Any other thrill ride chickens here?

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Nov Sun 09, 2008 11:47 pm

Test Track really isn't 'scary' at all. I mean, it's an open vehicle and stuff, but if you think about it, max speed is around 60 mph, which you probably did on your way to the park at some point.

I would strongly, strongly encourage you to do Splash Mountain, though. The drop is a little scary, true (though you get used to it), but really if you just hold onto the hand rail thingie inside the log, the big drop is over really quickly. And before that, you get to see one of the best rides Disney Imagineering ever came up with. :)
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Nov Mon 10, 2008 3:29 am

I was the biggest thrill ride chicken of the lot, I wouldn't even ride thunder mountain. However DH loves thrill rides so slowly he introduced me to them, We started with barnstormer and worked up.

Now I can ride most of them Everest looked scary from the outside but boy is that ride smooth.

Splash still is not good the drop makes me feel sick for ages afterwards thankfully it is usually closed when we go in Feb so I don,t have to go on it.

One ride I am not getting on is TOT, just the look of it scares me to death.

Josh Q
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Josh Q » Nov Tue 11, 2008 11:28 am

But TOT is so fun! Although if you are like one of my really good friends where drops make his stomach sick I would not recomend TOT. I miss the TOT in WDW though, I'm out here in Cali. our TOT is just slightly different than the WDW TOT.
Our Theme Park Podcast is back! http://www.themeparktalk.com

Donalds1Fan
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by Donalds1Fan » Nov Thu 13, 2008 3:36 am

It took me many years to try most of the thrill rides at WDW. I'm just not a coaster person for starters, and beyond that, I don't like feeling terrified on a ride. I've never been to Universal because I know I would be too chicken to go on most of those rides. That said, I have since ridden: Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, and Everest. It took me 15 years and 10 trips to work up the nerve to ride Splash, and I think 12 years and 7 trips to ride Tower of Terror. I enjoyed them all, although the backwards part of Everest still scares the daylights out of me. I've ridden Kali as well, but I found that lacking in thrill. Only thing it wasn't lacking was water! :lol:

I've ridden Star Tours and Body Wars as well, but don't consider them to be thrill rides. Test Track and Big Thunder MR have never bothered me, and I was never nervous to ride them. Love them both.

I refuse to go on Mission: Space and Rock 'n Roller Coaster because of my dislike of going upside down. I don't like things jumping out at me either, so no Dinosaur. And I'm not a fan of rides in total darkness, so I've never ridden Space Mountain. I would like to try that one though.

sherabby
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by sherabby » Nov Thu 13, 2008 7:55 am

My son (8) won't go on Pirates because of the drop! We both have motion sickness issues so we do not go on rides that loop or spin. He also doesn't like coasters..that belly drop feeling. I love them though! We have a park nearby called Kennywood and they have a few wooden coasters....those are my favorites!
[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1251097102.jpg[/img]

disneylandmom
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylandmom » Nov Thu 13, 2008 12:45 pm

I can understand being a chicken when it comes to thrill rides. I posted a thread over a year ago where I was trying to get over my fear of TOT. Here's the link if your interested viewtopic.php?t=3439

I really appreciated the support of the people that responded to that post as it sure helped me get over my phobia of TOT.

I highly encourage you to get past your fear and try and enjoy the rides.

As one of the responders to my post said to me....Just give it a try it's not like your going to die. (or something to that effect) anyway I can say that I took that advice and I am still alive and well.

The more you do the thrill rides the less scary they seem.

You shouldn't feel bad if you just can't get past it. It took me a couple of years to get past my fear of TOT. My family now wants me to do The Maliboomer at CA but luckily for me I think that will be torn down soon. I know I'd never do that one.

reiki1
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by reiki1 » Jan Mon 26, 2009 11:40 pm

I am not a big fan of Thrill rides...but I trust Disney. I make a point to ride everything at least once. I admit that big Thunder and Rockin Rollercoaster are favorites - I have not gotten up the nerve for Everest..but i will most definately get on it....I am also overdo for Splash, Space and Big Thunder. I am not sure if i can get on Tof T now that it is just seat belts...but who knows....I tell my friend that a good stiff drink will cure my nerves almost every time!

