What rides have you been stuck on when they broke down?

In relation to Disney Parks but not specific to a single resort

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18489
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: What rides have you been stuck on when they broke down?

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 29, 2015 8:47 am

Polynesian Princess wrote:No, they didn't. I was hoping they might just send our cars around for another loop, but they unloaded everyone as though nothing had happened. It was near or shortly after park closing and I think they were trying to hurry everyone through so they could be done for the night. I thought about talking to a CM, but since we were near the end of our trip and weren't planning on returning to Epcot again, I decided not to worry about it.
Ah, yes, that makes sense with it being late at night then. I suppose they would have given a FP good for the next day if someone had asked.

Bunni
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Posts: 18
Joined: Jan Mon 26, 2009 7:08 am

Re: What rides have you been stuck on when they broke down?

Post by Bunni » May Thu 14, 2015 3:49 am

One of my favourites was getting evac'd on the Maelstrom back in 2001 and we had to walk most of the ride to get out! Getting stuck on on Grizzly river run last summer was not good! We were right at the top and had to wait for the whole thing to drain and the sun was scorching that day. We were all entertained by a little 8 year old Australian boy who had come on his own talking about his time at Disney then laughing because his parents probably were wondering where he was >.< And finally Phantom Manor in DLRP we got to walk pretty much the entire ride. It was so cool to see all the effects etc which were still running :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18489
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: What rides have you been stuck on when they broke down?

Post by Amy » May Thu 14, 2015 6:39 am

Bunni wrote:One of my favourites was getting evac'd on the Maelstrom back in 2001 and we had to walk most of the ride to get out! Getting stuck on on Grizzly river run last summer was not good! We were right at the top and had to wait for the whole thing to drain and the sun was scorching that day. We were all entertained by a little 8 year old Australian boy who had come on his own talking about his time at Disney then laughing because his parents probably were wondering where he was >.< And finally Phantom Manor in DLRP we got to walk pretty much the entire ride. It was so cool to see all the effects etc which were still running :D
Those all sound like fun ~ even Grizzly River Run since you had some entertainment!

Bunni
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Posts: 18
Joined: Jan Mon 26, 2009 7:08 am

Re: What rides have you been stuck on when they broke down?

Post by Bunni » May Tue 19, 2015 2:09 am

Amy wrote:
Bunni wrote:One of my favourites was getting evac'd on the Maelstrom back in 2001 and we had to walk most of the ride to get out! Getting stuck on on Grizzly river run last summer was not good! We were right at the top and had to wait for the whole thing to drain and the sun was scorching that day. We were all entertained by a little 8 year old Australian boy who had come on his own talking about his time at Disney then laughing because his parents probably were wondering where he was >.< And finally Phantom Manor in DLRP we got to walk pretty much the entire ride. It was so cool to see all the effects etc which were still running :D
Those all sound like fun ~ even Grizzly River Run since you had some entertainment!
Yes great experiences! would loved to walk through Haunted mansion at WDW or the haunted mansion holiday in California this September. It is great getting to see all the details up close and the work that has gone into creating a ride :D

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Posts: 2833
Joined: Jan Fri 21, 2011 8:47 am
Location: Greenwood, IN

Re: What rides have you been stuck on when they broke down?

Post by cy1229 » May Tue 19, 2015 9:39 am

It would make a really cool tour. Maybe before park opening, or after park closing, to be able to walk through some of the rides and see some stuff up close.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

SeattleSuz
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Posts: 37
Joined: Oct Wed 09, 2013 4:53 pm

Re: What rides have you been stuck on when they broke down?

Post by SeattleSuz » Jun Tue 02, 2015 12:32 pm

Twice in one trip to WDW, we got stuck on Haunted Mansion. DD was a little freaked out, cuz it was so dark.
Image Image

JWG
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Posts: 480
Joined: May Wed 16, 2007 8:57 am
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes

Re: What rides have you been stuck on when they broke down?

