Food debates

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

DisneySpin
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Posts: 178
Joined: Apr Thu 30, 2009 11:26 am
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Food debates

Post by DisneySpin » May Wed 01, 2013 2:53 am

Well, on the exotic versus familiar, I definitely like to try at least one exotic restaurant during a visit; to me, that just adds to the memories of that particular trip. Vacations are for Adventure!
As to atmosphere, it totally depends on the mood of the parties concerned - for fun with a group: non-traditional, but to actually hold a conversation - definitely the more traditional.
With all the choices there are, I'm never really expecting some 5 star experience, just a good meal and overall experience.
We're all mad here, I'm mad, you're mad."

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Posts: 2744
Joined: Apr Mon 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: Food debates

Post by theBIGyowski » May Wed 01, 2013 8:22 am

yes...we were waiting to eat...it was December 30th and so the wait was an hour or so...and I had to go to the bathroom

then on my way Steven Tyler also made his way to the bathroom from his table

it was 2001 so RnR was only a few years old...making him still look exactly like he did in the attraction
Image

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

rusafee1183
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Posts: 95
Joined: Feb Fri 20, 2009 8:30 pm
Location: pa

Re: Food debates

Post by rusafee1183 » May Sat 04, 2013 2:34 pm

We defintely like to experiment in vacation, but nothing TOO crazy. I don't want to pay $100 for a meal and leave disappointed.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Posts: 5531
Joined: Sep Sat 04, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Food debates

Post by Wizzard419 » May Sat 04, 2013 3:59 pm

It is always an odd place when going out, do you spend with the risk of being disappointed in something new or do you stick with the standards that will not excite (the missionary position of foods)? At the same time, Disney does keep tabs on the menus to keep guests from having to send back food because they didn't like it.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Posts: 2833
Joined: Jan Fri 21, 2011 8:47 am
Location: Greenwood, IN

Re: Food debates

Post by cy1229 » May Sat 04, 2013 5:33 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:It is always an odd place when going out, do you spend with the risk of being disappointed in something new or do you stick with the standards that will not excite (the missionary position of foods)? At the same time, Disney does keep tabs on the menus to keep guests from having to send back food because they didn't like it.
I don't know what you mean "keep tabs on the menus." Do you mean they keep track of what gets sent back? Or do you mean they make sure things are well-described?

Sometimes I'm adventurous when going to a restaurant, but if there's someplace that has something I just LOVE that I can't get anywhere else, I'll order it every single time. Seeing as I haven't really repeated at any Disney restaurants other than 'Ohana, and you don't really "pick" something there, I haven't invoked the "tried-and-true" method of dining. Wait, I do always eat lunch one time at Flame Tree BBQ. And Cosmic Ray's.

But that's it.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Posts: 5531
Joined: Sep Sat 04, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Food debates

Post by Wizzard419 » May Sat 04, 2013 7:19 pm

Actually, both of those, but what I was talking about was how the chefs (high end all the way down to the fast food) do not have unlimited choices for what is served. If you look at the cuts of meat served, for example, you will see cuts familiar to american tastes as opposed to things like tripe or even ox tails (outside of one location). The same goes for seasonings, so the food in the world showcase won't be fully authentic but it is something the customers will enjoy.

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Posts: 802
Joined: Jul Sun 31, 2011 7:40 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Food debates

Post by Goofyfan » May Sun 05, 2013 5:33 pm

rusafee1183 wrote:We defintely like to experiment in vacation, but nothing TOO crazy. I don't want to pay $100 for a meal and leave disappointed.

The only place that we were ever disappointed with was Hollywood and Vine. A cafateria type setting. The last time we were there in January of 2012. We ate there around 6:00 PM. there were only about 30 people in the whole place (which kind of scared us). Service was great, but the food was not to good. Definately not worth the $ 100.00 we spent there between the two of us. Next door at the 50's Diner, It was packed with lines out the door. :( :goofy:
Image

rusafee1183
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Posts: 95
Joined: Feb Fri 20, 2009 8:30 pm
Location: pa

Re: Food debates

Post by rusafee1183 » Jun Sun 23, 2013 9:23 am

Goofyfan wrote:
rusafee1183 wrote:We defintely like to experiment in vacation, but nothing TOO crazy. I don't want to pay $100 for a meal and leave disappointed.

The only place that we were ever disappointed with was Hollywood and Vine. A cafateria type setting. The last time we were there in January of 2012. We ate there around 6:00 PM. there were only about 30 people in the whole place (which kind of scared us). Service was great, but the food was not to good. Definately not worth the $ 100.00 we spent there between the two of us. Next door at the 50's Diner, It was packed with lines out the door. :( :goofy:
We did H&V years ago and we will never go back. The food was not good at all.

I actually think that most meals at DHS are not great. Luckily, Epcot is only a 20 minute stroll away and WS food can't be beat!

We tried cooking in the room a lot this past trip, and it worked out really well! We had a 1 BR villa and saved a TON of money on food and only ate out a few times. I didn't feel so sickening full, and saved a ton of $$$. We will definitely do that again!

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler
Posts: 5143
Joined: Sep Sun 02, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: Valparaiso IN

Re: Food debates

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Sun 21, 2013 2:04 pm

cy1229 wrote:Food debates?

I figured I'd have a place where we can do a "this or that" kind of discussion. I'll go first:

Dole Whip with or without juice?

I say with. I haven't had it without, but I loved the float. Loved loved loved it. Now I'm salivating heavily thinking about it. :)

Dole Whip float! I have noting else to add!!! :D Now I'm drooling on my keyboard!
Image
Image

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18491
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Food debates

Post by Amy » Jul Sun 21, 2013 2:42 pm

boilerbabe wrote:
cy1229 wrote:Food debates?

I figured I'd have a place where we can do a "this or that" kind of discussion. I'll go first:

Dole Whip with or without juice?

I say with. I haven't had it without, but I loved the float. Loved loved loved it. Now I'm salivating heavily thinking about it. :)

Dole Whip float! I have noting else to add!!! :D Now I'm drooling on my keyboard!
Are your feetsies also doing a little dance under the table? boilerbabe ~ long time no see!! :D

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler
Posts: 5143
Joined: Sep Sun 02, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: Valparaiso IN

Re: Food debates

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Sun 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Amy wrote:
boilerbabe wrote:
cy1229 wrote:Food debates?

I figured I'd have a place where we can do a "this or that" kind of discussion. I'll go first:

Dole Whip with or without juice?

I say with. I haven't had it without, but I loved the float. Loved loved loved it. Now I'm salivating heavily thinking about it. :)

Dole Whip float! I have noting else to add!!! :D Now I'm drooling on my keyboard!
Are your feetsies also doing a little dance under the table? boilerbabe ~ long time no see!! :D
But of course!!! :lol:
Image
Image

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Posts: 802
Joined: Jul Sun 31, 2011 7:40 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Food debates

Post by Goofyfan » Jul Mon 22, 2013 8:01 pm

boilerbabe wrote:
cy1229 wrote:Food debates?

I figured I'd have a place where we can do a "this or that" kind of discussion. I'll go first:

Dole Whip with or without juice?

I say with. I haven't had it without, but I loved the float. Loved loved loved it. Now I'm salivating heavily thinking about it. :)

Dole Whip float! I have noting else to add!!! :D Now I'm drooling on my keyboard!

Boilerbabe: Agreed :goofy: :D :goofy:
Image

Post Reply