Disney Backs out of 3rd Narnia flick

Movies, TV, music, and more. Here's the place to talk about anything Disney outside of the parks.

Moderator: Moderators

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Disney Backs out of 3rd Narnia flick

Post by DisBeamer » Dec Thu 25, 2008 5:22 am

As Hollywood grapples with the difficult economics of its business, Walt Disney Studios has canceled plans to partner on the next film in the "Chronicles of Narnia" series, "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader."

A Disney spokeswoman confirmed Wednesday that the Burbank studio decided not to exercise its option to co- finance the third movie in the franchise based on C.S. Lewis' classic children's books because of "budgetary considerations."
Rest of the story here: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-n ... 2331.story

Interesting. Apparently Walden is looking for someone else to foot part of the bill. I wonder who they think will pay for it if it's too rich for Disney's blood?
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Dec Thu 25, 2008 11:07 am

well, we know that Disney is scaling back alot of things in light of the economy of late. This just seems like one of those. while I would like to see a 3rd Narnia be part of Disney, I can see why they'd cut it from the budget. I bet if Eisner were still running the show, it'd be a direct-to-video dud. I would rather they cut it than to see that...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, Relayer, WDW Freak
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/4845/userbar499931tz9.gif[/img][/url]

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Dec Thu 25, 2008 2:13 pm

I heard about that but I would have hoped they put the movie on the backburner until everything got better. It would be very different to see that another company will take over the movie rather than Disney.

Josh Q
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Josh Q » Dec Fri 26, 2008 7:22 pm

The things I was hearing a few months ago when this was being considered to not go ahead with another Narnia was that because Caspian didn't do very well (when compared with the budget) in theaters that they would only loose money on a 3rd film, which I 100% agree. We will be seeing a lot films being released soon without the super high budget from Disney ergo (you like that hu ergo! lol) A Christmas Carol starring the voice of Jim Carrey as Scrooge, The Ghost of Christmas Past, Present and Future. Still not sure about that one. But Narnia isn't as popular as say Pirates so Disney wont foot the money. At least that's my opinion.
Our Theme Park Podcast is back! http://www.themeparktalk.com

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Dec Sat 27, 2008 12:46 pm

I'm surprised b/c I thought the other Narnia films have done well. I know Disney is scaling back, but I would think that another Narnia would bring in $$$$.

Blackie Pueblo
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Blackie Pueblo » Dec Sat 27, 2008 1:47 pm

I too have heard that the figures for Prince Caspian were downright dismal. And if showed them anything it's that the rest of the series might be just as dismal. Films are about business. And if it looks like the risk isn't worth the cost, then forget it. Remember how Disney dumped M. Night Sham... Um M. Night Shamy... That other writer and director. He had one huge hit with The Sixth Sense and unfortunately his other films all tanked pretty hard. Especially his last one The Happening.

I think the next Narnia films just are not projected to make up the cost.

"I function better when things are going badly than when they're as smooth as whip cream."
---Walter Elias Disney

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Dec Sat 27, 2008 2:39 pm

I'm glad that they did dump M. Night since he's not a great director. The Sixth Sense and Signs were the only decent movies and the other ones were terrible. I hope they try and take back the Narnia movies since it would be sad to see them do two movies and not the remaining few in the series.

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Dec Sun 28, 2008 10:42 am

This really makes me sad! I never liked Caspian the book and didn't really care for the movie. Still, the Dawn Treader was my favorite book of the series and I had real hopes that they could make a spectacular movie (and even maybe bring the return of the Beastly Kingdom at Animal Kingdom??). Ah well, I guess I'll have to return those ideas to my own little dream world. :roll:
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

Akyriel
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Akyriel » Jan Mon 05, 2009 11:40 am

The reality is that very few children read C.S. Lewis anymore so other than the home-schooled or faith-based educational system, most children have never heard of Narnia.

Caspian did indeed disappoint -- both as a box office draw and as a movie.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader would have been neat to see as a movie.

Josh Q

Post by Josh Q » Jan Tue 06, 2009 10:31 am

The reality is that very few children read C.S. Lewis anymore so other than the home-schooled or faith-based educational system, most children have never heard of Narnia.
This was, in my opinoin, other than the fact that it was a crappy movie, the downfall of Speed Racer as well. Not the faith based part lol the not many children know about part. :)

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Jan Tue 06, 2009 4:47 pm

Caspian was kind of a risk in the first place, since even most Narnia (book) fans say it's their least favorite. It was unfortunate that it had to come second since it was probably a given to be a money-loser.

I have to agree with the above, though; I'd be surprised if there are a lot of kids now who've read the books. And in terms of adult audience, I doubt very much Narnia can hold its own against LotR or even Harry Potter. It was a shaky franchise to start with, imo.

Still kind of disappointed there will (most likely) be no Dawn Treader or Horse and His Boy (kay, getting as far as that one was a long shot from the get go :lol: ).
~ Caroline

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/atoning_unifex/Caroline%20Gaia/tta.gif[/img]

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Jan Tue 06, 2009 5:05 pm

Josh Q wrote:This was, in my opinoin, other than the fact that it was a crappy movie, the downfall of Speed Racer as well. Not the faith based part lol the not many children know about part. :)
Speed Racer was awesome. I loved it no matter how people said it was crappy with the lame effects. It was amazing. But carry on with the Narnia topic.

Josh Q

Post by Josh Q » Jan Tue 06, 2009 5:27 pm

Speed Racer was awesome. I loved it no matter how people said it was crappy with the lame effects. It was amazing. But carry on with the Narnia topic.
Actually I thought the effects were kinda cool and I want the car! But I just couldn't get into the characters. That's one of the number 1 movie musts for me. But yes back to Narnia. Lol.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Jan Thu 08, 2009 12:19 pm

This does spare us from being exposed to another lame Narnia walkthru "attraction" at DHS.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

DisBeamer
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by DisBeamer » Jan Thu 08, 2009 11:13 pm

horizons1 wrote:This does spare us from being exposed to another lame Narnia walkthru "attraction" at DHS.
That's actually a pretty good silver lining.
~ Caroline