Experiences with CMs- care to share?

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

icpscientist
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
Posts: 13
Joined: Jun Thu 02, 2011 6:39 pm

Re: Experiences with CMs- care to share?

Post by icpscientist » Jun Mon 20, 2011 6:04 pm

I still to this day think about two experiences that are at least 15 years ago:

1. At Haunted Mansion in WDW - end of the night, perhaps the last group into the stretching room... the room goes dark, and when the lights come on a CM is standing right next to my sister, staring her in the face. She jumped and we laughed so hard we nearly cried.

2. Big Thunder in DL - end of the night again... listening to a CM saying ominously over the P.A., "Be on the lookout for a bearded woman named Mike."

Apparently, the best CM interactions are at the end of the night.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader
Posts: 2486
Joined: Nov Fri 14, 2008 12:19 am
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: Experiences with CMs- care to share?

Post by Soarin08 » Jun Tue 21, 2011 2:08 pm

At the end of the night is when we're exhausted and we all know how people get when they're exhausted. :D
Image

Arete
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Posts: 598
Joined: Apr Mon 07, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Re: Experiences with CMs- care to share?

Post by Arete » Jul Sun 17, 2011 7:24 pm

I used to be a CM, way back in the day. :D

One really stands out to me, a great CM. My mom has a peanut allergy, and when she gets traces she ends up needing a wheelchair at the parks. Once upon a time we were both on the Great Movie RIde (not one of our favorites, to be honest). We ended up in the first row, right next to the CM. My mom made me sit by the CM and I got talking to him. He ended up showing us all the hidden Mickeys he could while he wasn't doing his spiel. It was awesome.

When I was a CM I worked in Parades. I would love to come watch the parades on my days off because all the characters would see me and make a big fuss. One time a little kid about 9 years old was sitting next to me, and he thought it was the best parade ever because the characters kept waving at us and coming over. He told me he wanted to be a CM when he grew up!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18491
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Experiences with CMs- care to share?

Post by Amy » Jul Sun 17, 2011 7:29 pm

Arete wrote:I used to be a CM, way back in the day. :D

One really stands out to me, a great CM. My mom has a peanut allergy, and when she gets traces she ends up needing a wheelchair at the parks. Once upon a time we were both on the Great Movie RIde (not one of our favorites, to be honest). We ended up in the first row, right next to the CM. My mom made me sit by the CM and I got talking to him. He ended up showing us all the hidden Mickeys he could while he wasn't doing his spiel. It was awesome.

When I was a CM I worked in Parades. I would love to come watch the parades on my days off because all the characters would see me and make a big fuss. One time a little kid about 9 years old was sitting next to me, and he thought it was the best parade ever because the characters kept waving at us and coming over. He told me he wanted to be a CM when he grew up!
That is great that you were able to have such a nice experience in the Great Movie Ride. Did that make you like it any better?
I want to sit next to you during a parade! I could get awesome pictures :D

Arete
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Posts: 598
Joined: Apr Mon 07, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Re: Experiences with CMs- care to share?

Post by Arete » Jul Sun 17, 2011 7:52 pm

Amy wrote:That is great that you were able to have such a nice experience in the Great Movie Ride. Did that make you like it any better?
I want to sit next to you during a parade! I could get awesome pictures :D
It's been too long since I was a CM now (12years, actually). Most of the performers were likely still in elementary school when I was there. :lol: Last time I still saw some familiar faces, though. I always wonder when I'll stop seeing people I worked with!

I'm ambivalent about the GMR. I prefer to be in the gangster section, and it's a good ride for the hot part of the day, but it's one I won't mind if I happen to miss it on a trip. I'd rank it as just ok. Plus the CM can really make or break it, and if you get a bad one it's no fun.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18491
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Experiences with CMs- care to share?

Post by Amy » Jul Sun 17, 2011 7:58 pm

Arete wrote:
Amy wrote:That is great that you were able to have such a nice experience in the Great Movie Ride. Did that make you like it any better?
I want to sit next to you during a parade! I could get awesome pictures :D
It's been too long since I was a CM now (12years, actually). Most of the performers were likely still in elementary school when I was there. :lol: Last time I still saw some familiar faces, though. I always wonder when I'll stop seeing people I worked with!

