2015 WDW Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Upcoming events and meet ups

Moderator: Moderators

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Posts: 410
Joined: Feb Tue 05, 2008 10:18 am
Location: Mount Holly, NC

2015 WDW Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Post by cccmouse » Mar Tue 17, 2015 3:04 pm

Well...Did any of the SSR/runDisney fans get in during the 30 minute window between 12:00 noon and 12:30 and get registered for the 2015 Wine and Dine Half before it sold out? I logged on at 12:02, waited almost 15 minutes to get into the site and apparently got registered with only about 5 minutes to spare. The other 2 people who planned to run with me were not so fortunate. They are now trying to get in through the various approved travel providers or through the various charities that are represented but it is not looking good. If this thing is completely selling out in 30 minutes, it might be time to add a second longer distance event during this weekend. Just a thought.

zhoover
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Posts: 172
Joined: May Fri 17, 2013 11:03 am

Re: 2015 WDW Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Post by zhoover » Mar Tue 17, 2015 3:40 pm

I managed to register for the half, but - holy cow - had a few tense moments where the site didn't seem to work. Already excited, but I feel bad for the runners who didn't make it. The popularity of these events is unreal. I will need a stiff drink to get through the Star Wars race weekend registration day this June.
Image

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Posts: 410
Joined: Feb Tue 05, 2008 10:18 am
Location: Mount Holly, NC

Re: 2015 WDW Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Post by cccmouse » Mar Tue 17, 2015 4:04 pm

zhoover wrote:I managed to register for the half, but - holy cow - had a few tense moments where the site didn't seem to work. Already excited, but I feel bad for the runners who didn't make it. The popularity of these events is unreal. I will need a stiff drink to get through the Star Wars race weekend registration day this June.

I know what you mean. I will be sitting in front of the computer counting down the minutes next month when registration opens up for marathon weekend in January.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18491
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: 2015 WDW Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Post by Amy » Mar Tue 17, 2015 8:58 pm

cccmouse wrote:
zhoover wrote:I managed to register for the half, but - holy cow - had a few tense moments where the site didn't seem to work. Already excited, but I feel bad for the runners who didn't make it. The popularity of these events is unreal. I will need a stiff drink to get through the Star Wars race weekend registration day this June.

I know what you mean. I will be sitting in front of the computer counting down the minutes next month when registration opens up for marathon weekend in January.
Craziness ~ they really do need to add another event don't they?

zhoover
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Posts: 172
Joined: May Fri 17, 2013 11:03 am

Re: 2015 WDW Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Post by zhoover » Mar Thu 19, 2015 12:13 pm

Amy wrote:Craziness ~ they really do need to add another event don't they?
Maybe... Seems like Disney's plan for race events at Walt Disney World is to use runDisney to drive up attendance during times when it might otherwise be low (January and February), but attendance is already pretty good that that time of year due to the Food and Wine festival (I assume? It certainly seemed like it this past November...). Another event might up the crazy ante a little too much.
Image

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18491
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: 2015 WDW Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Post by Amy » Mar Thu 19, 2015 12:51 pm

zhoover wrote:
Amy wrote:Craziness ~ they really do need to add another event don't they?
Maybe... Seems like Disney's plan for race events at Walt Disney World is to use runDisney to drive up attendance during times when it might otherwise be low (January and February), but attendance is already pretty good that that time of year due to the Food and Wine festival (I assume? It certainly seemed like it this past November...). Another event might up the crazy ante a little too much.
Good point

zhoover
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Posts: 172
Joined: May Fri 17, 2013 11:03 am

Re: 2015 WDW Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Post by zhoover » Mar Thu 19, 2015 3:07 pm

It's kind-of the opposite on the West Coast where nearly all the runDisney events are set during holiday weekends, when you'd think attendance would already be up (the Saturday night before the Star Wars half-marathon in Disneyland was certainly the most crowded I've ever felt in a Disney park). I don't understand it, and that's maybe why I'm a government attorney and not a theme park zillionaire!
Image

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Posts: 830
Joined: Sep Wed 16, 2009 10:30 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: 2015 WDW Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Mar Tue 24, 2015 7:17 pm

Mary and I got an entry! I was almost going to do it later that afternoon thinking "ahhh it's just wine and dine". Man I am glad I did it at noon sharp.