Esmeralda

Post by Esmeralda » Jan Tue 27, 2009 8:46 am

For the most part I'm not chicken, just sea-sick. Tower of Terror is another story though (yes, my imagination is a little too powerful), but I'm sure I'll be back on it again someday. It is fun to explore more details of the parks while some in the family ride those upside-down, spinny, in the dark type rides!

I wouldn't be too worried about Test Track, and if you go during the day it isn't bad at all. Oh, and if you try Splash Mountain (the theming is amazing!), be sure to ride twice. The first time I rode, I didn't notice anything because I was so worried about that big drop!
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

MW1218
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MW1218 » Jan Tue 27, 2009 9:31 am

When people I go with are trying to overcome a bad case of nerves, I usually take them to where the people who just rode are exiting the attraction. Just seeing the happy faces and hearing people get so excited about the ride is usually enough to convince the person that everything is going to be fine, and that they might be missing out on a great experience if they don't do it.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jan Tue 27, 2009 12:56 pm

I'm a thrill ride junkie!! My boys and I have even been on the sky coaster over on Hwy 192. They can't make em scary enough!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

disneylandmom
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylandmom » Jan Tue 27, 2009 1:13 pm

MW1218 wrote:When people I go with are trying to overcome a bad case of nerves, I usually take them to where the people who just rode are exiting the attraction. Just seeing the happy faces and hearing people get so excited about the ride is usually enough to convince the person that everything is going to be fine, and that they might be missing out on a great experience if they don't do it.
I agree with this. However when I finally went on Tower of Terror my husband took my daughter to this area to wait for me and show her how happy everyone was and to look at the photos. But there was a CM there that told my daughter how terrifying the ride is and that she would never go on it. Needless to say my daughter is very convinced after that to not go on this ride.

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jan Tue 27, 2009 1:24 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:I'm a thrill ride junkie!! My boys and I have even been on the sky coaster over on Hwy 192. They can't make em scary enough!
Me too, the sky coaster is the best, such a thrill knowing there is just this harness preventing you from plummeting to certain doom, or at least permanent injury. My next goal is skydiving, but I can't find anyone to do it with me. I don't want to risk life and limb alone, that's no fun.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jan Tue 27, 2009 2:12 pm

agingerbugg wrote:
Jacca5660 wrote:I'm a thrill ride junkie!! My boys and I have even been on the sky coaster over on Hwy 192. They can't make em scary enough!
Me too, the sky coaster is the best, such a thrill knowing there is just this harness preventing you from plummeting to certain doom, or at least permanent injury. My next goal is skydiving, but I can't find anyone to do it with me. I don't want to risk life and limb alone, that's no fun.
Being a fellow Gator I know you are fearless! My wife won't let me go skydiving until I can afford a 10 million dollar life insurance! She figures she should be able to profit from my stupidity. May be someday we'll be able to take the leap together! Remember it's not the fall that'll get ya...It's the sudden stop! ;+>
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jan Thu 29, 2009 10:10 am

Jacca5660 wrote:
agingerbugg wrote:My wife won't let me go skydiving until I can afford a 10 million dollar life insurance! She figures she should be able to profit from my stupidity.
I know what you mean, my SO is the same.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Jan Thu 29, 2009 1:12 pm

I'm less of a Chicken and more of a medical issue. I was riding Mission Space back in 03', when it first came out, and I started to notice that I was blacking out. Luckily the ride ended before anything happened. I thought it was just a one off, but when I got back home I went to my doctor, they did tests and found out that I have a bit I a blood flow problem, small veins in my neck. I'm not talking about half sized or anything but it is a 10% reduction in size. This is enough to cause me to black out easily on thrill rides. This is a terrible prospect for me considering that is you pass out on a roller coaster you can easily snap your neck, or at least hurt it severely, when the ride makes a sharp turn or something.
[img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4131/userbar460642qi2.gif[/img][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5236/userbar460651xq4.gif[/img]
[img]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7677/userbar461525mz8.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneymountainrides.com/_i/banners/bar/SR_siteadmin.gif[/img]

*****Site Admin*****
[url=http://www.twitter.com/travenscroft]twitter[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/49f5nd]plurk[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/556rz4]Flickr[/url] |