Sleeping Beauty's Castle Walk thru

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

Bullwinkle
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Sleeping Beauty's Castle Walk thru

Post by Bullwinkle » Mar Tue 04, 2008 11:33 pm

Anybody remember walking up thru the castle ( Disneyland) to see the Sleeping Beauty story (Dioramas). It was real small and tight (I.E. firetrap). Understand it's still there, just no access.

TheCheshireStitch
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by TheCheshireStitch » Mar Wed 05, 2008 2:15 am

do you mean the mosaic in the tunnel in cinderella's castle at WDW? if so, yes, the mosaic story of cinderella is still there.

the castle in disneyland is sleeping beauty's castle. the walk through sleeping beauty story mosaic, according to wikipedia, was closed to the public in 2001.
DVC member SSR, Annual Passholder

Disney pin trading nut!

Hubby and I are Disney fanatics! Visit "the world" 3 times a year. <3

:ccat: :jack: :figment:

cap396

Post by cap396 » Mar Wed 05, 2008 6:01 am

I remember it. I always wonder why the closed it. It doesn't seem like it would be expensive to maintain.

disneydreamer58
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by disneydreamer58 » Mar Wed 05, 2008 8:37 am

I remember walking through it years and years ago. they closed it after 9/11 from what I heard, when they found out that Disneyland was one of the places terrorists had arial photo's of. That's what I read somewhere anyway.
"A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!"

Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle » Mar Wed 05, 2008 9:54 am

A Correction: It's was the "SLEEPING BEAUTY" walk thru at Disneyland's "SLEEPING BEAUTY" Castle. The Cinderella Castle is featured in the WDW/Tokyo Parks. I got my castles mixed up. Sorry
"Just remember, six out of seven Dwarfs are not Happy"

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Mar Wed 05, 2008 10:05 am

Edited Cinderella to Sleeping Beauty
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Mar Wed 05, 2008 7:06 pm

I think I've gone through it once but it was forever ago that I don't even remember.

Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle » Mar Wed 05, 2008 9:55 pm

Thanx for correcting my mistake...

Found a link showing some pix....

http://www.yesterland.com/sbwalkthru.html
"Just remember, six out of seven Dwarfs are not Happy"

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Mar Wed 05, 2008 10:12 pm

oh, awesome. now i could go refresh my memory.

saritajuanita
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by saritajuanita » Mar Fri 07, 2008 1:14 am

I remember doing the walk-through at least once. The dioramas were quite cute (though this is from someone who goes on the Storybook Canal Ride every time she goes to the park), though they seemed a bit dusty and under-appreciated. I've heard the 9/11 explanation for why the walk-through is now closed, but I've also heard that it's because of a) lack of interest, b) expense of upkeep, and/or c) lack of compliance with disabilities statutes.

For now, the dioramas belong to the feral cats that make their home in the castle.
"Pretty soon we'll be underwater - I mean, under<i>way</i>."

"Careful of the little ones folks, if they latch on to you they'll bleed you dry for the next 18 to 24 years."

Shinku
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Shinku » Mar Fri 07, 2008 1:34 am

I remember! I loved that place as a kid (despite the smell and tight spaces where people seemed to cluster, making it impossible to pass...). It was cute, but did not age well. The figurines would be highly outdated by today's standards. I think they either needed to update it to keep up interest, or close it, and htey unfortunately chose the latter.

TheCheshireStitch

Post by TheCheshireStitch » Mar Fri 07, 2008 1:38 am

it's hard for me to think that 9/11 would be a reason, since there are many, many parts of DL (as well as other disney parks) where lots and lots of people are gathered in one place. i don't see what would make the inside of the castle any different than most queues, restaurants, and rides.

my guess is that it was just too small of a space and that problems arose from it being too crowded, maybe even fire hazard rules becoming a problem, along with the whole scene being very dated.

Disney pin trading nut!

js3901

Post by js3901 » Mar Fri 07, 2008 9:20 am

TheCheshireStitch wrote:it's hard for me to think that 9/11 would be a reason, since there are many, many parts of DL (as well as other disney parks) where lots and lots of people are gathered in one place. i don't see what would make the inside of the castle any different than most queues, restaurants, and rides.
the reasoning behind the 9/11 closure story is that someone could sneak some kind of dirty bomb into the middle of the castle, blow it up, and remove one of the best loved icons in american history, infecting an unknown number of people with radiation poisoning.

it's not that it has anything to do with the tight spaces, it's the whole blow it up, and infect people scenario.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Mar Fri 07, 2008 12:28 pm

js3901 wrote:the reasoning behind the 9/11 closure story is that someone could sneak some kind of dirty bomb into the middle of the castle, blow it up, and remove one of the best loved icons in american history, infecting an unknown number of people with radiation poisoning.

it's not that it has anything to do with the tight spaces, it's the whole blow it up, and infect people scenario.
Of course if anyone with a brain thought about this it really makes as much sense as building a theme park about California IN California.....(zing!). But seriously if someone wanted to remove this icon they don't need to blow up anything inside the castle.....outside the castle works just as well. Oh and to the FBI or NSA agent reading my red flagged post.....HI!!!!!!!! I like America!!!!!!!

Anywho I still say that closing the walk-thru was stupid. Histeria taking over peoples reasoning, just like when I get stopped by Police in Washington DC for taking too many pictures of Monuments......I'M A PHOTOGRAPHER!!!!!!
[img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4131/userbar460642qi2.gif[/img][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5236/userbar460651xq4.gif[/img]
[img]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7677/userbar461525mz8.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneymountainrides.com/_i/banners/bar/SR_siteadmin.gif[/img]

*****Site Admin*****
[url=http://www.twitter.com/travenscroft]twitter[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/49f5nd]plurk[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/556rz4]Flickr[/url] |

TheCheshireStitch

Post by TheCheshireStitch » Mar Fri 07, 2008 12:56 pm

yea, i really don't see the whole terrorist theory to be a legitimate reason. again, there are many, many ways a terrorist could harm the castle if they were really set on doing that. i don't think the sleeping beauty thing would be the only way.

again, if terrorists were set on doing the whole "blow it up, infect people scenario" there are many other places in DL they could do this at. WDW was also under warning on 9/11, and there are many areas of cindy's castle that many ppl gather in (the walk through, cindy's royal table, etc). their castle is still open.

at any rate, the whole scenario is creeping me out! we're going to disney in may and worrying about terrorists is the last thing i want on my mind :( very scary stuff....we can see nyc from our house and it's always a fear in the back of our heads.

Disney pin trading nut!