Post by JWG » Jun Wed 24, 2015 4:30 pm

My first trip to WDW was 1983 (ah the glory days - an original EPCOT Center...) and the one thing I remember is getting stuck on Space Mountain. We were in the launch tunnel with the flashing blue lights before you make the turn up the lift hill. It was my dad and I at the end of the night. I was asked what one ride would I like to do before we left and that was the pick. Anyway, we were stuck in that launch tunnel for about 45 minutes with those darn blinking blue lights - it was a big awful. Eventually, they started sending each care through 1 by 1 with the lights on. They started with those closest to the end but still at a breaking spot so we were the last care to get sent through since we hadn't even hit the lift hill yet.

Getting to go through Space Mountain, with the lights on, as the only car on the rails was awesome. Now, getting to see what Space Mountain really is -- a bit scary. Anyway 32 years later and I still remember that vividly. I think my mom was scared we'd run off without her. No cell phones back then so she had no idea where we were.

To this day, I still hope for things like that to happen. While we've had short moments of being stuck on rides - nothing to that effect has happened again. Haven't been evacuated, haven't gone through with nothing working (there's a creepy youtube video out there of people going through Splash with everything off - no animitronic movement or music), etc.
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/HeathenAngel/Avatars%20Etc/epcot-fan.gif[/img][/url][url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w251/budz211/horizons.gif[/img][/url]
[img]http://www.disneypedia.org/_i/banners/bar/space-mountain2.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneypedia.org/_i/banners/bar/SR_fan.gif[/img]

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18489
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: What rides have you been stuck on when they broke down?

Post by Amy » Jun Wed 24, 2015 7:48 pm

JWG wrote:My first trip to WDW was 1983 (ah the glory days - an original EPCOT Center...) and the one thing I remember is getting stuck on Space Mountain. We were in the launch tunnel with the flashing blue lights before you make the turn up the lift hill. It was my dad and I at the end of the night. I was asked what one ride would I like to do before we left and that was the pick. Anyway, we were stuck in that launch tunnel for about 45 minutes with those darn blinking blue lights - it was a big awful. Eventually, they started sending each care through 1 by 1 with the lights on. They started with those closest to the end but still at a breaking spot so we were the last care to get sent through since we hadn't even hit the lift hill yet.

Getting to go through Space Mountain, with the lights on, as the only car on the rails was awesome. Now, getting to see what Space Mountain really is -- a bit scary. Anyway 32 years later and I still remember that vividly. I think my mom was scared we'd run off without her. No cell phones back then so she had no idea where we were.

To this day, I still hope for things like that to happen. While we've had short moments of being stuck on rides - nothing to that effect has happened again. Haven't been evacuated, haven't gone through with nothing working (there's a creepy youtube video out there of people going through Splash with everything off - no animitronic movement or music), etc.
Neat ~ I can imagine your poor Mom being so worried! I went to EPCOT in 1983 as my second trip to WDW, so I remember the original EPCOT as well ~ so many fond memories :D

octoberbarry
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Posts: 71
Joined: May Sat 12, 2007 6:13 am

Re: What rides have you been stuck on when they broke down?

Post by octoberbarry » Aug Wed 19, 2015 9:03 am

It's a Small World...Oy...a great ride that quickly becomes a head banger... :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

IMFearless
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Posts: 365
Joined: Jul Tue 08, 2008 9:50 pm

Re: What rides have you been stuck on when they broke down?

Post by IMFearless » Nov Sat 07, 2015 10:48 pm

The most times I've ever been on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in one trip was 44.9. .9 because the very last ride that trip, we were stuck on the last brake run next to the geysers. I get the feeling something happened in station so we couldn't pull all the way in, so we were stuck for a few minutes and then they opened the lapbars and we got to walk the rest of the way out. I was so badly wishing I had a camera, and was more than a little tempted to just bend down and touch my beloved track but was worried it was electrified or something XD

Park was about to close then and we were on our way out and I think that might have been the last family trip before I started college - family used to go once or twice a year for long trips up to that point, and since then I've only been back a couple times for only a week apiece because adulting is hard and everything. So I think that was one of my last memories of the park for a years, and I quite liked it.
()()()()
___..._
|...|.. V
+-+--+ The wildest ride in the wilderness!
+-----+
()()....O

[url=http://ubdesigner.com]
Forwhating?
Hi everybody! I'm a corporate symbol!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18489
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: What rides have you been stuck on when they broke down?

