wisdom teeth

Stuff that's not Disney/Site related

Moderator: Moderators

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director

wisdom teeth

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Jul Fri 21, 2006 9:08 pm

So today at 9am ish, I got all four of my wisdom teeth taken out. After many years of avoiding it, it was time for them to come out.

I was knocked out for the entire ordeal, and now I'm waiting for the anethesia stuff to wear off, so I can not sit here and feel dizzy and doing my own protein spill...again.

I'm so hungry and thirsty, but I'm afraid everything that I put in will just come right back out. And oh, the pain!

What age did you guys get your wisdom teeth taken out? Got any stories?
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

ttztotdca50
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by ttztotdca50 » Jul Fri 21, 2006 11:17 pm

Ouch :x... hope you feel better! :)

I've been so lucky... I have never had any teeth pulled, I have never had braces, and I have zero cavities.
Eleka Nahmun Nahmun Atum Atum Eleka Nahmun

Sub Ride Count: 1

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Jul Fri 21, 2006 11:41 pm

I had all of my wisdom teeth out when I was 16 or 17. I was completely knocked-out with 3 different types of anethesia. I had a local, nitrous, and an IV to keep me nice and sedated. as soon as the IV pierced the skin I was out. you could've done ANYTHING to me at that point and I couldn;t feel a thing (I guess the doctor had some trouble with one of the teeth that just did not want to come out. he told me later that he's never had that much touble to get a tooth out and he's never had one bleed that much. I couldn;t care less as I was out during the whole ordeal...

after the iv was taken out, I was awake enpugh to know what was going on, but still drugged to the gills so it felt like I was watching everything on TV and not participating. I remember walking to the front dorr being led by the hand by my mother, walking like a zombie, through the waiting room and probably scared the crap out of a girl with her mother. :lol:

I was lucky and didn;t throw up at all. I only had to take the Tylenol with codeine once, but it made me WANT to throw up.

I had the surgery done early in the morning, and by early evening, I was back up and around feeling fine. I couldn;t eat hard, crunchy foods for about 2 weeks or so afterwards as they didn;t want the foods to break the stiches and get lodged in the sockets, so I ate alot of pasta dishes (mostly mac and cheese).

I've always recommended laying down to avoid the dizziness. I did it as soon as I got home and, like I said before, I was up and around feeling fine later that day. also helps to keep some water nearby to just swish around the back of your mouth (luke-warm water works best).
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, Relayer, WDW Freak
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/4845/userbar499931tz9.gif[/img][/url]

acp
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Post by acp » Jul Sat 22, 2006 4:17 am

Aww, I had mine out earlier this year, although I had them done two at a time (with a 2 month gap in the middle) with a local anaesthetic (quite a generous portion of for one of them, which I could still feel 4 needles later :( )

Interestingly, afterwards, and when the anaesthetic wore off, I didn't feel a thing. I ate on the opposite side for a day or two whilst the hole healed, then I was back to normal. The dentist did give me a rather large box of strong pain killers, all of which are still in that same box unopened, since I didn't actually feel any pain from it, which was a good thing.

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » Jul Sat 22, 2006 6:22 am

I was 17 and don't remember a thing about the procedure itself - but I remember waking up in hysterics from the anesthesia and my parents still talk 20 years later about how much I laughed on the ride home. Took a few days for the pain and swelling to go down, and I didn't have any protein spills. :shock:

I hope you are feeling better soon!
Steve Baker ~ Travel Consultant :mickey3:
Steve.Baker@themagicforless.com
Affiliated with The Magic for Less
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]

js3901

Post by js3901 » Jul Sat 22, 2006 12:39 pm

I was laughing my head off with the nitrous right before the IV and the local. whever getting an IV, doctors always have a tough time finding a vein in either of my arms. The doctor in this case gave the gas first and had it on for about 15 minutes before anything else happene. then he spent another 10 minutes popping his fingers on my wrists tryng to get the veins to pop up. because I couldn't feel it, I thought it was hilarious. I was laughing so much that the doctor started laughing too.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, Relayer, WDW Freak
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/4845/userbar499931tz9.gif[/img][/url]

knedeau
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by knedeau » Jul Sat 22, 2006 1:04 pm

