Great Beach and other sights outside of the parks

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

soccermouse
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Great Beach and other sights outside of the parks

Post by soccermouse » Feb Wed 21, 2007 11:54 am

WOW! This is my 100th post. Thanks for all the help on questions and stuff. We will be in Florida for 2 Sundays. We will not be in the parks on Sunday because of our beliefs but would like to enjoy some of the wonders of nature in Florida. Can you suggest a good beach within 100 miles or so and other sights that we should see? They would need to be places we can see without paying admission because we don't want others to have to work on Sunday because of us.
Thanks

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Feb Wed 21, 2007 5:36 pm

Clearwater beach, near Tampa, is a good place to go, and it's about an hour or so away. You can also go towards Daytona as well.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, Relayer, WDW Freak
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/4845/userbar499931tz9.gif[/img][/url]

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Feb Thu 22, 2007 1:03 pm

Ahh Clearwater home of the Phillies spring training. They just started full team practices yesterday. It is a great area, I was down there once during spring training, I loved the homes there they didn't look like snowbirds homes. You know sparse and unkempt.
[img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4131/userbar460642qi2.gif[/img][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5236/userbar460651xq4.gif[/img]
[img]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7677/userbar461525mz8.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneymountainrides.com/_i/banners/bar/SR_siteadmin.gif[/img]

*****Site Admin*****
[url=http://www.twitter.com/travenscroft]twitter[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/49f5nd]plurk[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/556rz4]Flickr[/url] |

TheGreatGonzo
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by TheGreatGonzo » Feb Fri 23, 2007 9:44 am

I agree, Clearwater is great!
If you want a little history you may want to try St. Augenstein which is an hour or so north of Daytona up I-95 or the A1A cost highway (two or three hours from WDW). I believe it was the first permanent settlement in the "New World".

ambiguity123
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by ambiguity123 » Mar Mon 05, 2007 5:54 pm

I like St. Augustine, too. Another thing you may want to try is hanging out in your hotel too. There are all sorts of great areas in all the hotels. You may also want to go to other hotels, too. You can even go to the beach at Poly, and the Beach & Yacht Club.

Although I can't blame you if you want to go to the beach!
DisneyBakers

tergiversate
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by tergiversate » Apr Wed 04, 2007 12:47 pm

I find the best beaches on the panhandle, if you wanted to drive farther. Destin and Ft. Walton are very family friendly, and the sand is white and water pure blue. Used to go nearly every year when I was little.

Sanibel Island is past the Everglades on the Gulf side. Beaches aren't as pretty, but good reasorts.
Humans strive for perfection and time just strives for tomorrow, and neither really gets there.

Keokagal
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by Keokagal » Apr Tue 10, 2007 3:49 pm

Honeymoon Island and Caladisi just past Clearwater. Nature trails, birds, cool crabs, privacy, Osprey. We'll be going back in Aug as part of our WDW trip. Do a google search. :ariel:
Peace and Good Health,
Debbie

scrplr17
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by scrplr17 » May Tue 01, 2007 10:46 am

COCOA BEACH. It is about an hour away. the beach has showers and isn't too busy. We always go there when we visit Disney, but its an easy drive. Lots of tolls though. there is a really nice restaurant there too with great seafood...Jack Baker's Lobster Shanty

rocketman
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by rocketman » May Wed 09, 2007 11:04 pm

For the pure unspoiled Floridian experience check out the Canaveral National Seashore

http://www.nps.gov/cana

You'll get a glimpse of the natural Florida without any of the touristy distractions other places offer. And being part of the National Parks system, rangers are there 24, 7 anyway so the guilt factor may be a little lower.

It's really an amazing place and fairly easy to reach from WDW.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » May Thu 10, 2007 10:17 am

You've got to see Sanibel and Captiva Islands (about 150 so miles from Orlando, but well worth it)!! They're two of the prettiest places on the planet!! Remember if you go, Do the Sanibel stoop, the shelling is world class (go to Bowman's beach, EARLY or after a storm). Also we like Gator Land, I know it's corny, but it's a fun place
Sanibel Island is past the Everglades on the Gulf side. Beaches aren't as pretty, but good reasorts.
Compared to what?? They're not past the glades!! They're off of the Ft Myers/Lee county cost, 45 miles north of Naples. The travel channel had Sanibel/Captiva list as one of top ten prettiest beachs in the country!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

tergiversate
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by tergiversate » May Thu 10, 2007 2:43 pm

Compared to what?? They're not past the glades!! They're off of the Ft Myers/Lee county cost, 45 miles north of Naples. The travel channel had Sanibel/Captiva list as one of top ten prettiest beachs in the country!!
they're not past the glades? sorry, it has been a while and my family did take a day trip out to the glades. and when I say the beaches aren't as pretty, I'm comparing them to the Florida panhandle which has white sands. Galveston is my 'hometown' beach which is brown and gross, so everything is prettier than that. Sanibel is great for shells and sand dollars, but when I was little I spent more time at the pool than the beach.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » May Thu 10, 2007 4:10 pm

they're not past the glades? sorry, it has been a while and my family did take a day trip out to the glades. and when I say the beaches aren't as pretty,
I lived in Ft Myers for 15 years. No; they're not past the Glades. Try using an on line map of Florida. They're about even with the north part of lake "O" (you can take 441 across the state to Palm Beach from down town Ft Myers) and that is considered the beginning of the Glades. How old were you when your family took this day trip?
About the beaches: I'm not just using my opinion, it's also the opinion of the Travel Channel. I don't mean to be rude, I really don't. I've lived on the west coast of Florida for a long time. Please check your facts.
P. S. I was stationed in Galveston for a while when I was in the Navy and that is a very pretty place!!

I'm sorry, my DW said I've read your post wrong. She also told me I'm being argumentative. If I am I apologies!!!! Sorry MY BAD!!

tergiversate
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by tergiversate » May Thu 10, 2007 9:54 pm

That's ok Jacca5660! Emotions and expressions can be hard to convey when using the internet, but I think forums/boards are meant for discussion. Besides, my facts were obviously not correct, so thanks for the info! You just sound proud of where you lived.

But my memories of Sanibel ARE hazy - went there one summer when I was ... 10? It was the early 90's. I was spoiled already by the beaches in the panhandle because the water there is so clear. It's neat to see your feet! So I guess we didn't do a day trip all the way into the Everglades, but we did venture into one park type place with a mangrove(ish) swamp. It was a traumatic experience because of the mosquitos.

LOVE the Travel Channel. So what was the top beach? I think I have seen parts of that episode, but only remember it had Hawaiii on it.

Yes, Galveston is a pretty place (I love the old architecture), but can't compare to any beach with blue water. I guess I really prefer the lakes and rivers of the Texas Hill Country.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » May Fri 11, 2007 9:50 am

but we did venture into one park type place with a mangrove(ish) swamp. It was a traumatic experience because of the mosquitos.
You were in Ding Darling National Sanctuary. It's can get pretty boring for a kid. It is a great place to take wildlife pictures.
So what was the top beach?
I believe it was a beach in Hawaii. I'm not sure which one though.

jiminycricket
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by jiminycricket » Jul Sun 15, 2007 9:39 pm

We used to go to Sanibel every year when I was a teenager. I really enjoyed looking for shells and sand dollars. It was always a very relaxing trip. I am really wanting to take my children back there because I have such good memories. I have also been to St. Augustine once and thought it was beautiful!