I'm ambivalent about the GMR. I prefer to be in the gangster section, and it's a good ride for the hot part of the day, but it's one I won't mind if I happen to miss it on a trip. I'd rank it as just ok. Plus the CM can really make or break it, and if you get a bad one it's no fun.
I know there are CM's who are there really long term. I swear at least two of the Lion King performers had been there when I last saw the show 10 years ago.
I totally agree about the CM's on the Great Movie Ride. We have had great CM's and so-so CM's. Obviously the show is better when you have a great CM :D

Arete
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Posts: 598
Joined: Apr Mon 07, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Re: Experiences with CMs- care to share?

Post by Arete » Jul Sun 17, 2011 8:32 pm

Amy wrote: I swear at least two of the Lion King performers had been there when I last saw the show 10 years ago.
That is so funny you mention that show in particular! :lol: That's usually the prime place I've seen people I used to know. I think they transferred over once upon a time and just stayed (most of the original performers came from the MK).

And of course there's the lifetime CM who opened the park as Snow White and has moved on to other face roles. I always want to hug her when I see her, and she still recognizes my face even if she maybe has forgotten my name. :D

Spolier!I case anyone is wondering, when Snow White gets old she becomes the Fairy Godmother. 8-)

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Posts: 802
Joined: Jul Sun 31, 2011 7:40 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Experiences with CMs- care to share?

Post by Goofyfan » Sep Thu 08, 2011 5:07 pm

My wife and I choose disney because... Well... It's Disney. We have had only one negative experience with a bus driver last October. Other than that, We are always impressed with the professionalism of the Disney cast members. last October we chose Disney for our 25th Anni. We could of done the Island or Cruise thing, but we love disney soooo much, thats where we decided to go. A Disney cm always seems to be polite and has a smile. My question is, What is like working for Disney. Do they treat you right. How are the wages? I am going to retire in about 10 years and always thought working a WDW part time would be awesome. Can you imagine working at a place where most people are happy. What a change that would be from seeing the worst in most people.
Image

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler
Posts: 5382
Joined: Apr Fri 17, 2009 11:30 pm
Location: The land of cheese and beer...

Re: Experiences with CMs- care to share?

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Thu 08, 2011 6:04 pm

I recently had a CM call me a princess...it's a small thing, but it kinda made my day, since I haven't been called that since I was a kid. :D

A little background on this next one. We were in Anaheim for hubby's birthday one year, but couldn't go to the parks (torture, I know :shock: ). But we did have time to check out Downtown Disney for a couple of hours. We stopped in World of Disney to do a little shopping. While checking out, hubby mentioned that it was his birthday. The CM grabbed a box they had behind the counter and pulled out a "Happy Birthday" button and filled it out for him. Somewhere in conversation, the subject of our anniversary happened to come up and though we told him it was still several months away, he proceeded to grab the box again and filled out 2 "Happy Anniversary" buttons for us to wear "when we're celebrating".
So after our amazing interaction with this one CM, hubby put on his button and we wandered around DTD for a while. Every single CM we ran into smiled at him and wished him a Happy Birthday...he told me later on that he didn't care if we didn't get to go inside the parks...he felt like he had been there all day with all the CM's wishing him Happy Birthday.

We also met a wonderful CM while at the expo. We even made the effort to see her while she was working 2 days after the expo! We'll have to keep an eye out each time we go now...we love chatting it up with the CM's.

It's the little things that truly go the distance.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18491
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Experiences with CMs- care to share?

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 08, 2011 6:32 pm

Goofyfan wrote:My wife and I choose disney because... Well... It's Disney. We have had only one negative experience with a bus driver last October. Other than that, We are always impressed with the professionalism of the Disney cast members. last October we chose Disney for our 25th Anni. We could of done the Island or Cruise thing, but we love disney soooo much, thats where we decided to go. A Disney cm always seems to be polite and has a smile. My question is, What is like working for Disney. Do they treat you right. How are the wages? I am going to retire in about 10 years and always thought working a WDW part time would be awesome. Can you imagine working at a place where most people are happy. What a change that would be from seeing the worst in most people.
I think if you are retiring and want a retirement job you might be ok. I don't think the pay is wonderful...especially for the cost of living down there, but since you would not be trying to save up for retirement you might be ok. I've heard both good and bad things about how employees are treated. I think living close enough and having free entrance in the parks would be the biggest perk of working there.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18491
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Experiences with CMs- care to share?

