First WDW Trip

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

TongaToast
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver
Posts: 26
Joined: Aug Wed 19, 2009 4:43 pm
Location: Salem, OR

First WDW Trip

Post by TongaToast » Feb Sun 20, 2011 4:42 pm

My family is looking to go to our first trip to WDW this August. We've been to DL plenty of times to know the ropes of Disney, but DL is way different than WDW. Theres my parents, (50's) and my Brother and I (14, 18). We are looking to stay at a moderate resort, but cant really decide where to stay. We will be spending countless hours in the park, but will take a small break every once in a while. One of the main deciding factors is the bus service. Do you have any recommendations about the moderate resorts, or experiences with the buses there? Another thing we are debating is Park Hopping. At DL the parks are so close so we've enjoyed the breeze of jumping back and forth. I know we will love MK, and Epcot is just us. we love traveling, and the rides in future world will be some of our favorites, we love the thrills DHS has to offer, and we go to zoos all the time. So im not entirely sure what park will be our favorite. we are planning on 10 days at WDW. Do you think a park hopper is something we should get?

Thanks SOO MUCH!!! :figment: :hatter_bounce: :hm_ghost:

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Posts: 3685
Joined: Jun Sat 07, 2008 5:18 pm

Re: First WDW Trip

Post by MadEye » Feb Sun 20, 2011 4:49 pm

I'd go for Port Orleans. Either Riverside or French Quarter will do. Not too far from MGM. Technically across the street from Epcot and a little drive to MK and AK. Not to mention the water transportation to DTD.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

dichuy
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Posts: 162
Joined: Oct Mon 25, 2010 1:24 pm
Location: Manhattan, but the Magic Kingdom in my head

Re: First WDW Trip

Post by dichuy » Feb Sun 20, 2011 5:27 pm

You must be very excited! Personally, I love the hopper option. Especially if you plan to take breaks mid-day you can choose to go visit a different park depending on your mood later in the day. Since you will be there for 10 days (AWESOME!!!!), you could probably do without it if $$ is a factor. The later part of August will be a little less crowded, but either way, the parks will have late operating hours. Go early, get a lot of rides done, go back to the hotel mid day and relax, then stay late when you go back to a park. Lots of people empty out after the fireworks so you'll be able to ride a lot then too.
Step out to your left please. When the car stops, step out to your left.

TongaToast
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver
Posts: 26
Joined: Aug Wed 19, 2009 4:43 pm
Location: Salem, OR

Re: First WDW Trip

Post by TongaToast » Feb Sun 20, 2011 5:30 pm

MadEye wrote:I'd go for Port Orleans. Either Riverside or French Quarter will do. Not too far from MGM. Technically across the street from Epcot and a little drive to MK and AK. Not to mention the water transportation to DTD.
other than theming, are there advantages to FQ or RS?

TongaToast
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver
Posts: 26
Joined: Aug Wed 19, 2009 4:43 pm
Location: Salem, OR

Re: First WDW Trip

Post by TongaToast » Feb Sun 20, 2011 5:32 pm

dichuy wrote:You must be very excited! Personally, I love the hopper option. Especially if you plan to take breaks mid-day you can choose to go visit a different park depending on your mood later in the day. Since you will be there for 10 days (AWESOME!!!!), you could probably do without it if $$ is a factor. The later part of August will be a little less crowded, but either way, the parks will have late operating hours. Go early, get a lot of rides done, go back to the hotel mid day and relax, then stay late when you go back to a park. Lots of people empty out after the fireworks so you'll be able to ride a lot then too.
I don't think $$ are a huge factor, but they always are. Does the magic your way ticket allow you to leave and return in the same day?

dichuy
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Posts: 162
Joined: Oct Mon 25, 2010 1:24 pm
Location: Manhattan, but the Magic Kingdom in my head

Re: First WDW Trip

Post by dichuy » Feb Sun 20, 2011 6:00 pm

If you do one park a day, you can come and go to that park all you want in one day. But with the hopper, as you know, can go to another--or 3!
Step out to your left please. When the car stops, step out to your left.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18489
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: First WDW Trip

Post by Amy » Feb Sun 20, 2011 6:05 pm

TongaToast wrote:My family is looking to go to our first trip to WDW this August. We've been to DL plenty of times to know the ropes of Disney, but DL is way different than WDW. Theres my parents, (50's) and my Brother and I (14, 18). We are looking to stay at a moderate resort, but cant really decide where to stay. We will be spending countless hours in the park, but will take a small break every once in a while. One of the main deciding factors is the bus service. Do you have any recommendations about the moderate resorts, or experiences with the buses there? Another thing we are debating is Park Hopping. At DL the parks are so close so we've enjoyed the breeze of jumping back and forth. I know we will love MK, and Epcot is just us. we love traveling, and the rides in future world will be some of our favorites, we love the thrills DHS has to offer, and we go to zoos all the time. So im not entirely sure what park will be our favorite. we are planning on 10 days at WDW. Do you think a park hopper is something we should get?
Thanks SOO MUCH!!! :figment: :hatter_bounce: :hm_ghost:
Definitely get the park hopper option! It is so worth the slight upcharge! Especially since you are all young and active and love so many different attractions in the different parks. Make sure you bring good walking shoes because the WDW resort is soooooo much larger than DL :shock: My Mom (F1gment here on the forum) and I were so surprised on our first trip to DL at how close together everything is. You won't have that same problem at WDW :lol: Especially in EPCOT.