I was 24 when I had mine taken out (only 3 came in) and since I had no health insurance at the time, I could only afford the novacaine! I was awake the WHOLE time. One was impacted and BROKE!!!! It took 45 min to extract.... with a LOT of digging! When the novacaine wore off later that day......... the pain was SOOO bad. But after I was able to sleep for an hour.. it wasn't so bad. SO try to sleep.. it's your body's BEST healing mechanisms!
"Hey, Look at that guy in the Goofy Mask!" "That's not a mask!" "Oh... Sorry Lady!"

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Jul Sat 22, 2006 1:44 pm

Wow. Interesting stories. Everyone experiences are different.

I wasn't scared the day before, but then I started imagining things, and got a little nervous. When it came time to actually be put to sleep, I just remember getting drowsy, and staring into the light above me. Someone asked if I was getting sleepy, and I replied yes. Then BAM, out light a light.

The next thing I know, I'm awake and staring out the 17 story window of the dentists office, feeling groggy.

I just spent the entire day lying down on the bed or the couch. Today I feel much much better. But still really sore, and it hurts to laugh :(
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

karenj2
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by karenj2 » Jul Sat 22, 2006 4:38 pm

I was in High School. All I remember is listening to the radio, nervous about being put under, and the song "You've got a friend" (by James Taylor) was on, which comforted me. Afterwords, I remember feeling like a flip-top head (like the Reach toothbrush commercials). I didn't get nearly as sick as my sister did.

Anyway, I hope you feel better.
Karenj2

QuickGold

Post by QuickGold » Jul Mon 24, 2006 10:06 am

I still have mine in; I'm too scared to have them taken out
Matt

[b][url=http://www.studioscentral.com]Studios Central[/url]
[url=http://www.wdwtoday.com]WDW Today Podcast[/url]
[url=http://www.towerofterror.org/tower.html]TowerOfTerror.Org[/url][/b]

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Jul Mon 24, 2006 2:45 pm

My Dentist says my will, most likely, never have to come out. I only have three and they have enough space to grow in. Thank God I don't have to worry about impacted teeth.

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jrcohen » Jul Mon 24, 2006 3:19 pm

QuickGold wrote:I still have mine in; I'm too scared to have them taken out
Me too. They aren't bothering me, I'm not bothering them.
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

kristen
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by kristen » Jul Mon 24, 2006 8:54 pm

I had my bottom two out when I was 17 or 18. I was awake the entire time and crying my eyes out. I can feel a lot through the novocaine. It was just a very violent experience. They gave me some vicodin for afterwards but it didn't really do much. He says that my top ones will probably never have to come out.

broncoflyer8912
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by broncoflyer8912 » Jul Tue 25, 2006 5:05 pm

I had all four of mine removed when I was 18, I was real nervous about it, but they knocked me out so I wasnt as worried. I remember them attaching the IV and then like sitting there wondering how long it would take to affect me and then next thing I knew I was waking up with the doctor cleaning up and my dad sitting. They gave me pennicilin for infection and vicodin to help with the pain, but I never used the vicodin because afterwards I was never really in any pain, my jaw was just sore for like a week after the surgery, maybe I just have a high tolerance for pain.

Great story is that I actually went to DL with my best friend like a week and half after I got them pulled. I wasn't going to let anything stop me from going to DL thats for sure! :mickey:
Sometimes the bluest part of the sky seems so far away from us, I guess thats what keeps us striving for it...
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/8092/userbar517363if3.gif[/img][/url]

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Jul Mon 31, 2006 12:07 pm

Lion, glad to hear you survived! Scary procedure for me a couple of summers ago. I mean, getting them out was bad and anesthetics always make me hurl. The worst for me though, was that I got dry sockets and an infection so I wasn't eating real food even a month after it was over. That was evil indeed.
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.