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 08, 2011 6:35 pm

MmeLeota wrote:I recently had a CM call me a princess...it's a small thing, but it kinda made my day, since I haven't been called that since I was a kid. :D

A little background on this next one. We were in Anaheim for hubby's birthday one year, but couldn't go to the parks (torture, I know :shock: ). But we did have time to check out Downtown Disney for a couple of hours. We stopped in World of Disney to do a little shopping. While checking out, hubby mentioned that it was his birthday. The CM grabbed a box they had behind the counter and pulled out a "Happy Birthday" button and filled it out for him. Somewhere in conversation, the subject of our anniversary happened to come up and though we told him it was still several months away, he proceeded to grab the box again and filled out 2 "Happy Anniversary" buttons for us to wear "when we're celebrating".
So after our amazing interaction with this one CM, hubby put on his button and we wandered around DTD for a while. Every single CM we ran into smiled at him and wished him a Happy Birthday...he told me later on that he didn't care if we didn't get to go inside the parks...he felt like he had been there all day with all the CM's wishing him Happy Birthday.

We also met a wonderful CM while at the expo. We even made the effort to see her while she was working 2 days after the expo! We'll have to keep an eye out each time we go now...we love chatting it up with the CM's.

It's the little things that truly go the distance.
Isn't it fun to be called a princess every once in a while?!
That is so nice that you felt so at home in DTD. That is true Disney there that all the CMs would notice his pin and remark on it.
I'm sure you also made that CM's day when you made a special effort to find her in the parks after seeing her at the expo. I've seen time and time again how much the CM's appreciate it when you can share photos of them on-stage. It might not be as big a deal anymore since the digital revolution, but when we were at DL about 12 or 13 years ago, the CM on the riverboat was pleased as punch that we took his photo and sent it to him after we printed it out. I believe he was a CP CM...

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler
Posts: 5382
Joined: Apr Fri 17, 2009 11:30 pm
Location: The land of cheese and beer...

Re: Experiences with CMs- care to share?

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Thu 08, 2011 6:47 pm

I think I even blushed a little, to be honest... :oops:

The whole DTD thing blew us both away!

That was really cool of you to share the picture with the CM. That's a good point...I'm sure they don't get many pics of themselves on stage. I hope to be able to share our pic with her as well...not sure when we're going back though... (got a WDW trip to plan after all... ;) )

ntgre
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Posts: 77
Joined: Aug Wed 31, 2011 4:31 am
Location: Winchester

Re: Experiences with CMs- care to share?

Post by ntgre » Oct Fri 07, 2011 2:46 am

Is it actually that easy to start a chat with a CM in for example WDW, even though you haven't met them before. I tried in HKDL, and they were so busy that they kind of ignored me. :(
Image
Image

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18491
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Experiences with CMs- care to share?

Post by Amy » Oct Fri 07, 2011 6:32 am

ntgre wrote:Is it actually that easy to start a chat with a CM in for example WDW, even though you haven't met them before. I tried in HKDL, and they were so busy that they kind of ignored me. :(
I found that to be the case in all of the overseas parks. I even tried striking up a conversation in Japanese at TDL, but they just aren't the same "friends with everyone we meet" page as WDW seems to be. The experience is still awesome though!

ntgre
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Posts: 77
Joined: Aug Wed 31, 2011 4:31 am
Location: Winchester

Re: Experiences with CMs- care to share?

Post by ntgre » Oct Fri 07, 2011 7:57 am

Amy wrote:I found that to be the case in all of the overseas parks. I even tried striking up a conversation in Japanese at TDL, but they just aren't the same "friends with everyone we meet" page as WDW seems to be. The experience is still awesome though!
Is there so many CMs in WDW's MK that every metre you walk, there will be a CM nearby?
Image
Image

Post Reply