Post by Amy » Nov Sun 08, 2015 8:25 am

IMFearless wrote:The most times I've ever been on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in one trip was 44.9. .9 because the very last ride that trip, we were stuck on the last brake run next to the geysers. I get the feeling something happened in station so we couldn't pull all the way in, so we were stuck for a few minutes and then they opened the lapbars and we got to walk the rest of the way out. I was so badly wishing I had a camera, and was more than a little tempted to just bend down and touch my beloved track but was worried it was electrified or something XD

Park was about to close then and we were on our way out and I think that might have been the last family trip before I started college - family used to go once or twice a year for long trips up to that point, and since then I've only been back a couple times for only a week apiece because adulting is hard and everything. So I think that was one of my last memories of the park for a years, and I quite liked it.
Wow ~ how many days was that 44.9 rides spread out over? That is a lot of rides through the Wilderness!

IMFearless
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Posts: 365
Joined: Jul Tue 08, 2008 9:50 pm

Re: What rides have you been stuck on when they broke down?

Post by IMFearless » Nov Sun 08, 2015 5:06 pm

Amy wrote: Wow ~ how many days was that 44.9 rides spread out over? That is a lot of rides through the Wilderness!
My family used to take loooooong trips - 30-40 nights at Fort Wilderness, during the quiet season so the nightly rate was cheap, and we'd be there enough to make the annual passes seriously worthwhile. But then there was at least one trip that BTMM was under maintenance until the last three or four days and I still insisted on getting on it a dozen and a half times when it reopened :P There were times I'd get a Fastpass for it, and get in line and ride it a few times until the Fastpass was ready. Total Thunder Mountain fanboy here.
()()()()
___..._
|...|.. V
+-+--+ The wildest ride in the wilderness!
+-----+
()()....O

[url=http://ubdesigner.com]
Forwhating?
Hi everybody! I'm a corporate symbol!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18489
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: What rides have you been stuck on when they broke down?

Post by Amy » Nov Sun 08, 2015 6:45 pm

IMFearless wrote:
Amy wrote: Wow ~ how many days was that 44.9 rides spread out over? That is a lot of rides through the Wilderness!
My family used to take loooooong trips - 30-40 nights at Fort Wilderness, during the quiet season so the nightly rate was cheap, and we'd be there enough to make the annual passes seriously worthwhile. But then there was at least one trip that BTMM was under maintenance until the last three or four days and I still insisted on getting on it a dozen and a half times when it reopened :P There were times I'd get a Fastpass for it, and get in line and ride it a few times until the Fastpass was ready. Total Thunder Mountain fanboy here.
A whole month+ at WDW :shock: You were so lucky! Wow!

Alacrity
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Posts: 290
Joined: Jul Fri 25, 2008 3:50 pm
Location: Central Illinois
Contact:

Re: What rides have you been stuck on when they broke down?

Post by Alacrity » Nov Mon 09, 2015 11:04 am

Last breakdown for me was Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland Paris! It was neat to walk off that one. The ride is on an island and we had to walk off behind the scenes, going under the water to get back to the entrance. Fortunately we were not at the top of some hill; just at the start of one when we stopped!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18489
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: What rides have you been stuck on when they broke down?

Post by Amy » Nov Mon 09, 2015 11:23 am

Alacrity wrote:Last breakdown for me was Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland Paris! It was neat to walk off that one. The ride is on an island and we had to walk off behind the scenes, going under the water to get back to the entrance. Fortunately we were not at the top of some hill; just at the start of one when we stopped!
Fun!

Post Reply