Does anyone read Kingdom Keepers?

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

jlpeaches255
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Posts: 437
Joined: Apr Fri 04, 2008 10:15 am
Location: New England

Does anyone read Kingdom Keepers?

Post by jlpeaches255 » Nov Sat 16, 2013 10:01 am

Ok I am starting this topic because my son has read them all and I am reading book two. My kids arrived in Orlando today and my son texted me to tell me it is raining. I checked the radar on the WESH website and I am not lying, the one single band of showers looks like a giant green arm and hand reaching out to grab onto Orlando!!! It is Maleficent!! Yes, it is quite possible that I have gone insane. :hatter_bounce:

duggett
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Posts: 70
Joined: Nov Sat 13, 2010 8:32 am

Re: Does anyone read Kingdom Keepers?

Post by duggett » Nov Sat 16, 2013 10:44 am

Don't know anything about it. What is it, briefly?
Image

jlpeaches255
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Posts: 437
Joined: Apr Fri 04, 2008 10:15 am
Location: New England

Re: Does anyone read Kingdom Keepers?

Post by jlpeaches255 » Nov Sat 16, 2013 10:51 am

A group of teens has to save the Disney Parks from the Disney Villains.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18489
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Does anyone read Kingdom Keepers?

Post by Amy » Nov Sat 16, 2013 11:38 am

jlpeaches255 wrote:Ok I am starting this topic because my son has read them all and I am reading book two. My kids arrived in Orlando today and my son texted me to tell me it is raining. I checked the radar on the WESH website and I am not lying, the one single band of showers looks like a giant green arm and hand reaching out to grab onto Orlando!!! It is Maleficent!! Yes, it is quite possible that I have gone insane. :hatter_bounce:
:lol: Hopefully the rain will pass over quickly. The whole weather pattern seems a bit iffy for these next few days though from the looks of the weather map this morning.
I've read the first book. It was ok, but nothing I was hopping up and down over. It was fun to recognize the settings and picture the familiar surroundings, but it was still definitely more of a young teen's book.

jlpeaches255
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Posts: 437
Joined: Apr Fri 04, 2008 10:15 am
Location: New England

Re: Does anyone read Kingdom Keepers?

Post by jlpeaches255 » Nov Sat 16, 2013 12:20 pm

Amy wrote:
jlpeaches255 wrote:Ok I am starting this topic because my son has read them all and I am reading book two. My kids arrived in Orlando today and my son texted me to tell me it is raining. I checked the radar on the WESH website and I am not lying, the one single band of showers looks like a giant green arm and hand reaching out to grab onto Orlando!!! It is Maleficent!! Yes, it is quite possible that I have gone insane. :hatter_bounce:
:lol: Hopefully the rain will pass over quickly. The whole weather pattern seems a bit iffy for these next few days though from the looks of the weather map this morning.
I've read the first book. It was ok, but nothing I was hopping up and down over. It was fun to recognize the settings and picture the familiar surroundings, but it was still definitely more of a young teen's book.

I felt the same way about the first one but my son reads them so I am trying to catch up. The second book starts out with a rain storm over Magic Kingdom that Maleficent cause and that is where I am reading so this morning the radar just cracked me up.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Posts: 2744
Joined: Apr Mon 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: Does anyone read Kingdom Keepers?

Post by theBIGyowski » Nov Tue 19, 2013 8:44 am

I keep hoping that the books will be added to the Kindle Owners' Lending Library...so I can read them for free.
Image

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Posts: 2833
Joined: Jan Fri 21, 2011 8:47 am
Location: Greenwood, IN

Re: Does anyone read Kingdom Keepers?

Post by cy1229 » Nov Tue 19, 2013 9:33 am

My hubby and Ellie read them. I haven't yet. I was lamenting to Meghan the other day that I rarely read for pleasure anymore. I read - but mostly magazine articles and information for work. My job is so heavily reading-focused (I'm either reading or writing) that I think I get tired of concentrating on the printed word. I do a lot of podcasts, so if these books ever became available in audible format I might listen to them.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Posts: 2744
Joined: Apr Mon 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: Does anyone read Kingdom Keepers?