TongaToast
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver
Posts: 26
Joined: Aug Wed 19, 2009 4:43 pm
Location: Salem, OR

Re: First WDW Trip

Post by TongaToast » Feb Mon 21, 2011 1:35 am

Amy wrote: Definitely get the park hopper option! It is so worth the slight upcharge! Especially since you are all young and active and love so many different attractions in the different parks. Make sure you bring good walking shoes because the WDW resort is soooooo much larger than DL :shock: My Mom (F1gment here on the forum) and I were so surprised on our first trip to DL at how close together everything is. You won't have that same problem at WDW :lol: Especially in EPCOT.
Thanks we definitely will. We are the kind of people that get to DL a day early to enjoy downtown Disney and the DL hotels, so WDW we will definitely be exploring everything.

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Posts: 1283
Joined: Apr Tue 29, 2008 3:13 pm

Re: First WDW Trip

Post by Sleepy90 » Feb Mon 21, 2011 3:33 am

I have just come back from 14 days at Port Orleans Riverside. A truly beautiful resort although French Quarter is closer together and not as far a walk to the Food Hall, either resort is great to stay at, buses to everywhere you need to go to although it is the same bus and French Quarter get picked up first and of course boats to Downtown Disney.

rphillips14
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Posts: 385
Joined: Nov Fri 13, 2009 7:05 am
Location: Kentucky

Re: First WDW Trip

Post by rphillips14 » Feb Mon 21, 2011 6:40 am

We always stay at Port Orleans Riverside and just love it. It's very quiet, easy to get around and the people are all respectful and great.
The bus service has it's ups and downs but for the most part-it's OK. As for Park Hopping, we did that the first time and SWORE we'd never do it again. Several bus ride a day and we were just completely worn out. Now we book 1 park for 1 day and it works much, much better. Now, that being said if I were going for 3 days or less, I'd do Park Hopper so I could see all 4 parks (Sorry, I don't count water parks) but I can't be in South Florida and miss one of the parks. Your going to have such a GREAT time. I wish I had that "Men in Black" memory zapper so I could "go again" to Disney for the first time. It's really magical.
Image

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Posts: 3685
Joined: Jun Sat 07, 2008 5:18 pm

Re: First WDW Trip

Post by MadEye » Feb Mon 21, 2011 11:41 am

rphillips14 wrote:I wish I had that "Men in Black" memory zapper so I could "go again" to Disney for the first time. It's really magical.
Indeed, but most first timers are inept when visiting WDW or anyplace for that matter. You'd at least want to remember a few things...

And no offense intended TongaToast. You are one of very few first timers asking for advise. :shock:
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

TongaToast
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver
Posts: 26
Joined: Aug Wed 19, 2009 4:43 pm
Location: Salem, OR

Re: First WDW Trip

Post by TongaToast » Feb Mon 21, 2011 5:54 pm

MadEye wrote:And no offense intended TongaToast. You are one of very few first timers asking for advise. :shock:
None taken. I know a lot about WDW, but I'm not an expert since I haven't been there. Its just nice to have personal answers that the vacation planner DVDs don't cover. So thanks for all the help guys.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 18489
Joined: Dec Wed 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: the flooded, flooded mitten

Re: First WDW Trip

Post by Amy » Feb Mon 21, 2011 6:45 pm

TongaToast wrote:
MadEye wrote:And no offense intended TongaToast. You are one of very few first timers asking for advise. :shock:
None taken. I know a lot about WDW, but I'm not an expert since I haven't been there. Its just nice to have personal answers that the vacation planner DVDs don't cover. So thanks for all the help guys.
We love to help ~ so ask away!!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 6726
Joined: Mar Sat 29, 2008 8:04 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: First WDW Trip

Post by Len90 » Feb Tue 22, 2011 9:30 am

If you are looking to go after August 14th, there is a deal out there for up to 35% off. You need to mention booking code "YW3" or "TSU" to get it. It will help you save a couple of dollars and might even open you up to Wilderness lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge. Both are phenomenal hotels if you could book them on a promotion. As for moderates, I've heard good things about Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach.

As for the parks, you will LOVE it. The transportation is excellent at WDW and makes park hopping a breeze. I highly advise getting the hopper as you will want to take advantage of the extra magic hours. Every morning one park opens up an hour early and another stays open up to three hours past closing for resort guests.

As for any questions, ask away! We'll turn you into a seasoned vet before your plane ever leaves the gate!
- Len90
Image
Image
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain
Posts: 10954
Joined: Sep Sun 06, 2009 8:53 am
Location: 76 Totters Lane

Re: First WDW Trip

Post by mindflipper » Feb Tue 22, 2011 11:00 am

Len90 wrote:If you are looking to go after August 14th, there is a deal out there for up to 35% off. You need to mention booking code "YW3" or "TSU" to get it.
What are restrictions/requirements for this deal? (Is there a certain minium number of nights that has to be booked, for instance?)

Post Reply