Anyone going to Disney on Leap Day for 24 hours?

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18491
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Anyone going to Disney on Leap Day for 24 hours?

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 25, 2012 12:55 pm

disneylizzy wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:I'll probably be there at lunch, but I wouldn't make a special trip for it. I do wonder how packed it will be since it's the dead season and all.
I'm wondering about crowd levels too.

I think it would be cool to be there during more nighttime hours (something I don't usually do unless we stay overnight.) Maybe arrive after the last parade and just stay as long as we can. The parks are so magical at night & it would be pretty awesome to ride a bunch of rides at night when you usually only get 3-4 hours to do stuff in the dark.
The night time hours would be the best. I would think the crowd levels would be pretty low during the wee hours of the morning!

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Posts: 5531
Joined: Sep Sat 04, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Anyone going to Disney on Leap Day for 24 hours?

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Wed 25, 2012 2:40 pm

Have they posted any rules yet? I'm curious to see if they will not be selling tickets after a certain hour, not letting people in or closing the parking lot entry.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler
Posts: 5382
Joined: Apr Fri 17, 2009 11:30 pm
Location: The land of cheese and beer...

Re: Anyone going to Disney on Leap Day for 24 hours?

Post by MmeLeota » Jan Wed 25, 2012 2:48 pm

Amy wrote:
disneylizzy wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:I'll probably be there at lunch, but I wouldn't make a special trip for it. I do wonder how packed it will be since it's the dead season and all.
I'm wondering about crowd levels too.

I think it would be cool to be there during more nighttime hours (something I don't usually do unless we stay overnight.) Maybe arrive after the last parade and just stay as long as we can. The parks are so magical at night & it would be pretty awesome to ride a bunch of rides at night when you usually only get 3-4 hours to do stuff in the dark.
The night time hours would be the best. I would think the crowd levels would be pretty low during the wee hours of the morning!
That's what I was thinking too. I'm curious how crowded it will be in those after-midnight hours.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18491
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Anyone going to Disney on Leap Day for 24 hours?

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 25, 2012 2:53 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Have they posted any rules yet? I'm curious to see if they will not be selling tickets after a certain hour, not letting people in or closing the parking lot entry.
I did a bit of searching and couldn't come up with an conclusive "rules"
This is all I could find
*Select attractions, entertainment and services will be available for 24 hours. Subject to capacity restrictions. Valid theme park admission required.

And the official times are 6 am on 2/29 - 6 am on 3/1.
I wouldn't think they would allow admission all the way through the event, but who knows???
Last edited by Amy on Jan Wed 25, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Posts: 5531
Joined: Sep Sat 04, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Anyone going to Disney on Leap Day for 24 hours?

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Wed 25, 2012 3:35 pm

That is another good question as well, since this is a new thing, will their system be able to handle it? I'm wonder if you're allowed to leave and come back after midnight on NYE at DLR? The park normally closes at about 2 AM if I recall.

Their system has had issues in the past with time and date related things, one of them was that if you had a park hopper ticket and went to DCA and DLR, if DCA closed first, your ticket would expire and you would not be allowed into DLR.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18491
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Anyone going to Disney on Leap Day for 24 hours?

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 25, 2012 6:49 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:That is another good question as well, since this is a new thing, will their system be able to handle it? I'm wonder if you're allowed to leave and come back after midnight on NYE at DLR? The park normally closes at about 2 AM if I recall.

Their system has had issues in the past with time and date related things, one of them was that if you had a park hopper ticket and went to DCA and DLR, if DCA closed first, your ticket would expire and you would not be allowed into DLR.
That would stink ~ I sure hope they would let you in under circumstances like your ticket expiring at midnight for the other park!

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Posts: 5531
Joined: Sep Sat 04, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Anyone going to Disney on Leap Day for 24 hours?

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Wed 25, 2012 10:08 pm

I think they fixed the issue, it really wasn't a problem untill the lulls in 2001(pre summer I think) since they didn't account for their system thinking of both parks as one. That also brings up another question. Since ticket booths seem to stay open as long as the gates are open, if you buy a ticket after midnight, would it allow you back in after the park re-opens?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18491
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Anyone going to Disney on Leap Day for 24 hours?

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 26, 2012 7:44 am

Wizzard419 wrote:I think they fixed the issue, it really wasn't a problem untill the lulls in 2001(pre summer I think) since they didn't account for their system thinking of both parks as one. That also brings up another question. Since ticket booths seem to stay open as long as the gates are open, if you buy a ticket after midnight, would it allow you back in after the park re-opens?
Another good question. Hmmm, I wonder if any of our current CMs have any inside info on how the tickets and admission will work for 2/29??

disneylizzy
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Posts: 473
Joined: Aug Sun 16, 2009 6:51 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Anyone going to Disney on Leap Day for 24 hours?

