disneyland trip report aug 14-16 (now with eye candy)

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director

disneyland trip report aug 14-16 (now with eye candy)

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Aug Sun 19, 2007 4:37 pm

Hey everyone, I guess this is my trip report from this past week. Well, it's more like the highlights.

Let's see, we arrived in Anaheim from Sacramento around 2pm. We then rested a bit, and then headed over to Downtown Disney for the High School Musical 2 blue carpet event.

Since it was so hot, and crowded we left for a few hours, and returned around 4:30. It was even more crowded, and we got a bad spot near the entrance of the theatre.

Supposedly stars were entering the theatre, but it was mostly people mistaking CMs for actors. People were shouting, crying, shoving when the stars started walking by at about 6pm. There were some television stars, but mostly Disney Channel stars. Everyone of course, were most excited to see Zack Efron. He came at the end, and went by pretty quickly by the time he reached us. Vanessa Williams was a pleasant surprise.

The next day we started early, did Nemo first. We actually got there before the attraction opened. We ended up waiting for 2 hours, but it was totally worth it. I finally saw the plastered over sea serpent from the original attraction.

We just spent all day going on rides. The group I was with, drew some of the attractions on their green tank top fronts, and had the logo of the year of a million dreams on the back. CMs and guests alike were amazed that the shirts were so well colored.

We ate at Blue Bayou for a late lunch. Since it was the first time for many of the group, we waited for seating by the water. The wait wasn't too long, and it was totally worth it. We were waving by the passing guests on the boats, it was fun. I'm sure we took a million pictures of the inside and the food.

We ordered the salmon, prime rib, monte cristo, jambalaya, and the portobello mushroom entrees. It was all very, very good. The gumbo appetizer was also delicious. My mint julep was just okay, but the second time they put in more syrup. As usual, the service at Blue Bayou was great.

That night we waited for Remember...Dreams Come True nearby the hub area. It wasn't too crowded, and no one block our viewing. I guess they make everyone stand up now. Which makes sense, in case something goes bad, and people need to evacuate asap.

The next day was early again, starting with Fantasyland and then heading over to DCA. We saw the ever amazing Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular. The jokes were good, but I've seen the Genie do better. This time the Jafar was Caucasian, so that was kind of interesting.

Later we headed back to Disneyland for the Parade of Dreams. We found a nice shady spot in front of the Penny Arcade to wait. The Dapper Dans came right to us and did a few numbers. It was really fun, and I've never actually seen them perform.

The group that I'm with aren't shy about getting the characters attention. So pretty much everyone who passed by us, looked in our direction, and either acknowledged it by doing some moves or simply waving.

That night was the Electrical Parade. My friends called and clapped for all the dancers and characters who came by. Every insect for the Alice In Wonderland unit came by us and did their weird jerky movement thing. I think we even surprised Alice at one point.

We got the crowd around us to shout the names of the characters who came by. Some characters even put their hand to their ears, signaling us to be louder. At one point we got the kids around us to shout "dopey" as he drove the mine cars.

Fantasmic that night was as awesome as ever. I'm glad with the detour system Disneyland set up for the people returning to the parks during Remember. Instead of bothering the people watching the fireworks, guests are required to go through or around tomorrowland for all lands. We went through tomorrowland, fantasyland, and frontierland to get a spot for Fantasmic. The show was as great as ever, and it's good to see that little details are still being added in.

Overall, this trip was really good. One of the better ones I've had in a long time. It's really all about the people you go with. Moods are contagious.

The CMs were really nice and friendly to us- I'm sure the custom drawn attraction tops helped. At one point some of us were talking to a cast member, and we were saying how Peter Pan doesn't usually come out. Then one of the dream squad members overhead and said that they would try and call to see where Peter Pan was at that time.

Two of my friends who went, are really considering working at Disneyland for a summer job.

And that's basically the highlights of the trip. I miss the Happiest Place on Earth already :(
Last edited by Lion Sleeps Tonight on Aug Thu 30, 2007 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

danimal3114u
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by danimal3114u » Aug Mon 20, 2007 10:51 am

Sounds like you had a great trip with a fun bunch of people. Nice to hear that everyone who went had a great time being together, and that everything went well! It's always nice to hear about larger groups still having fun together, as I know the logistics of hitting everyone's favorite ride or attraction is really tough. Great story, and thanks for sharing!

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Aug Mon 20, 2007 12:44 pm

Yeah, it definitely helps when everyone in your group is enthusiastic about being there, and knows what they want. Planning the day out helps as well.

I'm not really used to big groups doing the park together, and in the past I've split up due to wasting time because of indecisions. A couple of times we did split up, to appease everyone, and they were good about it.

