 09, 2012 6:08 pm
Location: Los Osos, California (a.k.a. 2,714 miles from the Polynesian)
Contact:

Re: Fastpass+ Rant

Post by JenMuse » Sep Mon 21, 2015 6:35 pm

Chuckus95 wrote:I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but Fastpass+ is very frustrating sometimes. We have booked a trip for the week of Nov. 15 staying at AKL and are going to MK on Nov. 17 for MVMCP. So, I got onto My Disney Experience at midnight on Sept. 16 (the opening of our 60 day window) and immediately tried to get FP for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, but they were all gone for the day. This has happened to me on two previous trips, and we did not ride it because of long lines and our son wasn't tall enough to ride (he is tall enough this year so we really want to ride). Because of being denied the previous two trips, I did some research and tried to get the FPs individually instead of as a group, but I still failed. I don't know what is going on. It is supposed to be a fairly calm week. The only thing I can guess is that MK will be more crowded that day because of MVMCP, but I wouldn't think it would be that crowded.

We love staying on-site, and are willing to pay a premium to do so, in part, to obtain 60 day FP access. But, if we keep getting denied like this, our willingness to stay on-site may diminish. You would think that Disney could hold some FPs back each day for new resort guests to obtain FPs.

Oh well, looks like we will just have to head to MK early and get to the Mine Train at rope drop.
Wow, that is crazy. I got multiple FP+ for Seven Dwarfs for my trip in just a few days despite the MNSSHP crowd. And I've had no trouble booking Seven Dwarfs for my clients through their MDE accounts.

Must be the MVMCP because they don't do fastpass+ during the party (same for MNSSHP which made me nervous when I was getting them for my trip). Limits the total number available for the day when the operating hours are shortened. It's an IT issue because the separate ticket events don't sync well within MDE...yet.
  • 1980-93: Fort Wilderness
    1996: All-Stars Movie
    1999: rented a private home
    2008: Hilton Grand Vacation Club at International Drive (HGVC)
    2009: All-Stars Music & Pop Century
    2010: HGVC at I-Drive
    2011: Anaheim Hilton (DisneyLand)
    2012: HGVC at I-Drive & Caribbean Beach Resort
    2013: HGVC-Parc Soleil & Port Orleans Riverside AND Anaheim Hilton
    2015: Old Key West & Saratoga Springs

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Posts: 1035
Joined: Sep Thu 25, 2008 8:44 am

Re: Fastpass+ Rant

Post by cousininmiami » Sep Tue 22, 2015 11:40 am

Belle1082 wrote:
cousininmiami wrote:You might want to try going to City Hall when you arrive at Magic Kingdom and talk to someone in Guest Relations. Tell them where you are staying, and you couldn't get a Fastpass for the mine ride. I'm betting they will with either come up with a Fastpass for you, or come up with something else equally as special in replacement. A lot of people go to the parks every day, and sometimes the squeaky wheel, (or one with a bottom lip stuck out) will get something nice! It's worth a try....
:D
I've never even thought of doing that. Does that actually work?!?
I've asked Guest Relations for special circumstances before, and if you go in with the attitude of being nice, and asking for help... generally they will do something nice back! I'm sure its a pleasure to deal with someone nice when a lot of the time there are people int here ranting!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Image

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Posts: 5531
Joined: Sep Sat 04, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Fastpass+ Rant

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Tue 22, 2015 9:17 pm

But at the same time, if you don't get what you want, don't be a dick about it.

Chuckus95
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Posts: 101
Joined: Aug Thu 02, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Fastpass+ Rant

Post by Chuckus95 » Sep Wed 23, 2015 7:58 am

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I've checked back each day for the past week, and there still is nothing available. So, I think that we will just head to the Mine Train straight away at rope drop and wait in stand-by.
Image

Tiger87
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Posts: 104
Joined: Nov Tue 08, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Fastpass+ Rant

Post by Tiger87 » Oct Tue 06, 2015 3:57 pm

We just came back from WDW 3 days ago ....and feared we would not be able to ride the Mine Train and we could not get Fps for the ride as well..our last day I convinced myself to brave the 70 minute stand by line at 9:30 am.....35 minutes later I was off the ride looking for our photo..which might I add also has video with the Memory Maker..Try not to let Fast Pass control your trip...try to get your first 3 fast passes done early in the day so you can get more for the later half..sometimes using your passes on older rides with shorter lines makes more time to "stand by" in a longer one...Good Luck and have a Magical Trip :mickey:

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Posts: 295
Joined: Oct Tue 09, 2012 6:08 pm
Location: Los Osos, California (a.k.a. 2,714 miles from the Polynesian)
Contact:

Re: Fastpass+ Rant

Post by JenMuse » Oct Tue 06, 2015 4:51 pm

Tiger87 wrote:We just came back from WDW 3 days ago ....and feared we would not be able to ride the Mine Train and we could not get Fps for the ride as well..our last day I convinced myself to brave the 70 minute stand by line at 9:30 am.....35 minutes later I was off the ride looking for our photo..which might I add also has video with the Memory Maker..Try not to let Fast Pass control your trip...try to get your first 3 fast passes done early in the day so you can get more for the later half..sometimes using your passes on older rides with shorter lines makes more time to "stand by" in a longer one...Good Luck and have a Magical Trip :mickey:
I just got back as well, and well, I didn't even use my last FP+ for the Mine Train. It was sooo hot, and sooo crowded that our afternoon break stretched out and we didn't get back to the MK before our dining reservation at Citricos.
  • 1980-93: Fort Wilderness
    1996: All-Stars Movie
    1999: rented a private home
    2008: Hilton Grand Vacation Club at International Drive (HGVC)
    2009: All-Stars Music & Pop Century
    2010: HGVC at I-Drive
    2011: Anaheim Hilton (DisneyLand)
    2012: HGVC at I-Drive & Caribbean Beach Resort
    2013: HGVC-Parc Soleil & Port Orleans Riverside AND Anaheim Hilton
    2015: Old Key West & Saratoga Springs

Post Reply