Post by disneylizzy » Jan Fri 27, 2012 10:03 am

MmeLeota wrote:
Amy wrote:
disneylizzy wrote:I'll probably be there at lunch, but I wouldn't make a special trip for it. I do wonder how packed it will be since it's the dead season and all.
I'm wondering about crowd levels too.

I think it would be cool to be there during more nighttime hours (something I don't usually do unless we stay overnight.) Maybe arrive after the last parade and just stay as long as we can. The parks are so magical at night & it would be pretty awesome to ride a bunch of rides at night when you usually only get 3-4 hours to do stuff in the dark.
The night time hours would be the best. I would think the crowd levels would be pretty low during the wee hours of the morning!
That's what I was thinking too. I'm curious how crowded it will be in those after-midnight hours.[/quote]

Yes....thinking that might be the time to go! Anyone who a) has to work the next day, b) has small children, c) wants to hit another park early the next day - probably won't be there late night/early morning.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Posts: 2744
Joined: Apr Mon 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: Anyone going to Disney on Leap Day for 24 hours?

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Fri 27, 2012 2:47 pm

I'd be willing to bet most of the guests that will be on property on Feb 29th have no interest in being in MK after hours. They have probably had their trips planned far in advance already too...before the Leap Day announcement.
Image

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18491
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Anyone going to Disney on Leap Day for 24 hours?

Post by Amy » Jan Fri 27, 2012 11:19 pm

My friends were bugging me tonight. They were all sure I wouldn't miss this opportunity. They pretty much didn't believe me that I wasn't going to be able to make it which made me sad that I really am going to miss it :(
And I imagine you are right BIG. DL will probably have more people take advantage of the 24 hour offering since their guests consist more of locals.

disneylizzy
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Posts: 473
Joined: Aug Sun 16, 2009 6:51 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Anyone going to Disney on Leap Day for 24 hours?

Post by disneylizzy » Feb Fri 03, 2012 1:18 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:I'd be willing to bet most of the guests that will be on property on Feb 29th have no interest in being in MK after hours. They have probably had their trips planned far in advance already too...before the Leap Day announcement.
I think you're right - most people will have plans for the next day & will need that time for sleeping!

SorcererDonald16
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic
Posts: 125
Joined: Aug Fri 27, 2010 9:45 pm

Re: Anyone going to Disney on Leap Day for 24 hours?

Post by SorcererDonald16 » Feb Sun 05, 2012 5:13 am

If I lived anywhere near WDW could take vacation whenever, I would try it. It sounds like a lot of fun.

I used to be able to stay awake for 28+ hours when I had to pull all-nighters for college/grad school, but I can rarely manage that anymore. Maybe if I slept a lot the day before I could do it. A mid-afternoon nap sounds like the best plan for most people. Avoid the height of the crowds.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18491
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Anyone going to Disney on Leap Day for 24 hours?

Post by Amy » Feb Sun 05, 2012 7:49 am

SorcererDonald16 wrote:If I lived anywhere near WDW could take vacation whenever, I would try it. It sounds like a lot of fun.

I used to be able to stay awake for 28+ hours when I had to pull all-nighters for college/grad school, but I can rarely manage that anymore. Maybe if I slept a lot the day before I could do it. A mid-afternoon nap sounds like the best plan for most people. Avoid the height of the crowds.
If I could go, I would have to stay in the parks all 24 hours in order to soak in the whole experience. And to be able to say I spent 24 hours in the Magic Kingdom :D

SorcererDonald16
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic
Posts: 125
Joined: Aug Fri 27, 2010 9:45 pm

Re: Anyone going to Disney on Leap Day for 24 hours?

Post by SorcererDonald16 » Feb Sun 05, 2012 11:08 am

Amy wrote:If I could go, I would have to stay in the parks all 24 hours in order to soak in the whole experience. And to be able to say I spent 24 hours in the Magic Kingdom :D
True. I guess I would just have to load up on caffeine in soda form and sugary desserts and snacks to muddle though, haha.

A Dole Whip, a churro, a sweet cream cheese pretzel, banana bread pudding, and an ice cream cookie sandwich all in one day would probably keep me hopping for 2 days, not just 24 hrs. :donald:

Post Reply