Post by theBIGyowski » Nov Tue 19, 2013 10:16 am

Image

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Posts: 2833
Joined: Jan Fri 21, 2011 8:47 am
Location: Greenwood, IN

Re: Does anyone read Kingdom Keepers?

Post by cy1229 » Nov Tue 19, 2013 10:28 am

$22.49 for an audio book?! :shock: So if I bought the Kindle version for $2.99, would my Kindle read it to me? :lol:
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Posts: 2744
Joined: Apr Mon 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: Does anyone read Kingdom Keepers?

Post by theBIGyowski » Nov Tue 19, 2013 10:31 am

cy1229 wrote:
$22.49 for an audio book?! :shock: So if I bought the Kindle version for $2.99, would my Kindle read it to me? :lol:
I'll read it to you for $15. 8-)
Image

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18489
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Does anyone read Kingdom Keepers?

Post by Amy » Nov Tue 19, 2013 2:27 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:
cy1229 wrote:
$22.49 for an audio book?! :shock: So if I bought the Kindle version for $2.99, would my Kindle read it to me? :lol:
I'll read it to you for $15. 8-)
I'll see that bid and lower it to $12.99 ;) :lol:

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Posts: 2833
Joined: Jan Fri 21, 2011 8:47 am
Location: Greenwood, IN

Re: Does anyone read Kingdom Keepers?

Post by cy1229 » Nov Tue 19, 2013 3:26 pm

Amy wrote:
theBIGyowski wrote:
cy1229 wrote: $22.49 for an audio book?! :shock: So if I bought the Kindle version for $2.99, would my Kindle read it to me? :lol:
I'll read it to you for $15. 8-)
I'll see that bid and lower it to $12.99 ;) :lol:
Only if you guys do voices for each character.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18489
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Does anyone read Kingdom Keepers?

Post by Amy » Nov Tue 19, 2013 3:42 pm

Deal! Although any lower voices might be a stretch for me. Perhaps I can team up with BIG?! ;)

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Posts: 250
Joined: Aug Fri 23, 2013 10:49 pm
Location: N of the 49th

Re: Does anyone read Kingdom Keepers?

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Nov Tue 19, 2013 5:13 pm

I've been able to get books 1-5 in audio format from the library. Yay for free stuff! Honestly I'm more impressed with the ability of the narrator and the number of different voices he can do than the novels themselves.

I'm midway through book 5, and expect I will have to buckle down and read book 6 just to see how it turns out. I doubt I would have continued past book 1 if I was reading them myself. The blatant inconsistencies would have been enough to make me give up. As commuting listening though it's entertaining enough. Was it ever explained how in book 1 Amanda's mom works at Disney Studies, then all of a sudden in book 2 she's an orphan? There were several other out loud "wait a minute, how can that be?" moments.

It would be incredibly cool if some of the places described actually existed (like Escher's Keep in the Castle) but I don't think physics is there yet.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18489
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: Does anyone read Kingdom Keepers?

Post by Amy » Nov Tue 19, 2013 8:21 pm

ImagineerWannabe wrote:I've been able to get books 1-5 in audio format from the library. Yay for free stuff! Honestly I'm more impressed with the ability of the narrator and the number of different voices he can do than the novels themselves.

I'm midway through book 5, and expect I will have to buckle down and read book 6 just to see how it turns out. I doubt I would have continued past book 1 if I was reading them myself. The blatant inconsistencies would have been enough to make me give up. As commuting listening though it's entertaining enough. Was it ever explained how in book 1 Amanda's mom works at Disney Studies, then all of a sudden in book 2 she's an orphan? There were several other out loud "wait a minute, how can that be?" moments.

It would be incredibly cool if some of the places described actually existed (like Escher's Keep in the Castle) but I don't think physics is there yet.
I should look and see if those are available at our library. My Mom likes to listen to audio books and she might find them interesting with the familiar locations. I tend to tune out the spoken word if it goes on very long so they wouldn't work for me! Luckily that affliction didn't hit me until after my classroom days were mostly over :shock: :lol:

Post Reply