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Aug Mon 20, 2007 3:55 pm

Excellent report, Lion! Wishing I could be in the Happiest Place on Earth right now...not till next December for me.

Edit: Hey Lion, did anyone in your group win a prize for the Year of a Million dreams? Those shirts sounded fantastic, did you get any pictures to share?
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Aug Thu 30, 2007 6:15 pm

Here are some images of the trip, thanks to my step-brother who took most of the pictures. Enjoy!

Banners celebrating the Year of a Million Dreams.

The girls. I didn't make a shirt- can you tell?

Just a closer shot of the attraction images hand drawn and colored on the tops. My favorite is the abominable snowman.

The back of the shirts with their names and their own version of the Year of a Million Dreams logo. It's like they're walking adverts.

The guys of the group.

In the queue for Nemo, there are hidden Nemos. Here's one of them.

Just a nice shot of the Matterhorn and a passing sub. Nice colors.

Dapper Dans. They sang to our group specifically- it was cool.

DCA is far from my favorite park, but I can't deny that it looks really nice from up high. This shot was taken while on the Sunwheel (amidst all the screams).

Peter Pan during the Electrical Parade telling us to shout louder. Hook got jealous, so we began shouting his name too.

We were waiting for the Parade of Dreams to start, and this huge stroller comes by. Amazing!

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Aug Thu 30, 2007 9:48 pm

Nice Pics Lion. That stroller is huge!!! Those shirts are pretty darn good. MAN!!!! All of these pics are making me want to be there again...........dammit now I have to plan........... But seriously nice Lion.
[img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4131/userbar460642qi2.gif[/img][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5236/userbar460651xq4.gif[/img]
[img]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7677/userbar461525mz8.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneymountainrides.com/_i/banners/bar/SR_siteadmin.gif[/img]

*****Site Admin*****
[url=http://www.twitter.com/travenscroft]twitter[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/49f5nd]plurk[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/556rz4]Flickr[/url] |

Lion Sleeps Tonight

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Aug Fri 31, 2007 12:57 am

Yeah, that stroller is...something all right.

The shirts were a surprise to me as well. Some guests and cast members were sure that they were store bought, but nope.

And I know what you mean about the urge to want to go back...it's hard to ignore.

Esmeralda: The girls did receive some temporary princess tattoos after chatting with a dream squad person.

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

casrin
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by casrin » Aug Fri 31, 2007 8:01 am

Great photos! :)
-[b]casrin[/b]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~cparkins/images/userbar/userbar487580pb0.gif[/img][/url]

Esmeralda

Post by Esmeralda » Aug Fri 31, 2007 9:16 am

Wow, loved those shirts - they do look professional! Too bad the prize giveaway is random because all that effort and detailing seriously deserved a night at the castle. :mickey:

Edit: Glad to hear they did win something though!

Excellent pictures, makes me want to head out there to see the hidden Nemos for myself.

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Aug Fri 31, 2007 9:19 am

Esmeralda wrote: Too bad the prize giveaway is random because all that effort and detailing seriously deserved a night at the castle. :mickey:
I don't think that DLR has a castle suite that you can spend the night in. That's at WDW. DLR has the Mickey Penthouse at the Disneyland Hotel.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, Relayer, WDW Freak
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/4845/userbar499931tz9.gif[/img][/url]

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » Aug Fri 31, 2007 9:32 am

Great photos! Those shirts are way cool, and it sounds overall like it was a nice time.
Steve Baker ~ Travel Consultant :mickey3:
Steve.Baker@themagicforless.com
Affiliated with The Magic for Less
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]

Esmeralda

Post by Esmeralda » Aug Fri 31, 2007 9:39 am

js3901 wrote:
Esmeralda wrote: Too bad the prize giveaway is random because all that effort and detailing seriously deserved a night at the castle. :mickey:
I don't think that DLR has a castle suite that you can spend the night in. That's at WDW. DLR has the Mickey Penthouse at the Disneyland Hotel.
Whoops! Haha, wrong park. You get the jist anyhow. :oops:

danimal3114u

Post by danimal3114u » Aug Fri 31, 2007 11:03 am

great photos Lion! looks like there was great weather too! The pics are great for showing when you guys got special attention. Very cool!

SWHorn
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by SWHorn » Aug Fri 31, 2007 12:05 pm

Those shirts are super cute! Awesome! :D
No fear hath ye of evil curses, says you.
Arrrrrr.
Properly warned ye be, says I.

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Aug Fri 31, 2007 7:50 pm

Those shirts are awesome. I like the matterhorn one and the detail on the small world shirt is great.
The stroller makes me think of Cinderella's pumpking coach. Look at the size of the tires. :lol: