Pirates Disneyland v's Disney World

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
jlpeaches255
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Posts: 437
Joined: Apr Fri 04, 2008 10:15 am
Location: New England

Re: Pirates Disneyland v's Disney World

Post by jlpeaches255 » Oct Tue 26, 2010 7:19 pm

NaCler wrote:Or... how about a restaurant in the Burning Town scene? That would be pretty cool... or hot... whatever. :D
I like that one!

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 6842
Joined: Jun Sun 25, 2006 12:11 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tn
Contact:

Re: Pirates Disneyland v's Disney World

Post by Jacca5660 » Oct Tue 26, 2010 7:22 pm

jlpeaches255 wrote:
NaCler wrote:Or... how about a restaurant in the Burning Town scene? That would be pretty cool... or hot... whatever. :D
I like that one!

They could make a grill!! ;+>

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Posts: 3696
Joined: Jul Sun 06, 2008 7:23 pm
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Re: Pirates Disneyland v's Disney World

Post by Mousekedude » Nov Mon 01, 2010 7:54 am

After reading Doctor R's extensive forensic analysis of what it would take to rework POTC in WDW, I'm of the opinion that it just wouldn't be worth doing. That's a heck of a lot of hassle and expense just to marginally improve one ride. Also, it seems Disney is more interested in investing in up-and-coming stuff these days, not reworking old-school stuff like Pirates... as popular as it may still be. So yeah, there's been a lot of good ideas here, but I seriously doubt the decision makers at Disney would really give them any serious thought. :(

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 6842
Joined: Jun Sun 25, 2006 12:11 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tn
Contact:

Re: Pirates Disneyland v's Disney World

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Mon 01, 2010 10:38 am

See what Wizzard419 (READ EISNER) thinks.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 10954
Joined: Sep Sun 06, 2009 8:53 am
Location: 76 Totters Lane

Re: Pirates Disneyland v's Disney World

Post by mindflipper » Nov Mon 01, 2010 2:50 pm

Mousekedude wrote:After reading Doctor R's extensive forensic analysis of what it would take to rework POTC in WDW, I'm of the opinion that it just wouldn't be worth doing. That's a heck of a lot of hassle and expense just to marginally improve one ride. Also, it seems Disney is more interested in investing in up-and-coming stuff these days, not reworking old-school stuff like Pirates... as popular as it may still be. So yeah, there's been a lot of good ideas here, but I seriously doubt the decision makers at Disney would really give them any serious thought. :(
They would only re-work old attractions if its not too costly, such as when they added Capt. Sparrow et al into the POTC. To massively re-do the entire building and ride - like they did with DLR's Space Mountain - is very rare..

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Posts: 2561
Joined: Dec Thu 29, 2005 11:22 pm
Location: Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty.......

Re: Pirates Disneyland v's Disney World

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Nov Mon 01, 2010 6:17 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Mousekedude wrote:After reading Doctor R's extensive forensic analysis of what it would take to rework POTC in WDW, I'm of the opinion that it just wouldn't be worth doing. That's a heck of a lot of hassle and expense just to marginally improve one ride. Also, it seems Disney is more interested in investing in up-and-coming stuff these days, not reworking old-school stuff like Pirates... as popular as it may still be. So yeah, there's been a lot of good ideas here, but I seriously doubt the decision makers at Disney would really give them any serious thought. :(
They would only re-work old attractions if its not too costly, such as when they added Capt. Sparrow et al into the POTC. To massively re-do the entire building and ride - like they did with DLR's Space Mountain - is very rare..
Don't forget It's a Small World in DL, and Haunted Mansion in WDW.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 10954
Joined: Sep Sun 06, 2009 8:53 am
Location: 76 Totters Lane

Re: Pirates Disneyland v's Disney World

Post by mindflipper » Nov Mon 01, 2010 11:52 pm

Dr. Ravenscroft wrote:
mindflipper wrote:
Mousekedude wrote:After reading Doctor R's extensive forensic analysis of what it would take to rework POTC in WDW, I'm of the opinion that it just wouldn't be worth doing. That's a heck of a lot of hassle and expense just to marginally improve one ride. Also, it seems Disney is more interested in investing in up-and-coming stuff these days, not reworking old-school stuff like Pirates... as popular as it may still be. So yeah, there's been a lot of good ideas here, but I seriously doubt the decision makers at Disney would really give them any serious thought. :(
They would only re-work old attractions if its not too costly, such as when they added Capt. Sparrow et al into the POTC. To massively re-do the entire building and ride - like they did with DLR's Space Mountain - is very rare..
Don't forget It's a Small World in DL, and Haunted Mansion in WDW.
The building and the ride (track, etc.) didn't change - just the decor. Characters were added/subsituted in IASW in DLR, while the HM at WDW pictures changed, a room of stairways where there was an empty room of spiders, and a change-out of the attic to a new theme and new bride (the attic was replicated from a change-over done at the HM at DLR). Like the POTC changes, the building and the ride (track for boats, doombuggies, etc.) stayed the same.

