Disney Runners - On your mark - Get set...

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Dec Tue 22, 2009 1:26 pm

Wow, I'm getting chest pains just thinking about it.
I used to run a lot when I was in my 20's, but now I don't think I could do even a half-marathon. Sounds like a goal I need to work towards so I can have another excuse to go back to WDW again! :mrgreen:

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Dec Wed 23, 2009 12:20 am

You could do a 1/2 if you trained properly M-Dude! :D Shoes make all the difference too. I'm praying to do the 1/2 again, maybe 2011!? Running Disney is something that should be experienced, no matter what the distance!

withspirit
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by withspirit » Dec Thu 24, 2009 9:40 am

Mousekedude,

I was a medium distance runner for my high school track team (mile and half mile) and didn't run anymore until my wife did her marathon at WDW. I walked while she ran her training runs, then ran a little, then ran the Tower of Terror run this year.

She gave me a book called "Marathoning for Mortals" which has a training program for almost any fitness level. That convinced me to try.

Boilerbabe and Boilerdude, welcome back! Hope your trip was Magical.
No really, see? It's a screwdriver and it's... sonic
The Doctor

withspirit

Post by withspirit » Dec Thu 24, 2009 10:37 am

Joe90,
will be one of the volunteers manning the first/Last water stop for the half
(I volunteered for this so I wouldn't be tempted to go Goofy)

I am running the Marathon on the Sunday
Thanks Joe90! Good strategy for avoiding the Goofy (hope it works for you) Good luck on your Marathon and have fun. I take it you have run Disney in the past?
No really, see? It's a screwdriver and it's... sonic
The Doctor

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Dec Sat 26, 2009 12:02 pm

I have run in the past two Half Marathons down there ('08 and '09) and I had a blast. It's a fairly easy course with the only hard parts being around mile 7 and 8 when you leave the Magic Kingdom (you go from a huge high to a quiet back road) and miles 10 and 11 because you are a little tired and there are "hills".

I have run a total of 3 half marathons...two of them at WDW and the other in Nashville for the Music City Half. The WDW Half Marathon is just special...you get to run through the Magic Kingdom and part of Future World...how cool is that?

My best advice is just to enjoy it and when you get tired...just think about how much fun you are having running around WDW. I hope I can get back down there and run it again sometime...and maybe a full marathon or Goofy. My body just can't handle much over 10 or 11 miles so the half is about as far as I can go right now.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Mamabaminjamin
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Mamabaminjamin » Dec Sat 26, 2009 3:06 pm

OK you crazy runners have peak my instrest! I have been listening to people talk about this run on several forums. Where can I find more info??

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Dec Sat 26, 2009 5:53 pm

http://disneyworldsports.disney.go.com/ ... age&bhcp=1

This is the best race I've ever run! :D And I've run bunches of road races in my running career. Disney does it the best! And the finisher medals are the best I've ever seen!!! 8-)

Mouseoholic
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Mouseoholic » Dec Mon 28, 2009 6:59 am

Well, I am a Wii runner. Does that count??? LOL I am working my way up to the real thing. I have too heard that running at Disney is awesome. Mousekedude and I will have to try it someday. :minnie:

Joe90
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Joe90 » Dec Mon 28, 2009 8:38 am

withspirit wrote: I take it you have run Disney in the past?
Nope :) (Well perhaps some morning jogs at Riverside.)

This is my first Disney run and my first Marathon in over 20...err...something years :shock:
No other place on Earth, that I know of, could make me want to run a Marathon.

I'm looking to be finishing in 3:45-4:00 but it is hard to judge as I don't deal with heat all that well and I have never run such a flat course before.
Looking at the videos on YouTube Run the Disney Marathon in 3 minutes
I thing pictures with characters could be a hazard to a good finishing time :)

Just to clear that up a little; I'm looking to finish in around 3 hours 45 mins to 4 hours, not the 3:00 mins as shown in the clip :lol:
"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. " Carl Sagan

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Dec Mon 28, 2009 1:30 pm

Mouseoholic wrote:Well, I am a Wii runner. Does that count??? LOL I am working my way up to the real thing. I have too heard that running at Disney is awesome. Mousekedude and I will have to try it someday. :minnie:
Promise, Sweetie...? I will if you will... :goofy_bounce:
withspirit wrote: ...she gave me a book called "Marathoning for Mortals" which has a training program for almost any fitness level. That convinced me to try.
Hmmmmmm...... thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to look for it at my local Borders Bookstore.

Mouseoholic
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Mouseoholic » Dec Mon 28, 2009 1:57 pm

Ok its official, Mousoholic and Mouskedude will start training for a running event sometime in the future at Disney. That would totally rock to run with the Boilers!!!

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Dec Mon 28, 2009 5:39 pm

Good luck, Joe! I'll be there watching.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Dec Tue 29, 2009 12:28 am

Mouseoholic wrote:Ok its official, Mousoholic and Mouskedude will start training for a running event sometime in the future at Disney. That would totally rock to run with the Boilers!!!
That would be SOOOO much fun! :D I would love to run the new Food and Wine Fest 1/2 marathon! They give you the option to do a relay if you don't feel the full 1/2 is for you!

For marathoning I've always been told that running a negative split works well.

Good luck to those running the 1/2 and or full in Jan! Please let us know how it went!!! 8-)

Joe90

Post by Joe90 » Dec Tue 29, 2009 3:52 am

boilerbabe wrote:For marathoning I've always been told that running a negative split works well.
Whats this? :shock: Whats a negative split?
Should I be doing this?
OMG 12 days to go and I'm having to learn new things.

DoN't PaNiC !!

My plan was to jog along at around 9 min a mile looking at the scenery until someone gave me a Mickey medal and told me to stop.

Subsonic Radio Runners............we may be starting something. :wink:
"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. " Carl Sagan

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Dec Tue 29, 2009 11:03 am

:lol: Don't panic!!! Stick with your training and definitely stop when they give you that Mickey medal!!!!! A negative split is when you run the first 1/2 of your race slower than your second half. You don't want to hit that wall at the last 6.2 miles. What is the longest distance you've run Joe90???

I work in the fitness field and I've been a runner for many years, so I know a little bit about a little bit. If any of you ever have ques. just send me a PM.

I was not born with the gift of being a natural runner, I just LOVE to run, it's my therapy! I've tried to train for a full before but when I hit the 16-18 mile mark, something on me breaks down, usually my hamstring. So, I do what I can! I've done negative splits even for my 1/2 marathons, and it worked. Most importantly just ENJOY Joe90! You will be running is Disney, it does not get any better than that!!!! Would love to see pics. of the medals, to see if they've changed!

And I think we should start a Subsonic category for one of these running events! Would love to run with all of you!