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Posts: 410
Joined: Feb Tue 05, 2008 10:18 am
Location: Mount Holly, NC

Re: 2015 WDW Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Post by cccmouse » Mar Mon 30, 2015 8:49 am

wewantsdaredhead wrote:Mary and I got an entry! I was almost going to do it later that afternoon thinking "ahhh it's just wine and dine". Man I am glad I did it at noon sharp.

I am glad that you jumped on it as soon as it opened and that you were able to get in.

zhoover
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Posts: 172
Joined: May Fri 17, 2013 11:03 am

Re: 2015 WDW Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Post by zhoover » Mar Tue 31, 2015 1:11 pm

As a reminder, non-runner tickets for the post-race party went on sale today. Just bought one for my wife!
Image

zhoover
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Posts: 172
Joined: May Fri 17, 2013 11:03 am

Re: 2015 WDW Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Post by zhoover » Jul Thu 02, 2015 10:57 am

On the subject of this race, I'm thrilled to be registered but also a little surprised it's running in 2015 at all since I assumed the cancellation of the Tower of Terror 10 Miler had something to do with to-be-announced construction later this year at the 'Studios. Anyone have insight?
Image

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Posts: 410
Joined: Feb Tue 05, 2008 10:18 am
Location: Mount Holly, NC

Re: 2015 WDW Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Post by cccmouse » Sep Fri 18, 2015 5:11 pm

We are now less than 50 days until the Wine and Dine half marathon. Is anyone doing anything different in their training as we come down the home stretch or is it business as usual? I am in the 40 miles per week range right now and by the first of November I should be up to about 50 miles per week (at least that is the plan).
I just made my Magical Express reservation earlier today so other than a couple of dining reservations I should be ready to go.

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Posts: 830
Joined: Sep Wed 16, 2009 10:30 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: 2015 WDW Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Sep Mon 21, 2015 10:09 am

cccmouse wrote:We are now less than 50 days until the Wine and Dine half marathon. Is anyone doing anything different in their training as we come down the home stretch or is it business as usual? I am in the 40 miles per week range right now and by the first of November I should be up to about 50 miles per week (at least that is the plan).
I just made my Magical Express reservation earlier today so other than a couple of dining reservations I should be ready to go.
Business as usual here---just putting more and more miles in. We are running a local event in Mid Oct, so we will peak for that here shortly. Then just maintain for W&D.

I will hit you up as we get closer to see what corral you are in etc...

Keep on running!

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Posts: 830
Joined: Sep Wed 16, 2009 10:30 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: 2015 WDW Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Oct Tue 27, 2015 6:30 am

About a week and a half out--everyone ready? We leave in 9 days.

We are ready--we feel great. We ran a local half two weeks ago and the cooler weather really helped with our pace.
Time to get excited!

Oh, we also got our gift cards in the mail yesterday.

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Posts: 410
Joined: Feb Tue 05, 2008 10:18 am
Location: Mount Holly, NC

Re: 2015 WDW Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Post by cccmouse » Nov Mon 02, 2015 7:58 pm

wewantsdaredhead wrote:About a week and a half out--everyone ready? We leave in 9 days.

We are ready--we feel great. We ran a local half two weeks ago and the cooler weather really helped with our pace.
Time to get excited!

Oh, we also got our gift cards in the mail yesterday.
Ready to go! This will be a short trip and I'll be traveling solo this time. Flying out of Charlotte about 7:30 Friday morning and flying back home Sunday afternoon around 2:00. I guess I can live with this since January will be a 7 day trip.
Hopefully we will run into each other sometime before or after the race.

Post Reply