Now the IASW at WDW did have a massive re-do sometime back. The building itself went through some restoration, the entire attraction was drained, and the floor/foundation was ripped out and replaced. The boarding area was completely renovated with a new theme. I gather that took some $$$. I read that much of the renovations would have allowed IASW at WDW to be able to have the holiday overlay, and yet they still have not done it yet..

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18485
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Pirates Disneyland v's Disney World

Post by Amy » Nov Tue 02, 2010 5:22 am

mindflipper wrote:...Now the IASW at WDW did have a massive re-do sometime back. The building itself went through some restoration, the entire attraction was drained, and the floor/foundation was ripped out and replaced. The boarding area was completely renovated with a new theme. I gather that took some $$$. I read that much of the renovations would have allowed IASW at WDW to be able to have the holiday overlay, and yet they still have not done it yet..
They don't do the holiday overlay at IASW in WDW?! :(

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 10954
Joined: Sep Sun 06, 2009 8:53 am
Location: 76 Totters Lane

Re: Pirates Disneyland v's Disney World

Post by mindflipper » Nov Tue 02, 2010 11:13 am

There are NO holiday overlays at any attractions at WDW

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18485
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Pirates Disneyland v's Disney World

Post by Amy » Nov Tue 02, 2010 11:30 am

mindflipper wrote:There are NO holiday overlays at any attractions at WDW
Shoot! We've been to DL the last few trips so I guess I've been spoiled!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 10954
Joined: Sep Sun 06, 2009 8:53 am
Location: 76 Totters Lane

Re: Pirates Disneyland v's Disney World

Post by mindflipper » Nov Tue 02, 2010 11:48 am

Amy wrote:
mindflipper wrote:There are NO holiday overlays at any attractions at WDW
Shoot! We've been to DL the last few trips so I guess I've been spoiled!
I know year after year of holiday overlays at DLR and TDL (and I gather DLP is getting a holiday overlay for IASW?), but never a holiday overlay for WDW... :cry: :evil:

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 6842
Joined: Jun Sun 25, 2006 12:11 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tn
Contact:

Re: Pirates Disneyland v's Disney World

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Tue 02, 2010 11:54 am

WDW does decorate the castle! It's also has the Osborne lights.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 10954
Joined: Sep Sun 06, 2009 8:53 am
Location: 76 Totters Lane

Re: Pirates Disneyland v's Disney World

Post by mindflipper » Nov Tue 02, 2010 12:08 pm

Other than Main Street and the castle, WDW MK is pretty bare compared to DLR MK. You have Mardi Gras Christmas in New Orleans Square, Fronteirland has wreaths made from tumbleweeds, horse shows and boots, and Fantasyland is decorated as well. At WDW MK the last time I was there for Christmas, you couldn't find a decoration in Fantasyland, Liberty Square or Fronteirland.

DLR does do more with Christmas decorating than WDW, but I guess it just depends upon their management what effort and what extent of decorating each does.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 6842
Joined: Jun Sun 25, 2006 12:11 pm
Location: Chattanooga Tn
Contact:

Re: Pirates Disneyland v's Disney World

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Tue 02, 2010 12:11 pm

mindflipper wrote:Other than Main Street and the castle, WDW MK is pretty bare compared to DLR MK. You have Mardi Gras Christmas in New Orleans Square, Fronteirland has wreaths made from tumbleweeds, horse shows and boots, and Fantasyland is decorated as well. At WDW MK the last time I was there for Christmas, you couldn't find a decoration in Fantasyland, Liberty Square or Fronteirland.

DLR does do more with Christmas decorating than WDW, but I guess it just depends upon their management what effort and what extent of decorating each does.
I also think it's about cost vs bonus calculations. WDW management is more worried about keeping money in their pockets then they are about the actual parks!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Posts: 1209
Joined: May Tue 29, 2007 2:42 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Pirates Disneyland v's Disney World

Post by kcarts » Nov Thu 04, 2010 7:28 am

Jacca5660 wrote:
mindflipper wrote:Other than Main Street and the castle, WDW MK is pretty bare compared to DLR MK. You have Mardi Gras Christmas in New Orleans Square, Fronteirland has wreaths made from tumbleweeds, horse shows and boots, and Fantasyland is decorated as well. At WDW MK the last time I was there for Christmas, you couldn't find a decoration in Fantasyland, Liberty Square or Fronteirland.

DLR does do more with Christmas decorating than WDW, but I guess it just depends upon their management what effort and what extent of decorating each does.
I also think it's about cost vs bonus calculations. WDW management is more worried about keeping money in their pockets then they are about the actual parks!
I think WDW concentrates more on Epcot and the resorts during the Christmas season. I certainly don't think it has to do with keeping money in thier pocket.

Post Reply